Digital Camera Suggestions

boomac

Without question, I recommend the Canon A95. I bought one for my son and my daughter receieved one as a gift from someone else. They both love them. I bought my wife the Canon A80 last Xmas and she loves hers. The A80 is last year's model but you can still buy them for a pretty good price on the web. A95 is 5 megapixel while the A80 is 4.

My parents just gave me an Olympus D-580 for Xmas. They gave it to me today so I could learn to use it by the holiday.

Neither they nor I know anything about them so I have no idea how good it is, but I don't care, it was very thoughtful of them and I'm very happy. 9.gif

Hopefully I'll have some pics of my system on here shortly. 1.gif

"High five, man! I'm 35mm from now until eternity, and then until I die. Digital/HD will NEVER beat out film! Not as long as I live!"

Amen Nicholtl!

My Hassleblads will outlive me and I hope I'm there clicking away when it happens! Got friends charging $4 grand for weddings printing on inkjets in their basements- horrible!

I'm still REAL Film REAL Cameras REAL Paper and chemistry. Long live ART!

IF YOU MUST go digital, get as much OPTICAL zoom as you can afford, it's all in the lens. No amount of photoshop work can make up for a fuzzy photo. A digital camera with physically a large lens opening will be better. The Sony line is very good in this regard. Switchable lens a no-no at this level because it just introduces dust and contaminants into the very fragile digital chip area. ALso the size of the chip is important, not just the megapixals. When possible, capture images in RAW mode and do the math (interpolation) at the computer, reason, the camera's have inferior computers due to finances. If on a big trip and she needs lots of images, switch to TIFF or Jpeg compressed modes for smaller file sizes. Teach her to download everything to computer and backup to disk or all her memories could EASILY be lost! Another digital problem.

Michael

Michael: I too still have only film 35 mm's and I'd practically give my left nut for a Nikon F5 or F6. I have no digital still cameras of my own. However, I sure do enjoy borrowing the Canon A80 I gave my wife last Christmas. That's one, handy little camera when I want to post some shots to the web. I do believe one day I will be moving into the digital still realm, but it'll most likely be after film begins to get scarce. I used to think that would never happen. But, ever since Kmart bought Sears, I suppose ANYTHING is possible! 9.gif

Michael,

I know that you're sticking with film, but do you have any thoughts on a "prosumer" level digital camera like the Nikon Coolpix 8700 or Canon Powershot Pro1 vs digital SLR like the Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel. These are the models that I am looking at. My wife like the idea of capturing movie clips with the non-SLR models. I don't know if that would be used much, but we don't really plan on getting a camcorder so it might be of some use to us.

Here is a comparison of those 3 cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos300d%2Cnikon_cp8700%2Ccanon_pro1&show=all

SF area? models? say no more! If I had the funds I'd be there in a heartbeat, I'll bring the PAM (frequently used for body building models to enhance that nice skin shine- sprays on faster than even Picky could give a good baby oil rub!)

What kind of shooting do you do Neo?

Sadly I only own Nikon F2, 8008 and F100, never needed all that fancy stuff.

Lens 16 fish, 28, 55, 85 1.2, 80-200 2.8

Hassie three bodies about same lens arsenal.

GO HARD OR STAY HOME

Michael

Mark, when a ProSumer model tries to do too many things, like capture motion and/or sound, I think there's just too much stuff going on in there, it'll all break soon. The Canon digital videos are awesome and getting so inexpensive, there's no reason not to have a camera to specialize in motion and one for stills. Unless you just can't go on vacation with two hanging around your neck. I still like SOny because of their Zeiss lenses for still units. Megapixals only tell part of the story. Features and Lens are far more important to me. Remember if you have a better optical zoom, you won't have to use pixalated digital zoom at all.

Or just email me or call to chat. 317-465-9744

Okay, EDIT POST,

You got me curious so I looked up your chart. Canon Rebel (1st camera) you're able to swap lenses, so more varied uses for future. Others are single fixed lens with no upgrade. Rebel had better on-camera flash but only 12 ft at 100asa. All have hot shoe so you can put pro flash on (recommended) Rebel also goes to 1600 speed although it prob looks real grainy/noise (as 1600 usually does) The Nikon has good features, better metering, partial metal body, f2.8 at wide angle and more controls than the cheaper Canon. IE you can do more professional 'you-make-the decision' settings on the Nikon. Only 400 asa, though, but it does have you built in movie feature if that's important to you. I like the layout of the machine and if it's like other Nikons (okay, I'm a fan) the controls are probably as logistical as my iMac or Honda Accord - I like being able to run complicated machinery by instinct. Buttons should be where they ought to be. The last Canon I prob woulnd't bother with, it's the least of all worlds in my mind. WIth $$ the same the Canon Rebel is the most powerful, full featured semi-pro camera because of lens switching. The Nikon would be my overall favorite if the built in lens zoom is enough for you. Last note. Nikon is 35mm-280mm optical zoom, the third choice Canon is 28mm-200mm. So unless you need pretty wide angle, and there is quite a diff between 28 and 35, the Nikon is tops there as well, although its 4.2 at 280, that's capturing a good candid from quite a long ways away.

Chime in here nicholtl!

Hope this helps!

Michael

Michael, I shoot (mainly) portraits, models and weddings. I also shoot company brochures and occasionaly breaking news for local newspapers.

I do all my professional works in square format on three totally mechanical Hassies, 6 film backs, 9 lens and 2 Metz flashes.

I also have the Nikon FM, FE2, F3, F4 and F5, two backs, 12 lens and 5 flashes.

Films all the way, baby!

However, I also own a Nikon D100 Digital SLR but I don't use it that much.

WOW, and I thought I had some Hassie gear. YOU are the King my friend! Lets hope they keep making film. Heard Ilford went out of business this year, that's kind of scary. Also CW bodies, 30, 50, 80, 120, 180 lenses. Gotta go fishin! I carry like 6 backs on a wedding day. Make those little girl assistants work for their $$! LOL

Do you have website for your work? Mine's still 'in progress' the result of a bad trade out with a graphic designer friend. But I use ProShots for internet wedding viewing. WIll send you passwords when I get my most two recent ones up and running.

Michael

• 1 month later...

We decided to wait and give the Digital Camera to our daughter for her 21st Birthday. It was yesterday and the camera we picked out was a Cannon Power Shot S410. We bought it from a local shop where the salesman really did a great job explaining the options. The A95 and the S410 were his recommendations. I liked the A95 but the S410 was smaller and more compact. My son thought she would appreciate the S410 for that reason.

Thanks very much for all the comments and advice. I really appreciated the responses and will let you know how it works out. Pretty neat little camera.

Cannon S4101.jpg