subwoofer connections

t-man

I've been reading all the past posts on how to properly connect a subwoofer to an HT reciever, and I've never been more confused in my life: Here's my setup:

Denon AVR-1601 (has a sub out)

KG 3.2 mains

KSW-12

non-important center and rears

What's the best way to hook up the sub to maximize home theater AND stereo music?

I think all I need to do is hook up a RCA interconnect from the reciever's sub-out to the KSW-12's input via a Y-adapter.

What advantage would there be in using the high-level inputs? Would I not get any subwoofer use in pro-logic and/or stereo CD without using the high-level inputs. Shouldn't my reciever manage this automatically?

Is there a way to bypass or shut-off the subwoofers built in filter/crossover, so that it doesn't conflict with that of the reciever? I'm so confused....

Thanks for any help,

Troy

t-man, the way u mentioned is fine to go. imo, the bass is better using the line inputs/rca interconnects rather than the high levels where u would have to use speaker wire. & the denon should work great for the bass management. there when u select sub:yes

the denon filters the bass to the ksw at I think 80hz on down. so u should probably turn the ksw crossover up above that - the ksw doesn't have a crossover defeat from what I know (some subs do for using the sub pre-outs on HT receivers). but messing w/ the crossover can have the same desired effect.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

oh, & also make sure u set the denon's bass management settings best. the kg would be large & sounds like the center & rears would be small (usually set any speaks that can't effectively reproduce bass at like 65hz or below to small). then on like the denon's bass mgmt setting set it to sub+front & u should be pretty much ready to go. turn the

ksw crossover up all the way to above 100hz if u like cause the denon filters the sub out anyway. if that sounds good I wouldn't worry about the other sub hookups (other than speaker level u can also use the denon's main preouts but w/ your denon's bass mgmt capabilities that's really unnecessary).

Boa12

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought. It's just that there has been so much discussion about people not getting proper bass when using 2 channel stereo and pro-logic when hooked up without the high level inputs. I guess their recievers must be different.

My one questions is that if I set my front speakers to "large", won't the sub only handle information going to the center and rear only, leaving my mains toting all the responsibility of handling the front channel Bass that's not included in the LFE.

Some receivers have a setting for the sub-out that allows the front speakers to be set to large AND send output below the crossover to the sub. My Pioneer allows this for the center channel as well. You'll have to adjust the placement of the sub to avoid phasing problems, but it definitely increases bass output, and helps with the directionality of bass signals from the left and right, and in my case center.

yea saint is right on. the denon has that under like bass management settings - sub+front. that's probably what u want. then it depends what you're playing. if it's a 2 channel source (like a CD) then it sends the same low bass (<80hz) to both your fronts & sub. if it's a 5.1 (DD AC3, like a DVD) I believe it then only sends the LFE to your sub (or maybe denons also send it to the large speaks but I doubt it) - so that's why u want the crossover high enough there.

& yea a lot of people have trouble because their receivers don't have the bass mgmt of the denon, or they want to control the crossover w/ the sub by wiring speaker level

thru it to the mains. u may even be able to control the sub out crossover on that denon -

don't know on that.

Only the LFE? When I watch a movie, I want more than just the LFE to be sent to the sub. Will I have to select small for my mains in order to do that? On the other hand, will my sub then be responsible for all the BASS all by itself? That's not ideal, really either, as I would like my sub to complement my main's, rather than take over all the tough duty.

hey nice piece. try that 5 channel stereo mode for music. but now i remember why i don't know because reading the manual's description of front+subwoofer (under system settings-bass output) it doesn't mention LFE but i would take it to mean that for DVD 5.1 it sends LFE to the sub and low bass to both the fronts & sub &, if set to small, the center & rear low bass to the sub. that's different from my sony though (if that's the case). i'd do as we suggested & then try the subwoofer only setting w/ a good 5.1 DVD w/ lots of low bass & lfe (like the matrix) & see which sounds better. that's part of the fun - playing around w/ all the electronics smile.gif

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

ok did a lil more research. i've been traveling so got a lil rusty on sub hook-ups smile.gif i'm now 99% certain what u need is the front+sub bass output setting. & sub:yes, front-large, center&rear-small.

bass mgmt as explained on my last post.

use the Y to the ksw L&R in too. rock on.

u bet t-man. hey what u do trade that sony amp in for a denon to get that 5 channel stereo (& much more)? smile.gif

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Boa12,

Interesting you should ask, and phrase it so. Considering you have a Sony, you sure seem to want a Denon.

I still have that Sony 1011S, but just put it on Ebay. I originally picked up the Sony STr-de845, but the same day I hooked it up the distortion melted the glue around the voice coil and popped the woofer on my 3.2s. I was so pissed. Probably a fluke, but be carefull when watch Stargate DVD, particularly the alien space-ship landing sceen. I since swore off the Sony line and got that Denon for a cheaper price ($300 at Sears. It's actually the avr-681, but that's just the "specialty nameplate" for the 1601, or so I was told by the tech at Denon.

I figure that this is a much better set-up for my efficient Klipsch system. I should recieve the Sub later this week (which was I was wondering how to set it up), as well as a matched center speaker (KV2) early next week thanks to "Talktokeith".

Later,

T-man

they sell denon @ sears? interesting. good deal & yes after being on this board i'm sold

& the 5 channel stereo...but have to find 1 to listen 2. before I replace this sony though i'll probably get the new ref speaks for front&center in may. that is after i exchange my vel 15 for an HGS-18. the $ outflow continues biggrin.gif

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!