Best Buy salesmen

Professor.Ham.Slap

Bah! So I went out with my dad to help him find a sweet HDTV, and we settled on this gem (going to be delivered on the 26th... a little late for Christmas but who am I to complain 9.gif ). Now I gave my dad the heads up and told him that the salesman was going to try to push all kinds of crazy cables on us and just to essentially ignore anything and everything he says. Welp, sure enough: "You need to buy these, or the picture will suck." After much prying, my dad started to give way and I told the guy my thoughts and I got a death stare that even my girlfriend would be envious of. He then proceded to essentially say I didn't know what I was talking about.

So anyway, a few minutes later and $350 in Monster cable later (yeah... $350 for one HDMI cable, one DVI cable and a stereo audio cable) our cart is loaded. Granted, my father's reasoning for purchasing these was "Well, if we're spending this much on a TV, we might as well spring for premium interconnects." However, I'm just cheesed that the damn salesman would have the audacity to essentially say I didn't know jack about that stuff... But on a positive ending note, after we forced them to do a price match, I also forced him to throw in a crappy HTIB (to hold things over until I get a reference system for them), 10% off a Monster Power Conditioner (we actually do need that) and the Elton John Concert Series DVD to keep my mother happy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, some of those sales men can be jackasses or dumbasses. or both at once.

well in the end you got some other stuff so it worked out ok.

and i should mention i REALLY like the screen very nice. im sure he'll enjoy his purchase every second he uses it

scp532.gif

Plz don't take this personally,.....but.....sounds like the salesman met your expectations and your Dad didn't. My mom did the same with me. After umpteen years of college and an accomplished career she still believed that I was wrong about her smoking. She doesn't believe that any longer as most everything I warned her about came to pass.15.gif Seems as though parents can't get their offspring out of the little kid mode, sometimes.

I seriously hate pushy salespeople. Had I been in your position I'd have told him/her to shove the deal and left dragging Daddy with me. There's plenty of places to do business with. Mebbe you can still unravel the deal?!?

Here's my answer. Take the cables back. Tell the sales people you used very cheap cables that were gray and free and came with a cheap little wire arap around them and then you used the Monster Cables and you couldn't tell the difference and now you want your money back.

I had the exact same experience last week and walk out of the store. See my post at:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58498&sessionID={5EA8423B-E10D-4854-9BBE-7AD14DAD15DC}

Funny, I had an unpleasant Best Buy experience today also in Fort Collins CO. Bunch of kids that are jackasees really.

So, I drove down to Soundtrack. Was offered coffee upon entry. Sales people were not pushy at all and VERY knowledgeable of their products. Store was clean and well layed out and you could watch a regular TV signal--not just the Best Buy HDTV-only feed.

I will probably buy from them--great customer service and a 30 day money back, no questions asked guarantee. And, they sell Klipsch:). Makes it a no brainer.

Mike

Sometimes I don't know whats worse : The fact that the salesperson is pushing $350 in cables, or that they actually believe you need them.

A friend of mine used to work at a Best Buy. It isn't just the A/V area where they do this. He worked in the computer section. They would be told to push the $40 gold pinned printer cables over the $5-$10 ones. Why....so the data would travel faster.

Sadly, people usually believed it.

----------------

On 12/23/2004 9:18:42 PM Shade wrote:

Sometimes I don't know whats worse : The fact that the salesperson is pushing $350 in cables, or that they actually believe you need them.

A friend of mine used to work at a Best Buy. It isn't just the A/V area where they do this. He worked in the computer section. They would be told to push the $40 gold pinned printer cables over the $5-$10 ones. Why....so the data would travel faster.

----------------

Why do you think I got out of that gawdawful place.

My boss patted me on the back for selling this poor guy $300 worth of Monster cables to go with a $500 HTiB.

I didn't sleep very well that night.

----------------

>>> snipped for brevity<<<

Why....so the data would travel faster.

----------------

I thought you were kidding, but then I realized you weren't.

Scary.

It's like the old days when large Automotive service vendors (starts with S) would sell non-mechanical people new shocks, brakes,

and front end parts when all they needed was air in their tires. Finally the law stepped in for fraud and they don't do that anymore.

----------------

----------------

All I can say is just wow... Seriously though sometimes I wonder if these guys are just trying to make a sale or they just eat the crap that is fed to them. I think I remember hearing that Best Buy employees don't make any kind of commission so I can't help but wonder what incentive is driving them to move those Monster cables unless they actually believe it. Oh well, to the credit of Monster though the DVI cable's outer jacket feels like it could be fed into a lawnmower and not get cut...

----------------

On 12/23/2004 9:24:40 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

----------------

My boss patted me on the back for selling this poor guy $300 worth of Monster cables to go with a $500 HTiB.

----------------

Griff your a saint.12.gif

Tom

----------------

On 12/23/2004 9:24:40 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

I think its almost human nature to think if you pay more, you get better performance. I always hated "the gold connectors for a printer cable" push. Its like, parallel is so slow anyways, no amount of gold will improve the speed.

I actually had a good experience at Best Buy a year ago. I was in there showing my son the Bose surround system and telling him to listen for what's NOT there, and the somewhat older salesman walks up and introduces himself. He then asks if I was interested in a Home Theater. I say no, just like all the acoustic tricks but that I'm really into stereo anyway. He asks what I have...

Cornwalls and Tubes says I.

He laughs and says, so there is no way in Hell you'll be buying this and *IF* you were to try, I'd have to hurt you.

I laughed at that and we got to talking a bit. He liked old Jensen stuff and vinyl. I didn't buy anything that day, but when I bought a playstation II and then later, a TV, I asked specifically for him so he would get the commission. Last month I had to buy a washing machine for a rental unit and as usual asked for Tom. Tom now worked at HH Gregg (they wouldn't tell me that, but the phone book did)... so I went to HH Gregg to get the washing machine.

anyway, I've never had a bad experience at Best Buy. There will be the first time, I'm sure.

Forrest