Classic KG2 with Home Theater

seaneys

Hello,

I'm starting to build a home theater. I currently have a pair of KG2s. I plan to acquire additional speakers as I can find classics in good condition. Can anyone recommend for or against the Yamaha HTR 5790 as a receiver? I'm looking for a mid tier ($400 to $700) range reciever. The Yamaha has recently received good reviews...

Steve

I currently use the KG2.2's as surround in a 5.1 home theater (Soon to be six when I find another 2.2 for my rear center.) I think you will be happpy with the speakers. However, you will definitely want to add a real topnotch sub if you are going to use them as your mains. They get pretty muddy if you try to run sounds below 100hz through them (IMHO) Even though they would qualify as needing the "large" setting according my amp, I keep them set as "Small"

In the modest home theater, most non-audiophiles won't find much of a difference between amps. I have heard good things about the Yamaha as well.

Good luck as you build your "Classic" Klipsch system. Also, try to stick to other speakers from the "Classic" line, as the timbre won't match very well with the new stuff. Especially the Synergy line.

Happy New Year1.gif

Steve:

Harmon Kardon makes some very nice receivers in that price range - I have the HK AVR430 receiver which is 65W/channel and has all the typical "goodies" you could want for a new user. HK is a reliable name and makes good products; check the out!

Popbumper