Shure Replacement Policy changes and Rega TT Questions

thebes

Golly gee, I just happen to have one of those hemostat/roachclip thingys, I wonder where that came from?

Final denoument, tried soldering no joy. With many thanks to Gary they are off to his local tech tomorrow hopefully just for soldering in new clips to the existing wire. I want to do the wire upgrade but I'm getting close to be tapped out, and I still want a better cd player, acquire a pair of Heritage, send my Fisher 500c to Craig for a rebuild and.....

----------------

On 12/16/2004 1:59:03 PM thebes wrote:

Also should I pick up a stylus force tracking gauge or is that overkill?

Also, this is a fully manual turntable, so what if I'm out of the room when the record ends. Will I hurt the needle, will my tonearm get dizzy from spinning around, around and around?

Finally I want to thank Colin for the EnjoytheMusic.com website where I picked up a free alignment gauge so I could set up the cart. Pretty cool sight, which I continue to visit from time to time.

----------------

A stylus force trackng guage is handy for confirming that the actual dialed in force on your tonearm is accurate. Many tonearms are not accurate with this. Shure makes a very simple and cheap one.

Letting the stylus run in to the inner groove for a short time will not hurt it - it will just go thump, thump, thump... Do NOT, however, get drunk, fall asleep while playing records and let it thump, thump, thump all night. This is a sure fire way of burning up the hours on your stylus life without even getting to hear music.

If you ever get hard core with cartridge alignment, you need to get the Elite Townshend alignment guage. This is the website:

www.townshendaudio.com

I can't give you the exact link because their website is hopelessly slow this morning.

Unlike the two point method that most everybody uses (Shure included), this guage allows you to optimize the alignment at ALL points across the record and, wonder of wonders, actually SHOWS you how to get it right with graphs. And the proof is in the pudding - do a regular two point alignment and then follow it up with the Elite guage and you will clearly see why the two point process is not good enough.

Als beware of the fact that different guages give different results, i.e. a Denneson Soundtraktor gives different results than the Mobile Fidelity GeoDisc. I will not be surprised of the alignment guage that came with my brand-new Shure V15VxMR doesn't give a third different result.

Bottom line on alignment - it depends on the INDIVIDUAL TT and arm and exactly how the arm was mounted and its relationship to the spindle (yours is different than mine because it ain't a perfect world). The two mount guages assume it was mounted absolutely spot-on whereas the Elite guage allows you to correct for slightly off arm mounting.