should i upgrade my surround speakers? last day for exchange

yoha

Hi folks,

I am new to HT and still in the process of reading anything that has to do with home theater setup, lingo, etc from books, and websites. It has come to my understanding based on the knowledge i acguired, specifically on the surround speakers which i have, Klipsch rsx-5. is a bipole speaker. In fact it is a sattelite/bookshelf speaker and perhaps not intended to be a surround speaker. is it correct to conjugate that the rsx-5 speaker to be a bipole speaker?

My question is should i exchange it for a true surround speaker like the RS-XX line, which i believe to be a dipole speaker? however, my reservations are they are not availabe in silver(all my equipments are in this color), i dont know whether the RS-xx line will offer any significant "enveloping" sound output compared to my rsx-5 satellite.

in the event that the RS-xx surrounds provide better diffusion output, then i have no choice but to return all speakers in exchange for RF-xx, RC-xx, and RSW-xx. although i have to admit, these are all very big, and dont't look as good as to my current setup.

appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations. Thank you

ps: you can take a look @ my current setup here:

http://members.cox.net/zer0sn0nes/system2.jpg

Best Regards,

Yohannes Wijaya

In my thinking, the wide dispersion Klipsch line RS-xx, is not a true bipole since it radiates both in toward listening position and forward/back at angles. It is kind of a blend. I think these work well in todays multi-channel discrete systems when used as SIDE surrounds, that is in addition to DIRECTIONAL REAR surround speakers. In the old ProLogic days, it was accepted practice just to let the surround sound bounce around willy-nilly, but now that we have 7.1 channels of discrete, full range sound, many users are finding the RBxx line to be more useful for their main and rear position surrounds, utilizing the RSxx line for the side postions when going from 5.1 to 7.1

Hope this helps, but I see where your current lineup does fit your decor very well. If you are happy now, why change?

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for your response. The reason why i am thinking of changing is because primarily i wanna get the best diffusion out of my surround environment. I am pretty sure thr RSX-5 speakers that i have now are directional speakers. I am however happy with my current front 3 channels. In your opinion, will upgrading the current surrounds to RS-xx speakers will provide me with the aforementioned goal? or the current surround setup suffices? the only store that carries klipsch line in my area unfortunately does not have the rs-xx speakers to be tested, only via online order. I am also initially thinking of purchasing an additional pair of surround for the back surround.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards,

Yohannes