KLIPSCH HERESY MODS

stewartwen

I HAVE THE OPORTUNUTY TO PURCHASE A PAIR OF KLIPSCH HERESY LOUDSPEAKERS. I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS L/S IS COLOURED IN THE UPPER BASS. IS THIS THE CASE OR IS THIS JUST HERESAY. IF THIS IS THE CASE IS IT POSSIBLE TO MOUNT THE DRIVERS ON AN OPEN BAFFLE?

OR IS THIS JUST WISHFULL THINKING. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO LOAD THE DRIVE UNITS? HORN, OPEN BAFFLE, REFLEX OR INFINITE BAFFLE.

AS I AM A RELATIVE NEWBIE TO KLIPSCH LOUDSPEAKERS I VALUE YOUR HELP.

STEWART 4.gif

----------------

On 1/17/2005 5:48:24 PM stewartwen wrote:

I HAVE THE OPORTUNUTY TO PURCHASE A PAIR OF KLIPSCH HERESY LOUDSPEAKERS. I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS L/S IS COLOURED IN THE UPPER BASS. IS THIS THE CASE OR IS THIS JUST HERESAY. IF THIS IS THE CASE IS IT POSSIBLE TO MOUNT THE DRIVERS ON AN OPEN BAFFLE?

OR IS THIS JUST WISHFULL THINKING. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO LOAD THE DRIVE UNITS? HORN, OPEN BAFFLE, REFLEX OR INFINITE BAFFLE.

AS I AM A RELATIVE NEWBIE TO KLIPSCH LOUDSPEAKERS I VALUE YOUR HELP.

STEWART
4.gif

----------------

Please don't cut up a set of Heresys!!!

What kind of shape are they in and how much is the price?

Chris

I AM BUYING THEM FROM A FRIEND OF MINE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE UK HIFI INDUSTRY AS LONG AS I HAVE. THEY ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND HAVE BEEN RUN FOR APROX 16 HOURS SINCE HE BOUGHT THEM NEW MANY YEARS AGO.I WILL PAY HIM £250 AND ARRANGE CARRIAGE MYSELF. THEY ARE STILL IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF CUTTING THE CABINETS, RATHER TRANSPLANTING THE DRIVE UNITS INTO NEW CABINETS OR EVEN MOUNTING THEM ONTO AN OPEN BAFFLE. I DONT KNOW IF THERE ARE DIFFERING DRIVE UNITS IN THE HERESYS. I REALLY DONT KNOW VERY MUCH ABOUT THE HERESY RANGE OF L/S.

I AM OPEN TO SUGESTIONS.

S

Stewart,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the bass rolls of pretty early on them, but what is there is very clean and tight. The response is very quick. If you have heard JBL L100s or 4311s (which I also own), the sound is similar but the JBL bass goes lower. The Heresys are also more efficient. The mid and high freq horn reveals much detail.

Do you know which version they are? Heresy or Heresy II? There are some differences, but both are quite enjoyable. I think you will consider it money well spent.

I haven't done anything to mine, and you shouldn't either until you have listened to them for a while. I know that mine have a bit better bottom end when driven by my EL34 tube amp and when using my inexpensive Sony receiver with them I use a small sub. Not to shake the house but to fill in. I don't do home theater, just two channel music.

Marvel

Welcome to the forum. Just give those Hersey's a good chance like they are. Don't be swayed by umpteen million opinions on how to upgrade them without even listening to them. Give a good listen and get used to them. I can't wait to see your pictures. Make sure to come back and post them!

In the UK any Klisch loudspeaker is a RARE beast. Although a friend has a pair of La Scalas which I find entrancing! S o I decided to buy the Heresy lodspeakers. I dont know if they are Heresy 1 or Heresy 2. I will find out when they are delivered.

