Hybrid MONO SACD's...?

nicholtl

Hey guys, I was flying around like a house of daggers on acousticsounds.com, scoping out all the hot Miles Davis SACD's like young virgins in an Asian massage parlour, and came to realize that almost all the SACD's are hybrid mono. I've heard hybrid multichannel (who hasn't?), and hybrid stereo, and hell, single-layer versions of those as well, but MONO? Does that mean it comes out of the center channel? For both SACD and CD playback?

Does anybody have experience with mono SACD's? Is it worth it? I personally think 2-channel is the absolute minimum you need to listen to music with. Left and right. But the center? Uhh...

I only use 2-channel SACD but it does utilize both speakers. I would guess in a mulit-channel set-up that the 2 mains would be used.

Mono recordings can be some of the best out there. 9 out of 10 times I prefer mono recordings to the stereo version with jazz albums.

No. Stereo is when you get different info sent to left and right channels. When part of that info is exactly the same, you hear it come from the center (like vocals often do). Instruments can be mixed between channels so you hear them at any particular spot. That's where your soundstage comes from.

Thank you, Gary. You learn something new everyday.

Last question: I'm thinking of buying the Miles Davis albums "relaxing w/ the miles davis quartet," "cookin' w/ the miles davis quartet", and "steamin' w/ the miles davis quartet."

They are available in both vinyl and hybrid mono SACD format. What format would you recommend?