MCM1900

naof74

my friend saw the japanese catalogue of MCM 1900.

it was categorized as corner floar standing speaker.

and he is wondering if it's true since they don't look like.

If it's so, how do they supposed to use corner?

I'll appreciate any info about this.

Very interesting. Could you post the info? We'd be happy to see it.

You should take a look at my recent post in Technical Questions which shows the U.S. Patent on the MCM 1900. There is some interesting information.

In my view, the MCM was made to be a concert type speaker and not intended for indoor home use at all. The test conditions shown are the unit on stilts, probably to recreate being a risers for a stage.

If you put it on the floor, it is a floorstander. So is a box of rocks. Smile.

With the exception of the K-Horn or the Jubilee, there are no Klipsch speakers which suit themselves to corner placement by their geometry. Naturally any speaker can be placed there.

The MCM could be placed in or near a corner. If you look at the depth, the mouth (big end of the bass horn) is not going to be very close to the corner at all. OTOH, the mouth of the K-Horn and Jubilee are indeed close to the side walls and the 90 degree angle of their cabnetry make that possible.

Best,

Gil

Thank you, William, for your reply.

My friend owns a club in Japan.

Since he has Khorn and loves the sound, he got interested in MCM 1900 and considering to get them for his store. I have checked your post about MCM1900 and told my friend. Now he understand the catalogue was wrong.

anyway, thank you very much.

Your friend should look up the MCM in the Klipsch site.

He'll have to go to "products" and "cinema". It is part of full cinema systems.

I tried this and a click on the technical information did not result in any return. Maybe it is my computer or a temporary situation with the server.

BTW there is a little joke in the name. "MCM" is Roman numbers for 1900.

Even if he can't use them at home, maybe he can use them at the club. I have no present plans to visit the land of the rising sun in the near future. But who can predict the future.

Gil

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the different sections of the original MCM were (and what the abbreviations stood for)?

I remember the initial tests of the MWM (Magnificent Woofing Machine) in the pasture behind the factory in Hope. There was a hilarious picture with the MWM in the foreground, and as far as you could see, the faces of every cow within earshot!! When they were testing the low frequency response, every cow for almost a mile turned and looked to see what was making the rumbling noise! Paul said that the cows must have thought that the MWM was the biggest bull that any of them had ever heard!

BTW: the answer is:

MWM (see above)

MSM (Magnificent Squawking Machine)

MTM (Magnificent Tweeting Machine)

Together, they make up the MCM (Magnificent Cxx Machine)!! (A little obscene, e-mail me if you want the correct answer!) The MCM = 1900 story was floated as a cover for the REAL name!

That place was a riot in the mid '70s!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes Ols Ears it was a riot in the seventies in Hope or so they say. Actually if you can remeber the seventies then you probably weren't there! The seventies that is.... Or the sixties, eighties or nineties either. And BTW: the real answer is:

MWM = woofer (dual 15" horn loaded)

MWM-S = woofer (single 15" horn loaded)

MSSM = sub squawker (single 10" horn loaded)

MSM = squawker (4 x 1 1/2" VC compression drivers manifolded onto horn)

MTM = tweeter ( array of piezo horns)

MMTM = cinema tweeter that pierced like a laser beam (4 x K77 tweeters mainfolded onto two horns)

P Wilbur designed the manifolds which when completed was an audio engineering feat but as it was a "pro" (we called it "industrial" back then) product this feat was hardly recognised by audiophiles. Not only did the manifolds work but how they were made was yet another engineering feat.

Were you there at those initial tests? If so then we probably know each other.

• 4 years later...

I remember the Harvest Festivals on the West Patrol road from the first to the last one. Hope in the 70's was some of if not the, best times of my life. Motengators and..... well a good time was had by all until someone invited a damn reporter to the last festival and they splashed pictures on a full page spread of the Hope Star! It ended a really great underground event.

I remember the Harvest Festivals on the West Patrol road from the first to the last one. Hope in the 70's was some of if not the, best times of my life. Motengators and..... well a good time was had by all until someone invited a *** reporter to the last festival and they splashed pictures on a full page spread of the Hope Star! It ended a really great underground event.

That sucks :(

Would like to see a copy of that one.