RB-25/35 or RF-15 and receiver help....please

atomicskiier01

I am about to drop $1500 on a home theater (speakers + receiver) and I would like some advice. Because money will not allow more, I am looking at the RF-15's or RB-25's to go with the RC-25 and RS-25's and a RW-8. I am considering RB-35's but I know that I would be getting into purchasing the RC-35 and RS-35 to go with it, and that is bringing it up to another price bracket. This will be a 5.1 surround system for movies AND music. I am also looking at about $400 for the receiver. I have looked at the Denon AVR-1705 or 1905 and the Yamaha HTR-5750.

I would like to know if either of these receivers would be a good choice and mabye some more input on which speakers that I should choose from the ones given. I was going to buy a synergy system, but after reading the posts on this board it seems to be a given that the reference series is far superior, and I am willing to put up some extra dough for that quality. Thanks for any help!

if you can afford it go with bigger center and mains. the rears dont have to be the same number to match. all the refs voice match, just the bigger ones are more powerful and sound better(but still match lesser ones). one strong recommendation i have is DONT get the rw 8. thats not nearly enough sub. its a good sub but get at least get a rw10 if it has to be a klipsch sub. but because your budget tied to some extent consider a svs sub or a sub kit. the klipsch are fine but when money is an issue look at other alternatives.

one other note is im glad to hear your going with refs and not synergy's. the synergy's are good but the old ones (and probably new ones) sound muffled compared to the refs. the synergy's are not as dynamic, etc. ive seen many people on here go and get them with out thinking about spending a wee bit more. ok, enough said about that.

good luck,

scp53

----------------

On 12/26/2004 5:14:24 PM atomicskiier01 wrote:

. I am considering RB-35's but I know that I would be getting into purchasing the RC-35 and RS-35 to go with it, and that is bringing it up to another price bracket.

----------------

Welcome to this never ending money sucking hobby of ours. I had the same set up as you, upgraded to the 35s in less then a year, and I will seriously consider the ultras.

if you can though, go 35s, more full and even sound.

Good luck!

COuld you give % of HT to 2 channel listening? If you're mainly movies, you want to stay as close to evenly matched set all around as possible. If maily 2 ch, allow more budget to L/R speakers, rears could be smaller.

I gravitate to RB type speakers all around. For rears, a more directional, full range sound is needed for digital because each soundtrack is discrete. You DO NOT want the sound bouncing around the room Blo$e-style. The three across the front should be a very close match. All RB25 would be good. RC25 with RB35 not far off. More $$ would allow RF speakers, but in this range, I'd spring for a KSW12 or other subwoofer. A 12 with separate amp will be leagues ahead of the second 5 ro 6 in woofer you'd gain going from RB to RF for mains. HT REQUIRES sub, no way around it, even with the big boys!

Denon or Yamaha, pick based on features. Remember to look closely at wattage ratings. Yam HTR series is rated at 1 kHz, not at 20-20,000. Don't know about Denon. I'm a Yamaha man personally. Like their sound fields, remotes, and don't find the 'harshness' that others claim. I have posted a review of RXV2400 in the last 60 days.

I always recheck a newbies post and edit mine, so here's the bottom line. Get the RB25's so you match across the front. If the RW8 doesn't do it for you, get bigger sub. RS in back will be okay for now.

Here's the upgrade:

Move RS to side surrounds, RC25 to center rear, RB25 to main surrounds, then buy a new set of monsters for across the front. Once you get bitten by the bug, you'll be surprised how easy the funds are to come by! There you go.

Hope this helps

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for the abundance of information that you have just given me. It really makes it easier to make a decision when experienced people (not the ones trying to sell the product) help to pick it out.

If I had to guess at a percentage, I'd guess 60/40% Movies/Music. I think that I have a great start here. I may splurge on some RF-35's and a RC-35, and then use some older speakers for surrounds until I can get the RS-35's.

What do you think of this idea? Is RF-35 much better than the RB-35? Would I be able to go a while without a sub if I got the RF-35's instead of RB-35's?

Thanks!

Think of RF vs RB this way. Twice the woofer cone area equals (at a given volume) 1/2 the cone excursion, which is 1/2 the distortion. Plus maybe a tad low end, but count on your sub for that.

RS series is still best for side surrounds, so I'd plan on getting RB type speaker for main rear as soon as you can. And keep the three across the front similar and you'll be good to go!

Michael

Denon vs Yammie, how's it looking?

Probably the Yamaha, I have a friend who works at BB, and they sell the reciever there so he could probably get me a discount. I have $100 in gift cards for best buy also. So probably the Yamaha. What I really would like to know is it this model (Yamaha HTR-5750) is going to be enough to drive the system (RB-25/35 or RF-15). Any comments?