Adcom

Northshore

I'm using adcom power amps and RF7s/RC7 in for HT now. I also have used them in 2 channel with Heresy's. I think the sound is excellent. Some feel adcom is too bright and like a warmer sound. I'm a big fan of their power amps, but less impressed with their preamps (i have a spare 710 and multiroom pre that i don't particularly care for). I've not heard the preamp model you are referring to. You may wish to see if you can separate them if you don't like the pre.

I can't say much for the newer Adcom, I have heard they have cleaned up their act over the last couple of years. They went for a down slide big time, to new and improved from what I have read and heard from owners.

I have owned Adcom in the early 90's and loved em, including the GFA-585LE, GFA-545II, GFA-535, GTP500II, GCD575, GCD500, ACE-515 Enhancer, and GFE-3 speaker selector box, I have no complaints of any Adcom gear I owned, actually miss it at times, especially my 585LE, what that did for my Khorns...10.gif

Northshore,

Adcom will outperform most receivers by a substantial margin. However, your RF-7s would produce better bass with a bigger amp IMO. The 125x7 is likely to be short of current in actual use. On paper, the 7607 looks good due to the use of two power transformers to run the 7 channels.

You should ask to do a comparison on your speakers with the 125 watt amp and an Adcom closer to 200 wpc and let your ears decide. The collective wisdom on the board says the RF-7s sing a better tune at about 200 wpc. Whether or not it is worth the extra cash is a question only you can answer.

Bill

I am currently using the Adcom GTP-830 Preamp/processor in my home theatre setup.

The 860 and 880 are improved models from my 830.

I've always liked the Adcom amps with the exception of a few models that came out in the late 90s and into 2000. The older amps always had high current capacity with reserves to spare. The older preamps on the other hand, sounded terrible. Considerable roll off and lack of life at the upper regions of the audio spectrum. Low end was somewhat muddled.

Why then did I purchase the 830? Because I wanted a separate Pre/pro processor to drive my Rotel amps. The added incentive was that the local Ultimate Audio (then Audio King) was selling out all their Adcom gear and had this one unit left with no box, no manual, wrong remote control, and no power cord, ON SALE. I bought it with proof that the remote worked on this model and a new Monster power cord. I paid nearly 1/3 the suggested retail price.

Result:

It seems Adcom has cleaned up their preamps. There is some spatial airyness to the mid and upper range. The bass is clean, simple straight forward. Fairly transparent (some hiss for the rear channels though).

Disappointments? Yes. Typical Adcom in the switching. They simplify things so much electronially that they shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to userfriendly. The HT system setup is either archaic or simplistic (My older denon HT Receiver had an infinitely better setup menu with greater flexibility). Running my CD player to the digtal decoders, I find that those are a little cheap (though better then the one in my cd player, I prefer the Burr-Brown units in my old denon HT receiver). The build quality of the unit is...cheap. On many occaisions I have lost a channel (left, right, or sub) because the internal board that houses the RCA connectors has come loose from the main board it is connected to (think of a computer motherboard and its IDE cards coming loose, same layout). I also have learned to keep a few fuses on hand (though that is less of a problem lately as when I first brought the unit home). Otherwise, my unit is a clean and simple sounding no frills unit. I don't think I would pay retail price for it ever though. But for the $450 I paid, it does a fine job. Skunks the Denon HT receiver (AVR-2700) on clarity.

I would hope that the Adcom 860 and 880 have a better setup menu and an improvement on the digital decoder (motorola chips) that they used in the 830. The 860-II looks like a vastly improved unit.

Sorry I can't help you with any info on the AMP, except to say that even hardcore Adcom enthusiasts were so disappointed with some of Adcom's recent Amplifier offerings that I can't imagine that Adcom hasn't addressed those issues by now.

Anthony Cordesman (http://www.disinfopedia.com/wiki.phtml?title=Anthony_H._Cordesman) reviewd the GTP880 and the GFA7807 (http://www.adcom.com/pdfs/AUDIOPHILE%20VOICECordesman%20REVIEW.pdf). These units are upscale from the units you're asking about, but Mr Cordesman is well respected for his audio reviews (and an expert in other areas too) and captures the essence of what you can expect from Adcom in these kinds of units.

If anyone has an Adcom setup, would be nice to see some Adcom HT\systems posted, have a pic or 2, just a thought...10.gif

Plus from the pics I have seen of the 1st tour in 01 to Hope, PWK powered his Heritage on display with good ole Adcom and Monster Cable, how North American can you get...10.gif

I've had a hard time posting pictures. Is it as simple as typing the location in the "brouse" field and clicking upload? It takes such a long time that I get timed out (on a cable modem). I must have other computer problems. I'm not using the adcom preamps in my mains system but use the GFA 545 and GFA 7400 power amps. With the HK processor its all American built (my models anyway, not sure anymore). Sub built in the US and maybe the RF7s (though I'm not sure anymore). I'll try the picture posting again