I also have an EL34 push pull amplifier which I agree seems to suit Klipsch loudspeakers. I was asking for possible mods because I love really low bass. and the Heresy as yuo describe them does not produce low end grunt. This ability is important to me as all of thre recorded room acoustic is cobntained below 50Hz. I will do as you say and LISTEN for a while before starting (if at all) on the mods.

stewart3.gif

----------------

On 1/18/2005 12:12:36 PM stewartwen wrote:

In the UK any Klisch loudspeaker is a RARE beast. Although a friend has a pair of La Scalas which I find entrancing! S o I decided to buy the Heresy lodspeakers. ...

I was asking for possible mods because I love really low bass. and the Heresy as yuo describe them does not produce low end grunt. This ability is important to me as all of thre recorded room acoustic is cobntained below 50Hz.

----------------

Actually I'm glad you auditionned a LaScala... so it'll give you a better idea on what to expect. The LaScala also suffer from a relatively high bass rolloff... but have a brighter (more defined, if you prefer) midrange than the Heresy. I wouldn't describe either as having a weak upper bass... as they do quite well in that range. It's the lower bass they they are both lacking... as they both fade away at 50Hz.

I used Heresy many years in 2CH and also preferred them with a sub to fill them in.

The best MOD I found for them was upgrading to Cornwalls. 2.gif

Welcome to the family...

Rob

I was amazed at the lightening transient response of the La Scalas, Bob uses a British valve rig with a Garrard 301(Martin Bastin mods) with an SME series one and a Decca C4E.

This system is totally different to mine butit sounded so crystal clear and, in his room sounded so large.

I have an Eminence bass bin which uses twin 15 Delta bass drivers, but I have found that bandpass reflex bass bins sound slow......

Although I could build a pair of bins using horn technology and somewhat smaller bass drivers, and drive them with a large power amplifier.

This is just speculation untill I recieve my Heresys.

S 2.gif

I admit that I don't listen at very loud volumes, so I have found my 8 inch Velodyne sub (it was a gift from a relative) is plenty clean and loud for use with my Heresys. That could easily change, of course. I have a couple of JBL subs in storage that I have as yet to unpack (my son brought them back from school, after getting them on ebay). They would be a lot tighter than the velo.

Marvel

• 2 years later...

I own a pair of 1981 Heresys. I am their original owner. I agree that the bass does roll off quite quickly after about 80 hz or so. I don't believe that there is any real modification that could be done to their cabinet, or crossover, or drivers to change that. In fact I've always found that the bass driver was rolled off quite quickly because there were som annoying resonances that show up at about 80 hz and below. With my speakers, I like to make sure that no frequency below 90 hz gets sent to them. Any information that is below 90 hz is redirected to the sealed box subwoofer of my RP-3s (relatively quick response subs that go down to 30 hz). Anything below 30 hz is routed to a single separate bass reflex sub. I don't turn that sub on unless I am really missing the extreme low frequency info. The other problem with the older model Heresy's is that they don't reproduce high frequency info beyond about 17Khz. Your friend's LaScalas probably also didn't reproduce those unless they are brand new models. I think the Heresy IIs did finally go up to 20Khz. THere are new drivers and crossovers that fix this problem I am told, but I haven't made the investment yet. Choosing to supplement the high frequencies with the output from my RP3s.

When I first purchased my Klipsch RP-3s, I put away my Heresys. But there is still something golden magical about the midrange and tweeter.

I hope you enjoy your Heresys.

I don't hear colouration in the upper bass, but the LF roll-off is
high, both to keep the cabinet small and the efficiency high.
Spend some time on room treatments and speaker placement beore you
change anything. If it is over 20 years old, expect to replace
the capacitors; they will have deteriorated enough to hear it.

It is possible to build a larger cabinet and get more,
lower bass output. As I remember, a good size is right at 3 cubic
feet, with a port. However, you will encounter excessive woofer
cone movement at low frequencies and modest sound levels.

The
speaker's response curve is tilted upward toward the treble
frequencies. If you make any changes at all, I'd suggest a remake
of the crossover according to the schematic TypeEModified.jpg.
The mods will make the speaker kinder to drive with a tube amp,
too.

This mod of a Type E is very similar to the older Type C cossover of the 50s and 60s.

post-2142-13819349772464_thumb.jpg