Collateral with Tom Cruise

MrMcGoo

I almost didn't watch this movie because my wife had already seen it and thought it was boring. Glad I tried it anyway. I thought it was a good movie and definitely a different role for Tom Cruise. I also thought Jamie Fox was very good in this. I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing) him in "Ray" the Ray Charles movie. I believe it's due out on DVD in February.

I was disappointed. Maybe it was because everyone had already told me what a great movie it was and how much I would like it. I thought the plot was really linear and predictable. I thought the soundtrack distracted from the movie. The gunshots in DTS were worth the rental (i.e. Netflixing).

I too wasn't thrilled with this movie and neither was the wife. Don't get me wrong, it was ok and definitely worth the rent, but it wouldn't be one I owned. I also feel Cruise has played better roles.

The one thing that really bugged me was the clarity of the dialog. I thought it was just me until the wife asked, "Is it just me or are they mumbling a lot?" There were several times when we had to pause, back up the movie and play a scene again just to figure out what the hell someone said. And even then we still had trouble understanding them. Anyone else notice this?

Tom

----------------

On 1/4/2005 12:11:58 PM Tom Adams wrote:

The one thing that really bugged me was the clarity of the dialog. I thought it was just me until the wife asked, "Is it just me or are they mumbling a lot?" There were several times when we had to pause, back up the movie and play a scene again just to figure out what the hell someone said. And even then we still had trouble understanding them. Anyone else notice this?

Tom

----------------

Tom-now that you mention it, I do remember having to back up a few times due to poor dialogue. I juiced up the center channel a bit, which helped, but you're right-the dialogue needs a bit of work. Overall a good movie, well worth a rent.

I just watched this a couple of nights ago, and I had problems understanding the dialogue. I was starting to think that my hearing was getting bad. Glad to see others had the same problem, must be something in the mastering. I wonder if the Dolby Digital track has the same problem.

-PB

Well not to beat this dialog thing to death, but we watched this movie on our den system which is stereo only and the dialog at times was all but impossible to understand. So I don't think it has anything to do with the surround processing or mastering. Personally, I think it's simply that Cruise and others just didn't annunciate as well as they could've.

Tangent time - Since my main HT rig is down awaiting projector & screen, we've been watching quite a few movies on the den system which consists of a 46" Samsung DLP, a Denon 1810 DVD player, a Denon AVR1802, a Klipsch KSW-15 sub, and a pair of Klipsch RB5's. The wife commented the other night how nice things sounded and even made the blasphemous statement that in some ways, the movies were just as entertaining in stereo as in 5.1. To be honest, I kinda have to agree. Hmmmm....are we kidding ourselves that we NEED 5.1 for our HT's? Would a very nice 2.1 system be just as fulfilling? Have we been dupped by the electronics industry that 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 is the only true measure of a HT system? Inquiring minds want to know.1.gif

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Great movie...another good example of what director Micheal Mann can do...

Always a good soundtrack...and very watchable action sequences...

DTS sound was well done...

Story was good...acting was well done...even by the actors with small parts...

Well worth watching....

Not your normal Tom Cruise roll for sure.... After watching and I saw Mann's name scroll by...I was reminded of HEAT also by Mann with DeNiro and Pacino...another great movie...

Watch this one!