Most Absurd Product Contest

Ray Garrison

I bumped across the following items while browsing rec.audio.high-end and, after picking my jaw up off the floor, thought you folks might appreciate the truly awsome level of absurdity presented by:

The gigahertz range supertweeter

tweeter.jpg

The magic chip (?) that fixes timing problems with CD's within two seconds by being placed atop the player

Intellchip.jpg

The best sounding wooden knob for your volume control, only $480...

knobc.jpg

Anyone else have anything to contribute? Don't count $15,000 cables, at least they do conduct electricity. How about the truly, spectacularly, blatently stupid / dishonest? We can honor the winner with the First Annual Peter Belt Paperclip award.

Not really audio related but anything that promises to enlarge your manhood that does not involve a surgical procedure should be regarded as somewhat suspect...er...put that another way....lying their A$$ off actually.

That supertweeter is interesting, but how do they account for the filters that remove all info above 22kHz? Seems like a silly waste of time to me. Oh btw, I can hear dog whistles (or at least used to be able to...haven't tried in a while) so theoretically I should be able to hear them (and thus, time alignment and crossovers and all that crap would come into play). Seems silly to me and how they heck do they get a diaphragm to vibrate at 1gHz? Doesn't the air in the room resonate at a lower frequency?

----------------

On 1/11/2005 4:11:17 PM paulparrot wrote:

So, the magic chip is just placed on top of a CD player and fixes jitter?

----------------

No, I believe their claim is that it modifies the CD itself, I believe I believe I believe I believe

Hallograph_web72_Pix.jpg endorsed by steve hoffman no less!

index.1.jpg my electromagnitism needs stabilizing from a rock!

plugclose3.jpg how about expensive plugs, never mind they plug into your cheap wall outlet and home wiring...oh you could buy an expensive wall outlet, and re-qire the house...

sr-255-ani.gif "I always wanted a horn sound for my dynamic speakers"

----------------

On 1/11/2005 6:17:08 PM sunnysal wrote:

endorsed by steve hoffman no less!

----------------

The thing that looks like a candelabra, and costs a thousand dollars a pair, is to break up standing waves. It was quite funny at the Hoffman forum when someone pointed out that a coatrack would do the same exact thing. Hoffman went ballistic that anyone would question him. Then he admitted that he was peeved anyway because Shakti didn't give him a free one like he had expected they would for his endorsement.

You gotta love their breathless ad copy:

*****Activated panels generate a musically complimentary reflective energy that transforms your listening room by overshadowing typical room distortions which muddy the bass, overbrighten the presentation and blur the soundstage.

The Ambient detail of the original recording site is now finally revealed in all its glory.

Beta testers were stunned by the level of musical improvement they were able to achieve when the prototype Hallograph arrays were put into their systems.*****

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/11/2005 5:13:44 PM DrWho wrote:

That supertweeter is interesting, but how do they account for the filters that remove all info above 22kHz? Seems like a silly waste of time to me. Oh btw, I can hear dog whistles (or at least used to be able to...haven't tried in a while) so theoretically I should be able to hear them (and thus, time alignment and crossovers and all that crap would come into play). Seems silly to me and how they heck do they get a diaphragm to vibrate at 1gHz? Doesn't the air in the room resonate at a lower frequency?

----------------

there is no way that there can me a diaphram in there, it has to be a osicilator of some type that is in there

This seems to be the perfect thread to mention a discovery I made this past week. I own two pugs and while listening to music one of them left a package in the corner of my room. Besides the smell, I noticed an immediate improvement in the sound of my system. The highs were higher, the lows were lower, midrange was more evident & sound stage was improved. There definitely was an increase in energy flow in the higher harmonics. Trust me, it was out of this world listening experience.

For a tidy fee I am willing to bring one pug (you can get both for 1 1/2 times the normal price) over to your music room for a limited engagement to make a special listening device deposit on your floor. You won't believe the difference it can make and this is high quality acoustic material.

Copy rights are pending.

"I dabbed our brand new, silver-saturated, hyper conductive contact lube on the AC plug of my $99 boom box. Then I dabbed it on every plug and lug of a $100,000 dream system. Stunning results on both! For 3 cents a plug, violins gained a gloriously sweet sheen. Delicate acoustic guitar overtones stood unveiled. The scream of over-driven electric guitars cut through with extra edge and punch. Floor beams shivered with the new impact of contrabass, organ and tympani."

"Silclear is the first-ever silver contact lube optimized for good sound, not thermal conductivity. The secret is microscopically thin silver platelets (a millionth inch thin; 8 square feet of surface per gram!) to enhance beneficial skin effect. The unique binder for these platelets is an ultra-pure, low dielectric absorption, food-grade grease to minimize signal loss/smearing. The thinnest possible coating lasts 10 to 20 unpluggings. Comes in a 14-gram jar (with applicator) that treats 1000+ connectors."

SILCLEAR:

$35.00+Shipping