O/T Tsunami Disaster

edwinr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not without faith, just without blind faith. Think about it, Why would anybody create such disaster. I might be the kindest person on the planet, and I'm that way because of my parents and peers, not some unknown being. Religion is amazing. I watched a show on armageddon last night on the history channel. The final battle was suppossed to happen in Israel, the biblical pictures had everyone with light hair and pale skin. How can people belive this is the way people in the Middle east look. Look at every picture of Jesus, he was from Bethlem in the middle east, not Stockholm Sweden.

You should be judged on how you are to your fellow people, not how often you go to church or how much money you donate to your chosen religion. Instead of going to church on Sunday or whenever go out and help a stranger or volunteer to a charity, they are really the needy, not organized religions who have millions and millions of dollars.

Moon

I didn't say you did. But if God is responsible for everything then he must have right. I don't want to take this any farther, just let me say that people might want to think about root causes of things, not just put the universal God did this for a reason on things.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 8:04:51 AM Allan Songer wrote:

You don't understand the fear of the average Protestant who is quaking in the hands of an angry God. Go read some Knox, Luther and Edwards. We are BORN sinners and no level of "innocence" can protect us from the wrath of God. No amount of "good works" can help lead us to salvation. We are only saved through the grace of God and it has NOTHING to do with how we live our lives or even if we "accept" Jesus as our saviour.

It's a brutal and razor sharp version of Christianity . . .

----------------

Allan-Don't forget Calvin in that group of authors/theologians. Your summation is pretty good, although the description is more for a Reformed Protestant than not. I would probably clarify the position to state that God causes man to be saved and accept Christ as his Savior which, in turn, should result in a life more dedicated to purity, which should lead to good works although sin will still be present in his life. He would also be very conscious of the sin in his life. "Quaking in his boots" is a bit dramatic.

David

moon,

sorry if i misunderstood and added to the religious hijacking of this thread.

this wave really pulls on the heart when you see so many dead. i can not imagine what it must be like. i have been reading about it all morning...how they don't have enough body bags for the dead, bodies washing up on the shores and unidentifiable, and other horrific things like mass graves.

i tried to imagine seeing my wife's body, half naked and wrapped in a sheet, tossed into a big pit with other bodies to be buried just to prevent disease spread....now imagine yourself and all your neighbors going through the same torment of having to bury and leave loved ones like that.

for me as an american, 9-11 was bad, the earthquake during the world series was bad, but still no where near the scale of how bad this tragedy is and will be. it crushed me to lose family members to death and disease, but still it may happen once every few years, and when it does, i get to mourn in my house with family and friends comforting me...bringing me food and wishes of better times. these people don't have that, they have crushed and flooded homes (if any at all), everyone wades in a soup of seawater, human remains, sewage, and mud. all the while trying to cope with the massive loss of friends and family.

i implore anyone who reads this to do something...even if it is as simple as dropping off clothes or a couple dollars at a collection point. these people are in need of the world's comfort in this time of pain and suffering.

My heart and prayers go out to all of the families who have been affected by this disaster. I don't remember who started this thread (edwinr?), but I think it is a good idea if we could add to the list of donation centers and ways of donating at the top of the thread.

David

I would specifically recommend the American Red Cross's International Response Fund. You can go to the ARC website posted by Tankhokie and then earmark you donation for the International Response Fund. And yes, you can donate RIGHT NOW, on-line with your credit card.

Also, I regret my part in turning this thread into a religious debate. It's just that when people seem to ~blame~ God, or question Him when bad things happen, I feel compelled to respond. Adults, children, even the unborn, die every day all over the world. It's just a question of where or when. Disasters on the scale of the Asia tsunami just puts the curse of death, which is upon all of us into a clearer focus for awhile.

Earthquakes are a terrible thing,with a large and powerful earthquake whole cities can be levelled,mere images do not tell half the story.To be near or in the earthquake zone when the monster hits is a terrible experience.

I was in Algeria,close to the city of El Asnam when an earthquake hit,the deathtoll was around 10000 dead.The stench of death was in the air for weeks.Houses in ruins,dead people and livestock on the ground.

Plus the police where shooting anyone found stealing in the aftermath.Chaos

Again to be there and to see it on TV are far apart.

The poorest countries are hit hardest all the time.I do not wish anyone to live this,it scares the living crap out of anyone.

----------------

On 12/29/2004 12:51:16 AM Freak Nasty wrote:

The Death Poll is now at 70 000 that is horific and there are still more that 100 000 missing and like 5 millions homeless

----------------

It's scary. The death toll is going through the roof. I know the Australian Government is pulling all stops out trying to get medical teams and essential aid over there, like water purification plants etc. There is a real fear that if the authorities don't get a handle on this, the toll will blow out even further due to poor sanitation and diesease.

I heard a report that the Earth actually moved slightly off it's axis due to the tremendous earthquake. One of the most powerful ever recorded.

Coda,

Thanks for posting the link to the NOAA animation. That is helpful in getting a better sense of the geography of this thing. I'd been trying to imagine how even Somalia had been affected. Now I see and am taken aback at how far the tsunami traveled to wreak havoc in the horn of Africa.

The loss of life is devastating. Everytime I get online to read the news the number is higher by the thousands.

Could this possibly be the worst natural disaster in history?

I feel so sorry for those who have lost loved ones. Many have lost whole families.

EVERYONE needs to help!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Could be the worst in recorded history of the past 200-300 years.

In the past people did not collect so closely together and so close to the shore.

Shores of oceans are not safe for many reasons.

I still have not had the chance to read the book Krakatoa.

Has anyone?

It is a volcano in the same are of the earth that detonated about 130 years ago.

Many were killed due to tsunamis from the little I have read; it was hard to get good information back then.