wheres pioneer?

iluvhifi

In my looking back at old post on this BB. I noticed a post that asked the age old question of Yamaha or Denon. Then someone replied wheres Pioneer? That is a good question. Pioneer has been around for a really long time and they should be pretty good recievers but I think Klipsch fans all buy the same stuff lol (yammie or dennon). Oh well i just thought that would make for some good conversations again.

Enjoy

Yamaha rules (LOL).

------------------

Panasonic CT-36HD40 HDTV

SONY DVP-S530SE DVD

SONY CD-210 CD

SONY VHS PLAYER

YAMAHA RX-V1000

MONSTER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS

MONSTER CABLE Z2 BIWIRE

RF-3 BIWIRED

RC-3

RS-3

KSW-12

I would agree that is why I use Yamaha. But One thing good about pioneer. They do tend to get in the market earlier than most companies ie: dvd burners ect... Im not saying there good or anything thoug. At one time Pioneer was a reputable company before the times of Onkyo and other reputable brands.

------------------

Panasonic CT-36HD40 HDTV

SONY DVP-S530SE DVD

SONY CD-210 CD

SONY VHS PLAYER

YAMAHA RX-V1000

MONSTER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS

MONSTER CABLE Z2 BIWIRE

RF-3 BIWIRED

RC-3

RS-3

KSW-12

Perhaps you remember the "glory days" of Pioneer, back in the mid to late seventies. They had some really good stuff back then. Or at least I, as a neophyte audiophile, thought so.

Remember the SX-1980? One of the first of the monster receivers. And those cool rack mount open reel tape decks? I actually owned one of those for a while. In fact, my first real audio rig, not counting some old Realistic stuff, consisted of a Pioneer 60W/channel integrated amp, Pioneer cassette deck and turntable, Pioneer 10-band graphic equalizer, and a pair of Advent speakers. Pure Seventies Audio!

------------------

JDMcCall

quote:

Originally posted by James D McCall:

And those cool rack mount open reel tape decks?

Ahhhh.....the CT-9R and the CT-707. Teac had some rather plasticky but solid stuff too. We had a six head Ampex 300 a number of years ago that would feel like getting snapped with a wet towel if you got in the way of running out of tape while rewinding off the take-up reel. As Darrel Waltrip said in a TV commercial "Man that hurt..".

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD (McIntosh MVP-841 coming August 21, 2001)

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-17-2001 at 09:44 PM

The 707 - that's the one I had. A real solid machine. All the Pioneer stuff from that era was, for the money, well built, good looking and offered good performance. (kind of like my wife)cwm38.gif

The audiophile in me hates to admit it, but I could never get past the tape hiss in that machine, though. Even though in every other way (except convenience), it was far superior to the cassette decks of that time. I wonder how it would have sounded used with an external dbx noise reduction device? Probably killer.

------------------

JDMcCall

I hate to say it but Pioneer has gone wayyyyyy down. The "original" Elite series is not the same. I bridged a pair of Adcom amps (GFA-535, GFA-585 Limited Edition)

through a 92 Pioneer VSX-9900S and what a Receiver!!

The Elite BSTV is still something but $$$$$$$$$$

That War Horse weighed a ton...still in a class by itself as Receivers next to the VSX-D1S...*OUCH** (attached pic, Khorns, and Hersey II's(not in)amp is Adcom GFA585LE and 535...and Kenwood crap back then, went Adcom GCD575 shortly after, and GTP-500II 2 channel later after seperation and divorce, have the Kenwood Hon Smile.gif

***should add that I bought her a Kenwood CD player and Receiver(way less cost to me) to leave the Adcom and Pioneer alone, didn't want the Khorns...to heavy, but took my Hersey II's)**** may confuse my latter post....

They were even better than the Sony ES series at one time....those were the days....

I still have a great combo in the Pioneer CT-650W dual tape and GR-777 10 channel EQ(with remote) in excellent condition(stored 7 years) if anyone is interested(all original boxes, manuals, etc), you pay COD shipping..

offers....

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-26-2001 at 07:39 PM

quote:

Originally posted by boomer9911:

...and Kenwood crap back then, went Adcom GCD575 shortly after, and GTP-500II 2 channel later after seperation and divorce, have the Kenwood Hon
Smile.gif

boomer, i don't know when kenwood went downhill because

my big ken kr-9600 from '75 continued pumpin out the 160Wx2 from the dual power supply to the Infinity 2000 & then the Cornwall I ('84) until last year. that's 26 years & it finally blew w/ the volume cranked just about all the way & took both my cornwall woofers w/ it.

cwm35.gif

so about then was when i decided to go to this new 5.1 channel thing. so take it ken went downhill sometime in there. maybe w/ the a/v receivers?

but the big ken now has a few new capicitors & is back to rockin w/ the rf-3 in the back room. the thing is a monster. front grip handles & mucho power/current, tight & clean 2-channel audio. even kenwood had it's day Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

almost forgot, i had a pioneer quadraphonic QX-747 right before the kenwood (early '70ish). that's probably not a good representation for pioneer though.

it stopped working after selling it to my lil brother.

think he still wants me to buy it back.

maybe that's part of reason why i stuck w/ 2-channel til 2000. cost too i imagine. Biggrin.gif

Still have my first Hi-Fi receiver from early 70's, a Pioneer SX-6000 w/manual & schematics. Walnut cabinet, Music Power 200W (4ohm) 132W (8ohm), main in & pre out. Switchable Voltage 110V-240V. It is bulit like a tank. Still have the pair of Pioneer CS88-A speakers that were used with the unit. They are definately from Pioneer's glory days, excellent craftmanship. That Pioneer Receiver was used in Germany to drive several of my military buddies Klipsch Speakers to ear splitting levels during the friday night King Of The Floor Wars. Back then Klipsch Bells, La Scalas & Cornwalls were considered the speakers to wage war with. Now I have a much better appreciation of the gems from that era.

