What's the FURTHEST

colterphoto1

Shouldn't that be Farthest? What do I know, I'm an engineer.

I'm probably not worthy since I drove about 20 miles for the LaScala's, 40 miles for the K-horn's and about 400 miles for the Belle's, all round trip. Of course I moved 1800 miles east before I found the Belle's. The Heresy's were shipped from Denver to Phoenix.

I am still looking for Cornwall's, so there may be a road trip in the future.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 10:37:34 PM JohnWhite wrote:

Drove from Orlando FL to Fitchburg Mass to pick up a pair of Cornwall Decorator Verticals

----------------

I definitely think John's trip had to have been about the longest ... Orlando to the Boston area and back? Holy Smokes! I 4-wheeled into the "outback" of Massachusetts to fetch them, but his trip bordered on the fanatical. He gets my vote.

I did a one-day round trip from Boston to Rochester, NY, to fetch a nice pair of $1,200 Klipschorns that Dodger found. 750 miles in 13 hours, plus a nice (but short) lunch with Dodger at the local supermarket (and I mean SUPER).

I did a Little Rock to Greenville, MS to pick up a pair of Khorns. Wasn't bad really. 160 miles each way, about 6 hours. Made a quick trip after contacting an Ebay seller who had a deadbeat bidder who'd won the auction. My lucky day. A road trip to pick up Klipsch is a great adventure. Had a good time, even going by myself. Would have been a great adventure if I'd been able to travel with a buddy. In order to make it complete, upon return to home is to start a fire and grill some dead animal meat for food along with listening to some good tunes.

Only thing I wish I'd done different was renting a U-Haul (that's Ya'll-Haul in Arkansas) trailer in LR. Started the trip thinking I might drive them back in the back of my open pickup, but got concerned about possible rain. Did find a trailer in Greenville, but had one heck of a time getting the trailer light connections to my hitch connector to drive back after dark. Even the three autoparts stores in Greenville didn't have the adapter. Ended up adapting the "wrong" adapter with some handy pocketknife and duct tape mods to make it work. One thing, as long as you've got the right vehicle to pull a trailer, it certainly involves the least lifting because the floor is close to the ground. I unloaded the Khorns alone and moved them in the house no trouble and no scratches.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 10:37:34 PM JohnWhite wrote:

Drove from Orlando FL to Fitchburg Mass to pick up a pair of Cornwall Decorator Verticals
----------------

Fitchburg MA huh? I must have missed these for sale right in my City.

To the topic at hand...

Drove from Fitchburg, MA to Philadephia to pick up a set of Cornwalls.

750 miles round trip.

Drove from Fitchburg, MA to Virginia to pick up my Klipschorns.

1000 miles round trip.

It wasn't the distance that was the problem though-I picked up the Klipschorns in Virginia during the Highway Sniper shootings.Believe me, I thought twice where I stopped for gas & food.

Jeff

----------------

On 1/1/2005 9:06:56 AM Anarchist wrote:

Amateurs. Miami, Florida to Garden Grove, California.

KG4's. What?! Chalk it up to sentimental value and an ex-wife.----------------

For your sake I sure hope she's the one that got stuck in Garden Grove. 2.gif I'd much rather be in Miami.

I drove my dad's old 73 Chev about 20 miles to pick up the brand new pair of Cornwalls and put them into the back seat and truck when my friend bought them in 76 or 77. I only had to drive 4 blocks when I bought them from him four years later. I worked for me and I still have them.

You folks are into driving. I give myself a gold star for using public transportation to haul the Forte II's.

I live in Chicago and the seller was in Milwaukee.  He was on the forum and said he was interested in selling sometime in the future and I responded to contact me when he was ready to sell.  He came back in a couple of weeks to offer them at a fair price.

I took Amtrak up to Milwaukee on a Saturday on a raw day in December with a trusty folding hand cart. The seller and his buddy met me at the station. We did a cash deal and rolled them, in the original boxes to the luggage window.

BTW, the seller was a great guy. He advised they were not perfect because of a crunched corner on the bottom back. He didn't want me think there was a swindle. Of course not.  He had told me they were oak and preference was walnut.  But still a deal.

The Amtrak guy there at the luggage window announced there was an extra $10 charge to put them in the Amtrak baggage car. His tone was a little like a cop saying, triumphantly, there'd be an extra fine for not signalling during that illegal turn.  He handed me the luggage tickets.  The next trip to Chicago was in two hours.  (The same rolling stock shuttles several times a day.)

But the charge was very reasonable in my view. Then I went to the coffee shop in a nearby mall as snow started to fall.  This required going though a classic department store.  It looked just like where Ralphie met Santa in A Christmas Story.  Things were becoming surreal.

The return trip was the usual hour and a half.  Visions of tractrix horns danced in my head.  And leg lamps.

At Union Station they have a conveyor from down below and and circular conveyor, like at ORD.  I waited holding my luggage tickets tight like gold coins.  Nothing like the big boxes came up in the first burp. Then American Tourister,  duffel bags, Sampsonite, a paair of snow shoes, then nothing.

So I talked to the nice lady at the computer.  She couldn't find the Forte II's on the screen. 

OMG, are they still in Milwaukee?  Maybe sitting beside the track in the snow.  Maybe misdirected to far away?   When is the next train?

Nope, after too long the kind Amtrak lady sent me to the elevator to baggage area in the bowels of the station., there were buttons for five sublevels  and mine was four.  Dante?  It was like inter-dimensional travel. There is another world down there. Lost stuff from mid-century I suspect 

So were the boxed Forte's. What a relief.

The very nice man checked the tickets and directed me to another elevator.  It came up to a small door on the north side of the building.  The sort you walk by and don't notice.  I was back to the west Loop and light snow mixed with rain.  The two boxes were top heavy on the small cart.

Then I rolled them from Union Station over the bridge on the Chicago River, to the office.  A little snow covered the "Hope, AK" label and they almost tipped out of the bungie  cords. 

Then up the office building  elevator.  Office building security already knew me as a bit of a nut case.

They sounded okay hooked up to the table radio but there was room for improvement. That night I bought some zip cord and cheapo banana plugs at Shady Iraq. Transport via CTA.

Sunday I bought a Sony mini system. at their, then, flagship store on Michigan Ave  Transportation via CTA. It was a CD  player and tuner in a shoe box. The shoe box sized speakers for that were rated at 4 ohms. I hoped the amp would like the Forte II's. The anticipation was like being a kid at Christmas, again.

The first test was NPR. Gosh, NPR actually has bass and good music between the talk. Classical WFMT was terrific. Those two were the main program sources for many years.  I eventually had to sell the FII.  

BTW, the seller was mistaken, they were walnut after all. 

A good time.

(Edited in 2018 to add content and so I can add it to the Road Trip thread.)

WMcD