Speaker wire?

gamer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the z-series but I recently upgraded from radioshack 12 gauge to Monster MCX 1s and there was an improvement. The bass is tighter and the midrange is smoother, along with a little more top-end detail. I didn't really notice an improvement in imaging. What is your current system made up of?

------------------

My bedroom system:

YAMAHA CDC-575

CAL GAMMA D/A converter

MONSTER IL400MkII

ADCOM GTP-400 preamp

Monster M350i

ADCOM GFA-545 mK II amp

Monster MCX 1s

KLF 10

TOSHIBA CZ27V51 27" TV

TOSHIBA SD2109

YAMAHA RX-V596 for surround

KLIPSCH KSW 10

POLK R10

My systems are as follows:

Sony STR-DE705(soon to be AVR-4800).

AudioSource EQ200(out of loop at this time).

Sony CDP-CE415 CD.

Sony DVP-S530D DVD.

Sony VCR.

KLF10s.

KLFC7.

JBL sourounds.(upgrading to RS-3s or RS-7s undecided).

JBL PSW-1200 subwoofer.

Sony 32" TV. ( getting the itch for bigscreen ).

Bedroom has:

Yamaha GX-505 mini sytem.

27" Sony TV.

Sony VCR.

Apex DVD.

Your bedroom is happy Im sure with those KLFs and such.

Gamer---Audiophile wire is a con job. I've taken part in double-blind tests where expensive wire could not be told apart from lampcord. Sighted observations with wire are meaningless. Go to Home Depot and buy thier 12 gauge speaker wire at 36 cents a foot and be done with it.

Nice system gamer. I would go somewhere with a return policy, buy the wire, and test it out. If you don't see an improvement return it.

------------------

My bedroom system:

YAMAHA CDC-575

CAL GAMMA D/A converter

MONSTER IL400MkII

ADCOM GTP-400 preamp

Monster M350i

ADCOM GFA-545 mK II amp

Monster MCX 1s

KLF 10

TOSHIBA CZ27V51 27" TV

TOSHIBA SD2109

YAMAHA RX-V596 for surround

KLIPSCH KSW 10

POLK R10

gamer,I think jim's answer was right on.Listen and decide for yourself.I have used a couple different speaker wires in my time,none very expensive,but I can say that I noticed an improvement with AudioQuest that I presently use.I do not need to blindfold myself to be able to hear a difference,good or bad.Any change, good or bad,will not be earth shattering.

Would the percieved benefits of paying for better speakers also be proportional to what one paid for them?

Keith

It's a good point. If you can purchase, test, and return, it is a good deal.

Keith has a good point. There can be psychological effects from spending money on any piece of equipment.

I try to make a safe suggestion by suggesting changes that are absolutely certain to make a difference.

Edit:

The problem is that I have never found a problem with wire. Some people report improvements, others none. I've never seen an ABX report supporting a hearable difference. None the less I believe even the ABX people say the test results only prove there is no differnce in that test, not that there can never be.

So, this is the basic problem with giving advice. Rather than support a controversial tweek, I take a safe route.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-11-2001 at 09:38 PM

Some notable and reputable people have said that there is no difference between cables. Only a matter of color. Stereophile calls this coloration a different difference. While this money is no objective magazine does love all the esoteric top-of-the-line equipment, the same way a wine connoisseur thrills to a $1,000 bottle, they also recommended the Radio Shack speaker cables from the wrong side of the tracks. Go figure.

Since super-efficient speakers (95 dB/w/m or more) are so much more revealing than average speakers, they will expose all of the nuances of the upstream components. I would pay particular attention to the efficiency of the reviewers speakers when reading a cable review. The efficiency of the speakers will color the opinion of the reviewer.

Get at least two pairs of cables to compare side by side, then play a wide variety of CDs and test tones.

I recently compared a set of low cost Radio Shack cables with gold ends to the top of the line, $300 a set, Monster interconnects. Go to

http://www.monstercable.com/mseries/mseries_product1.html#M950.

