Anyone know of a good pair High Quality Headphones

JDrury5

Guest Anonymous

grado sr-2... costs an arm an a leg, but they are the best looking pair of headphones i think i have ever seen... check the out at stereophile.com... check out the 2 ch forum there is a thread i started about grado's its called grado rs60/rs80 or something and there is a lot of great info in there about senns and grados

The Grado RS line are definitely some good loking cans... but if you are wanting maximum comfort, then Grado's may not be for you. Every complaint I've ever heard about them was that they are uncomfortable... there have been mods to the ear pads which have helped some..... But for maximum comfort, I'd definitely look into Sennheisers. However, they Senns have a very non-Klipsch-like sound. Grado's sound more Klipsch-y... maybe the new Senn HD590s could fit the bill of comfort and up front, live sound.

"Grado's may not be for you.  Every complaint I've ever heard about them was that they are uncomfortable.."

I have never understood this. I know several people who have grado cans, and none of us think they are in any way uncomfortable, but looking one the internet you'd think the grados had huge nails that stuck into your skull while using them. They are comfortable. The band is made of metal, so you can form it to the width of your head. The pads do sit on your ears, but due to the metal band you can adjust how much pressure. I just don't get why they have the uncomfortable reputation.

I wear a pair of Grados for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, as does the guy in the office next to me. No complaints.

There are alot of nice exotic headphones available, but I might suggest the venerable Sony 7506 for a cost effective quality set. And besides, you can listen to the material through the same headphones that almost come standard in every studio in the land. New, you should be able to buy them for about $90-100. Don't pay more!

And on a tangent, according to the Sony engineers, they rate the V600 as 'almost' the same set asthe 7506s and Sony treats the V600 as pro gear for warranty purposes (although it is NOT sold as Pro gear as is the 7506) - and if you shop around on line you should be able to find them new for about $65-70 (again, Don't pay more!)- but despite this, it is interesting to read the radical disparity in reviews between the two units! It is sort of like listening to Chevy pickup owners bad mouthing GMC pickups. Go figure.

Of course the electrostatics are nice too!!!

Guest Anonymous

sony????!?!??!?! they make great headphones..... (long pause of silence) maybe you should just buy the new qualias 010 for 2600 they are supposed to be really great (another long pause os silence).....

Guest Anonymous

i am prett sure the sr-2's are open, but they look amazing no doubt about that, i wouldn't want to get caught in a rain storm with them though...

For under $100:

1) Grado 60 & 80. Open phones (others can hear them and background noise gets in). However they are NOT comfy after an hour or so. I have heard them both and the are really great sounding.

2) Senn 280 but they are closed (you are isolated & nobody can hear what you are listening to). Very Comfortable.

3) Koss Porta-Pro. Open phones. $35-40 bucks and comfortable. Lifetime warranty. Cannot be beat for the money. I have a pair. They are remarkably good.

4) AKG-280. I think open. They have been used in the studios for many, many years. I have never heard them but they are supposed to be comfortable. They are on EBay all the time for just about $100. They may need an amplifier but they do sell an AKG-280S which is efficient.

The best I ever heard was the Sennheiser 600. Far above anything else I have heard. But then again, I have not heard everything.

Considering more Sony 7506s are used in the studio by musicians and engineers than any other headset, I am ALWAYS amused at how so many casual listeners think that they can surpass the quality of the original source by their tweaks and home-brewed magic.

Personally, I simply strive for the REPRODUCTION of the source material as accurately as possible, and if the mix or production stinks, then I can complain about it, but I don't pretend that I can "fix" the source material as so many others do. (After all, how many have an EQ to vainly try to do exactly this!? ;-)

So, if you think that radically distinct and separate soundfields offered by headsets are more accurate than the blended sound field referenced when the source was mastered, by all means spend your money to your hearts content!

And I love(sic) the quaint dismissal of technology simply by referral to a company's name! If only life were so simple. So does this mean that ALL Sony equipment is inferior? And does that mean that NO digital media can pass muster? (After all, they are a primary patent holder along with Phillips!) How simple the world is for so many here!

Guest Anonymous

i think that for the money, in just about every case in audio, there will be something better for around the same price than sony, sony is the number one electronic manufacturer in the world, but sony does not make any of their own plasmas infact there are only about 12 plasma factories in the world, so even so who knows if you are even getting a sony product?, anways back to headphones, seeing that sony makes just about eveything you can think of with electronics music and movies, they really do not speacilize in one thing esp audio and it shows, therefore for the same price you are likely to find something better for the same price from a company that has only ever worked in the realm of audio.

The Sony MDR series are very nice headphones. I love how they fold up and the long telephone like cord that doesn't get tangled up at all. Oh, and the screw on 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is very cool as well.

A while back I was searching the market for a pair of good quality headphones and my budget was $500 (perhaps a bit more) and after a lot of listening I too ended up with the MDR for $100. I can't remember the model number, but I think it's the generation before the 7506. I also have access to some thousand dollar headphones at the studio...a pair by AKG, Sennheizer, and a slightly cheaper pair by Koss. The Sony kicks the crap out of the Koss and the Sennheizer, but the AKG sounds just a bit smoother. Mixes with the AKG translate better, but music itself is much more enjoyable with the Sony.

After hours of use the Sony MDRs get a bit warm on the ears, but you shouldn't be listening on headphones for that long anyway. They are very comfortable though (moreso than all the others I've worked with) and the adjusting thingy has number markings so you can adjust it to exactly how you like it before putting them on. They also do a good job of keeping the sound on your ears and not outside for everyone else to hear.