OT: Dog Story -- Sad Time at My House

Olorin

We've been where you are and it sucks. We lost our first Akita to bloat

about 7 years ago. I still have his dish, collar, tug rope and brush on

a shelf in my den; I cried off and on for a week over him. We got

another dog from the breeder, an older one they needed to thin out of

breeding stock. A real sweetheart of a dog. We had her for nearly 6

years until she died of old age at 14 years. Quite old for the breed.

That same year we lost the sons dog to liver failure and our lab of 14

years to old age. We have two dogs now, both about 4 years old, we got

them at the Akita Rescue. They are a joy to have (well the male did get

into a skunk 3 days ago and that was not quite a joy!) but they will

never replace those who have passed from our life. It gets better but

that special place for them will always be there in your heart.

Sorry about your loss.

CTBB,

I am so sorry for you loss.

I also have a Yellow Lab, Grace (going through alot of BS and she was/is my saving Grace).

Chole sounds like an awesome dog. You both gave each other a great life together.

You are right, when a Lab isn't eating something is wrong.

If it makes you feel any better I think a few of us teared up reading your story.

Again I am sorry and I will give Grace an extra cookie tonight in Chloe's honor.

Danny

Thanks for the kinds words and support, it's been an interesting week, things keep popping up that remind us of her, balls, toys, etc. I know Becca had a real hard time when she took Chloes' water and food dish and emptied them for the last time, picked up the small rug they always sat on and put everything away. The spot looks pretty empty now. And next week, we'll get the ashes back, get to go through the whole ordeal all over again. Woohooo. Time heals all wounds, I just wish it would pass by faster for a while. BTW, does anyone familiar with the whole creamation thing know if it's acceptable to split the ashes into different locations? I want some to go to the lake, where she spent all her time a a younger dog, Becca wants some to go into the new garden we're working on by the front porch she'd always be lying under during the day since we got the house up, and our daughter wants some to out in her room by a pig picture of us all in better days. Not sure if that's acceptable or not. Thanks again.

Ashes, do what you want to do. Dogs or people either one is the same. I

have a little bit of a master blacksmith in my forge at home. The

master wanted to be at a event that happened after he died. His ashes

(in part) were spread in a fire during the event. If you wished, you

could take some. I did. So go ahead and place your buddys ashes

in the lake and the porch.

CTTB,

I've got a huge lump in my throat from reading about your family's

loss. The grief will pass, it's true, but there is no need to

make it pass quickly. It's important to remember our friends,

including the four-legged ones.

Regarding her ashes, I feel that you should honor her as you see

fit. I don't see how any of what you've said could be wrong.

It won't be easy for a while. I don't have kids, but if the lil one feels like having her own grieving process, what's the harm in a small secure urn, playtoy and photo? Garden, I'd maybe do flowers but possibly not the veggie garden. Love the lake idea- sounds like a fave spot for y'all. I can imagine a touching ceremony at sunset with either the family or just you solo in the ol fishing boat. Maybe a little reading, a last goodbye. Damn, there I go again.....

I mean, Hunter Thompson had his ashes shot out of a cannon.

Do whatever makes you feel right. It's personal.

Michael

Olorin, man I am soooooo sorry. That really stinks.

We had a retired racing greyhound that we had to give back to the adoption agency after having him for only 6 weeks. He could not get along with our other greyhound. It was the toughest day of my life so far. I can't believe how attached I got to that guy in such a short time. Take some satisfaction that you and the dog had some good time, be it too short, together.

Rescuing pets from shelters is by far the most humane thing to do over picking up one at a mall store or a breeder. There are just too many animals and not enough homes.

rplace,

You are so right about rescueing animals. There are so many that are homeless and need love.

Here is what we are doing for the animals that were affected by Katrina.

Operation PetSafe rescues 80, more pet flights planned

CO evacuated 75 dogs and five cats Sunday that were homeless because of Hurricane Katrina. PetRelocation.com of Austin, Texas, arranged the charter flight, which was funded by Madeline and Boone Pickens. The Pickens family plans to fund two additional pet charters this week. Pilots, flight attendants, EWR ramp agents and a load planner all volunteered to work the flight out of their love for animals. The pets flew from Baton Rouge, La., to San Diego (SAN), where 50 dogs disem-"barked." The flight continued to San Francisco (SFO), for the remaining animals. All will be available for adoption. A veterinarian accompanied the pets from SAN to SFO to provide medical care. Many of the animals were ill after surviving for days in filthy conditions with little or no food.

CO operates rescue flight for four-legged survivors
CO is operating a second pet evacuation charter flight Tuesday from Baton Rouge (BTR) to San Francisco (SFO), to deliver 152 rescued pets to the Marin Humane Society. TVs "Inside Edition" sent a camera crew on the flight. Product Development and Specialty Sales Manager Lisa Schoppa said media interest was even higher than for Sundays widely covered pet charter flight.

CTBB,

My sister just lost her dorgthat was 13 years old last week. She has been married about 14 years and they never had any children. This dog went everywhere with my sister, she would give it birthday parties and dress it up for pictures on cards that she would send out. To say the least this has devestated her. This dog was like a child to her. Not to make light of the situation, but "C" and I would try and guess how many times she would make refference to Nikki in the letters she would send.
Just try and remember all the great times your family and Chloe would have. Hang in there.
If anyone can read your story and not tear up then there is something wrong with them.

Steve

I got this from out vet when we had to put an old faithful family member down a few years ago. I am sure some of you have seen it, if you have not it is worth a few moments to read.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Moderators

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague, as I knew I would get emotional.

I've had many many dogs, and all losses have been difficult, but none so much as a small black lab 2 month old puppy we had for merely 4 days.

Adopted from a friend, she was the sweetest thing I ever saw. Took her to the vet for the first time, who discovered she had a open valve in her heart. He let me listen to what was supposed to be a heart beat--was more like a steady noise flow. He said it was very rare--even had a junior colleage come in to listen as if she was a text book example.

I got a second opinion.

Both vets said her heart would not be able to support the weight she was going to gain as she aged.

We decided to put her down rather than see her suffer as she grew.

It was just awful.

RIP Charley.

"jcmjrt" Said: Whatever love or attention you give to your dog comes back in triplicate...and that's why it's so easy to love them so quickly and so much. If there's an argument for a loving God, then dogs are it.

Could not have said it better. Very Nice.

Amy sorry about Charley. That must have been tough. Everyone already has a soft spot for a puppy anyway and then to have to make that decision.

I don't know what it is but as soon as you look into a Labs eyes you fall in love.

Danny

Thanks for the poem from the Rainbow Bridge, I'd forgotten about that site. Nice place to go occsionally, I got to revisit my sisters dog there when I was surfing.

Amy, sorry to hear about Charley. Puppies are great, I'm sure there'll be one at our house again in the future. Glad you could share with us , even though it may have been a while since it happened, the sadness is still there.

Danny, I can almost see Chloe in your avatar. She was a little whiter, but yeah, something about those eyes just bore right through you.