Alternating between each set from the pre-amp to 2A3 tube mono blocks, quickly eliminated the 2-meter Radio Shack pair. Their casual connection was poor.

So was the superior sonic performance of the Monster M950is. They squelched dangerously loud when the power turned on. I do not know why. I only know that removing them solved the annoying problem.

I did not try them on my subs. The low cost entry-level Monster cable sounded best with the tube amps. My older Monster cable sounded best with the subs. They made a different difference that I liked.

------------------

big old Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps, Dynaco series II tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

Gamer---Audiophile wire is a con job. I've taken part in double-blind tests where expensive wire could not be told apart from lampcord. Sighted observations with wire are meaningless. Go to Home Depot and buy thier 12 gauge speaker wire at 36 cents a foot and be done with it.

I've been down this path with others here and I agree with you. Some people insist on spending bucks on snake oil so hey, to each his own. Perception is too often more important than reality.

I recently bought a set of Monster bi-wire cables for my Klipschorns. Having the cables in a neat package with some nice screw on connectors ( especially a little flexable braid termination that slid securly into the small slots on Al's ALK crossover) was worth the aprox. $100. they cost me. They produced a significant improvement that I suspect was due more to the bi-wiring than the actual wire itself. I have found that some better quality interconnects do make a slight difference between early stage components probably due to better shielding from the power cords for my various components. I have done a-b comparisons on Monster component video cables (one set for $60.; another at $200) vs. Radio Shack Gold (at $40) and could find NO difference.

HT-1

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd track info, album covers, some notes and lyrics, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever source is playing)

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub (rarely use with music)

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

HT#2

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Outlaw 750 5 channel Amp

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation for components)

I bought a pair of Pioneer speakers at a garage sale last weekend for $4.00 pair.I am convinced that they sound better than my friends KHorns.He doesn't think so.I believe that his perception of much higher quality

sound from his speakers is directly related to how much he paid for them,and is pure snake oil.

Keith

Keith,

You better be careful. You're going to encourage comments by "The Anger Police." And she is going to be coming after Y-O-U. Unless you use an emote, thus =8^o.

Lurking out there is cyberspace is "The Sarcasm Police" too. We all better be careful.

Gil.

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-12-2001 at 07:46 PM

I had the opportunity to get a set of Z2 wires for quite a bit cheaper than the $150 they sell for at GoodGuys and I did like the heavy duty connects on them; at this point though I think my money may be better spent towards a psycologist for Kieth. Wink.gif

I have a theory about speaker cable: the differences between cables will be more noticeable the more revealing the remainder of the system is. I suspect that if you A/B some Transparent cables and some Kimber cables in a compact system from Fischer, you won't notice a difference. The same would go if you also compared those cables to zip cord. However, if you performed the same tests using high-quality gear, in a well-treated room, with clean power and adequate isolation, I suspect you'd hear the differences. Part of the theory is that if any of the above-stated conditions is compromised, the difference would be masked by the inadequacies of the remainder of the system.

After all, it's difficult to determine whether your mom has a sexier voice than your sister if the comparison is made next to a jet engine. Put some Shakti stones on that engine, though, and you've got yourself a test....

It's just a theory, kids, and I'm one of the ignorants with a modest system, so take it easy on me.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

I must agree with Prana.

I used to be a "cables make no difference" kind of guy.

as my system got more and more "highend", I found speaker cables to make a fairly substantial difference.

I can't make any suggestion about upgrading to the newer monster cable, other than agree with the others.......try before you buy, it may make no difference at all.

Heaven forbid we start talking about power cords...... Smile.gif

good luck.

My system consists of:

Bel Canto SEP1 preamp

Art Audio Jota 20w SET

Muse 9 cd/dvd

Dunlavy SC-IV/a

KG4.5 (soon to replaced with bigger klipschs)

Kimber monocle xl speaker cable

Cardas golden ref connects.

powersnakes sidewinders/black mambas

API power wedge