Digital Camera Suggestions

boomac

My daughter just announced that she would like a digital camera for Christmas. I'm a 35mm SLR guy and have no real understanding of the new stuff. In an effort to save time & money, I ask any of you, with digital pothographic knowledge, for some helpful hints. College kid that will take pictures of friends and use on various trips. She wants it small and compact but the more pixels the better she says! Advice appreciated.

Hit your local library and peruse the Novemeber, 2004 issue of Consumer Reports. They have a detailed rundown on many, many models by pixel range and price along with recommendatons on what to buy for they way it will be used.

I could list some of what they say here but it wouldn't give the overview you would have by actually going through the articles, which, of course, can be photocopied to take with you to the store.

Stay away from the bottom end HP's. I have one and the colors are very bad and the pictures are grainy.

I just helped a friend do the same thing. Both Popular Photography and Consumer Reports recommended Nikon, Canon, and Fujifilm models, all between 2 & 3 megapixels, and all around $150 (at Walmart, etc). These are the equivalent of similar priced point&shoot film cameras. All have a 3x zoom lens. All their recommendations are slightly out of date, so the specific model #s won't necessarily be the same, but you should be able to identify those in the price and MP range. One or more may not come with a memory chip, and will need one (128 mB is about $40). All should have software for image editing and management and USB connector for downloading to computer.

I purchased the Nikon Coolpix 5200(5.1 megapix) about 6 months ago (prices are coming down now) and I love it! It takes the SD cards which are the smallest available memory and you can get a 512mb SD card now for $50 or less!!!! 512mb will hold about 200 shots in 5.1.

It makes great photo's and even takes 30 frame per second video's with sound.

(I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend)

my two cents....

----------------

On 12/16/2004 12:58:54 PM boomac wrote:

I'm a 35mm SLR guy and have no real understanding of the new stuff.

----------------

High five, man! I'm 35mm from now until eternity, and then until I die. Digital/HD will NEVER beat out film! Not as long as I live!

With that said, the Casio digicams seem to be all the rage nowadays. Afterall, they make those xslim cameras, and as we all know, size is the name of the game.

Typically the highest rated by users are the Cannon A model

cameras. The A75, A85 and now the A95. In consumer reports in the

4-5 megapixel range the Kodak, Olimpus and Nikon are the three top

rate. The HP R707 is a CR Best Buy, but I agree above I would stay

away from them. My only knock agaist the Cannon's are they don't come with

rechargeable batteries and it takes four so the camera is heavier then

other. In this range get atleast a 128MB memory card. A 256 or higher

will be better. A lot depends on how much you want to spend. The $250-$350

range will be the ball pak for the camera. Extras will run an additional

$100. Good Luck

ok I always been a 35 mm myself with a bit of 120 on the side. But a year ago my brother got a sony 5.1 megapixel with the zeiss lens. I'm from the 35 mm world where the zeiss and leica lens are called god's own lens. But anyhoo, if your bugdet affords I say some sonys, as they are small, light, and pretty good at pictures. The 7.1 megapixels all use sony digital meters anyways. But there big. 5.1 just right in size and quality.

I suggest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=354004&is=REG'>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=354004&is=REG JUST KIDDING!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=335492&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo'>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=335492&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=327941&is=REG'>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=327941&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=353667&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo'>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=353667&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

though browse the website for some other cameras

I'm also a 35mm guy and never owned a digital camera (yet). But I've used compact digitals from Fuji, Olympus, Nikon, and Canon, and they all take surprisingly good snapshots. Any model from these manufacturers would be great for your daughter.

My youngest brother just bought a new Canon D10 pro digital SLR with battery pack, lenses, and several bounce flashes...Holy $hit! The picture quality really rivals slide film in overall contrast, color balance and saturation. With Canon's pro AF lenses, the pictures are tack-sharp; it's amazing how far advanced digital photography has come over the years!

----------------

On 12/16/2004 3:01:28 PM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

On 12/16/2004 12:58:54 PM boomac wrote:

I'm a 35mm SLR guy and have no real understanding of the new stuff.

----------------

High five, man! I'm 35mm from now until eternity, and then until I die. Digital/HD will NEVER beat out film! Not as long as I live!

With that said, the Casio digicams seem to be all the rage nowadays. Afterall, they make those xslim cameras, and as we all know, size is the name of the game.

----------------

Film probably won't ever go away (like VHS, records or cassette tapes), but Canon's latest 35 mm DSLR (see link) is just another shot through the bow of film. The EOS-1Ds Mark II has raised the bar with it's 16.6 mega-pixel sensor... it's probably the equal of, or better than most other professional 35 mm SLR film cameras. Of course it cost's $8000 (body only). However, the top of the line, consumer point-and-shoot cameras are already using 8 mega-pixel sensors, with great features and good lenses. So it's only a matter of time before they catch up.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10598

Thanks for all the information and ideas. I have my list and will try and get out shopping tomorrow. I think I'll try and stay in the $250 to $300 range. My kid can buy accessories with the money the relatives give her for Christmas.

Another item to keep in mind is that the Canon's and Nikon's have glass lens versus plastic in the Kodak's, Fuji, and others. I'm sure there might be exceptions to this, but it's generally the rule.

I, myself, have a Canon A40 which is now called (I think) the A75. I bought some rechargeable AA's for it and a 128M card. I've been very happy with this camera and it does all I ever want it to do. I'm no photography guy and will never be. So for me, an inexpensive point-n-shoot was the ticket. As for mega-pixels....who really needs 6 or 8? Hell, you can't upload a photo at that resolution. Well, I guess you could, but why? You certainly wouldn't want to on this forum. And what's the chances of wanting to have a photo blown up to say 8X10 which is when an 6 or 8 megapixel shot pays off? Besides, it's for your daughter going off to college - i.e. it'll get tossed around at football games, have beer spilled on it, dropped, etc. I would think something like the Canon A75 or A85 or the Nikon 4100 would be all she really needed.

Lastly, I think you should wait until the day before Christmas to go shopping for it. C'mon....be a man. Get out there and fight those women! It'll be like hunting. You'll feel better having to actually work (or fight) for that camera.2.gif

Tom

----------------

On 12/17/2004 10:59:53 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Lastly, I think you should wait until the day before Christmas to go shopping for it. C'mon....be a man. Get out there and fight those women! It'll be like hunting. You'll feel better having to actually work (or fight) for that camera.

Tom

----------------

For most of my life I have shopped at the last minute. I always figured the best lookin' chicks were procrastinators and I wanted to be shoppin' when they were. Ya know, I was right but I guess, after 31 years of marriage to the same chick, I've lost some enthusiasm for that scene. You're makin' me think though and the older I get the better they look. I think I'll wait till next week to buy this camera.11.gif

----------------

On 12/17/2004 2:23:40 AM boomac wrote:

Thanks for all the information and ideas. I have my list and will try and get out shopping tomorrow. I think I'll try and stay in the $250 to $300 range. My kid can buy accessories with the money the relatives give her for Christmas.
----------------

Scott,

I'd agree with Tom Adams and go with one of the
. They have very good ratings, and they are in your price range.

I have bought two digitals from
in the past with zero problems and great prices. I had an Canon A75 before I bought a Canon G5. It was a great camera for the price.

Good luck!

I have taken more pictures in the past 3 years with my Canon digital S200 than I have over the last 40 years with all my other cameras combined.

The two main reasons for that is that it is very small and that I am not wasting film.

I can't stress this enough - get a really small one and get at least a 256mb card.

Don't get hung up on megapixels or whatever. What counts is the person behind the camera, not the camera.