Best laid plans....

maxg

There appears to have been a slight mistake in calculations (mine) in terms of my plans for a new TT.

I had planned to go for the Clearaudio Solution with a steady upgrade path towards the maximum solution with the mega top end linear arm of theirs.

I thought the Maximum solution with said arm and power unit came to about 8000 euros. It appears I was wrong. That is the price for the TT on its own. Add around 5,000 for the arm poweer supply and it comes out at a retail of something like 13,000 which is way, way to much for my blood.

I was hoping it was 8000 and that I would get a discount bringing it nearer to 6,000 which is a level I could live with as a long term investment plan.

Even with the discounts I can get on the TT we are talking almost double what I had planned.

In other words - bugger bugger bugger - back to the drawing board!

The trouble is that no cheap TT is going to do it. I may take the mickey out of myself in terms of the mad upgrading I have done to my own TT - but ultimately it does now play superbly - way better than the sum of its parts - and to get something that plays measurably better is going to need not only a rather special TT but great synergy with my existing Shelter 901 - at least as good as I have now.

I know, for example that my setup bests this:

edition.jpg

Simply because the RB300 does not match the Shelter as well as the Project 9 arm.

(For reference that is the Acoustic Solid Edition which Tony had with my cartridge and the assessment is his, not mine.)

The VPI arm - being uni-pivot - does not look like a good match either as this cart has very low compliance.

Rega arms in general - due to the lack of VTI adjustment are out - at least the ones I know of.

An SME might be a good idea - but I would need to try one out to see.

I think the Transrotor I saw at the show uses SME:

transrotor%20beauty.jpg?dc=4675498519448

It is certainly a winner in the looks department - I rather like the blue too - I wonder if I can get a test on one - with the Shelter...

Cant believe I am back at stage one! If anyone has any good ideas on matchs for a shelter - preferably in an upgradable platform I am all ears....

Thanks Stan!

Larry,

Clever! I had forgotten about Basis - not only are they sold here - but they are sold by the Klipsch distributor who I am on very good terms with. I will definitely give them a spin - no idea on arms on those things though.

Nice one!!

They cant use Final solution - that is the name of the best model from Acoustic Signature - also a German company.

14.gif14.gif14.gif14.gif

It is another appeal of the Transrotor company (which is yet another German company). Their models have very different names, like "fat bob".

Can you imagine being asked what TT you run by a guy called Robert?

SMACK!!

Max,

I shall no longer repeat the word 'Thorens' for obvious reasons 2.gif , but have a look at the following link:

http://www.jcverdier.com/platineV/platineV.html

At least in Europe this TT is seen by many as one of THE very best!!!

And I all for SME arms, I have actually heard the 3012 with the Shelter and it was a pretty nice combination.

Wolfram

----------------

On 12/21/2004 10:52:36 AM seti wrote:

6,000 8,000 13,000 20,000 euros just forget about the numbers budgets are made to be broken i personally like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by

----------------

Yeah - I did that at around 3000 euros - becomes dizzying after 10,000...

Whatever I get my daughter still has to eat - ya know!!

Max,

If you do look at Basis, make sure to hunt down a Vector tonearm. When Larry upgraded from the Graham 2.2, it was night and day and the Graham ain't no slouch as you know. I got lucky and won a nice one on an A'gon auction. It's one of the best kept secrets out there IMO. I couldn't be happier with my set-up. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking in the $10K or under price range.

Good luck on your quest Max. It will be interesting to see where you end up and how much it will cost to get you there. I've read that some Shelters owners do in fact, use the JMW arms. Seek advise here by I would not exclude the JMWs on the compliance issue alone. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Are you dead set on keeping the Shelter 901? What about the 90x?

p.s. I just upgraded to the VPI Scoutmaster along with the HRX clamp and outer ring clamp. It also comes with a new one-piece belt made from Delrin and has anti resonance properties.