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-21-2001 at 05:48 AM

Boa12, just a "personal" vibe.....I got burned when I bought it so it has stuck a thorn in my paw......

still, never cared for the sound that came out of that cd player, never used the tape, in fact, had it less than 24hrs and took it back and got the Pioneer 650 tape and 777 10 channel eq instead, Adcom came online about then for me also and GCD575.

To add, my system now,

Oiled Oak Klipschorns(f)

Raw Birch Klipsch La Scala's(rs)

Oiled Oak Klipsch Hersey II's(s)

2-Klipsch KLFC7's(c, rc)

Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer(conditioner\surge protection)

Marantz 6200 turntable(76)

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

3-Marantz MA700 mono block amps(Khorns, C7 rc)

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD

Marantz VM5100 S-VHS hifi vcr

Marantz CD4050 dual casette tape

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel and single tray CDR

Toshiba HDTV 50HX70(still pondering TW50H80 idea)

DVDO Iscan V2

(problems with the Sat Co. Bell ExpressVu(cdn)*cancel*

may try Digital Cable...*UGH*

All Monster cables..................................

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-26-2001 at 12:02 AM

• 5 years later...

How's this for one from the WayBack Machine.... I'm running my RF7s through a 20 year old Pioneer VSX-5000. [:$]

But, that's only until I can afford a good prepro. Just bought a QSC amp for the 7s, and the prepro will be next. Probably an Outlaw 990.

Can't wait to hear what my 7s can do with something "real" driving them. The VSX-5000 was good in the 80's for a decent consumer level Surround receiver, but it hasn't aged well.

Perhaps you remember the "glory days" of Pioneer, back in the mid to late seventies. They had some really good stuff back then. Or at least I, as a neophyte audiophile, thought so.

Remember the SX-1980? One of the first of the monster receivers. And those cool rack mount open reel tape decks? I actually owned one of those for a while. In fact, my first real audio rig, not counting some old Realistic stuff, consisted of a Pioneer 60W/channel integrated amp, Pioneer cassette deck and turntable, Pioneer 10-band graphic equalizer, and a pair of Advent speakers. Pure Seventies Audio!

------------------

JDMcCall

I still have my SX-1980 (powering Klipsch Forte's) and it still holds its own. I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi receiver to power my RF-7's and after some tweeking it sounds great. With the Pioneer Elite set-up in bi-amp mode driving the RF-7's the SX-1980/Forte combo overpowers the Elite/RF-7 combo. Once I add a subwoofer to the Elite/RF-7 combo they may even out.

I am new to A/V receivers and there is alot of settings/adjustments that need to be tweeked to make them sound decent. Most of the adjustments are hidden in the software unlike the old receivers that used conventional knobs.

Just bought a QSC amp for the 7s, and the prepro will be next. Probably an Outlaw 990.

You're in for a treat.

I just got my QSC amp hooked up - still using the Pioneer as a stereo pre-amp...

Holy Mother of Audio - you weren't kidding! I thought the speakers sounded like they were being held back somehow (hard to put into words)... but I had no idea it would be this dramatic of an improvement. It's like whole new speakers. Now I see why everyone raves about these amps. [H]

I've been a big Pioneer fan for decades. I'm wondering if they're going to bring back another high end Elite AVR similar to the VSX-59TXi - when their flagship models sold for $4000, rather than $1500. The new 84TXSi may have more features, but it doesn't look like it would be in the same league as the old 59 series.

Maybe an 89TXSi will be coming out one day?

How's this for one from the WayBack Machine.... I'm running my RF7s through a 20 year old Pioneer VSX-5000. [:$]

But, that's only until I can afford a good prepro. Just bought a QSC amp for the 7s, and the prepro will be next. Probably an Outlaw 990.

Can't wait to hear what my 7s can do with something "real" driving them. The VSX-5000 was good in the 80's for a decent consumer level Surround receiver, but it hasn't aged well.

QSC backed RF7? Man that's just gonna be SICK (to quote Doc) Let us know your impressions of that sound please.

EDIT ah, I hadn't flipped to page 2 yet. MMMMMM that's what I thought you'd say! LOL

Michael

Yeah. At the end of the day, I can't wait to come home to the music. It literally brought tears to my eyes when I first powered it up and demo'ed Bach's Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor.

It also allowed me to add my RC-7 that had been just collecting dust since I bought it. I'm running it off of one of the Pioneer's unused stereo channels. It's Center channel is just L+R, so there's no active processing, but it fills in not only the sound stage, but adds a bit more midrange compared to the RF7s.

Oh yeah. I'm a happy camper. Only problem it seems is the more stuff I buy - the longer my shopping list gets. Need a pre/pro and amp to get some surround, and probably a pair of RS-7 if I can find them, oh and then I need a RSW-15 sub - in Cherry. And, uh, when I go 7.1, do I get something like the RB-75, or try to get another pair of RF7s?

And that hasn't even touched upgrading my CD, DVD, et al.

Yup, I've been bitten by the bug - and the Klipsch bug's got TEETH!! [H]