All Tube vs. Tube/SS with Cornwall

richieb

Considering moving from a fully modded Cayin tube integrated

to a tube pre-amp and direct coupled MOSFET SS power amp. Pre will be a TAD-150 from Paul at Bizzybee teamed with a Parasound power amp of 125 or 200 WPC. What do I lose/gain? Are the lush harmonics of tubes a feature of the pre-amp section or power amp. Also considering an SS integrated from Electrcompaniet using a dual mono Class A balanced design by Dr. Matti Otala. Or do I throw in the towel and stay with what is currently sounding so nice with Cornwalls, tubes.

I have tried two tube preamps with an Acurus A-150 amp, Mapletree Audio 4A SE and an Antique Sound preamp. Both were okay, but I was underwelmed and really wondered what all the fuss was about. When hooked up to a tube amp, it was a whole different package. This doesn't mean that there can't be a good marriage between SS and tubes, but my Acurus amp didn't provide that sound option for me. It still sounded a lot more like a SS system than a tube based one. I really think you have to go all out and go for a tube amp and preamp combination to get the most out of your Cornwalls.

Good luck in your experiment.