Last call Beta Testers!

Amy

Amy,

I only tried the Heritage buttons. The best result is by clicking on the "Heritage" heading, but, with the pull-down menu and an obvious button for "Go," it's not clear that the word "Heritage" itself is a hot link. Moreover, it's the only link that easily and directly goes to the page of current Heritage products. The "Help me choose" button only takes one to the overall "Help me Choose" page. I myself find this generates somewhat confusing navigation.

Gettin' there!

Larry

Though it totally goes against the format you're working on, I think it'd make more sense to sort the products section by type of speaker and not by lineup...lineup can be sorted seperately after speaker type. If I was a consumer researching Klipsch's products, I would very much like to see all the floorstanders together so that I can figure out which lineup best fits my needs versus budget.

The long paragraph on the left is long...A while back some research was done that showed that the majority of people browsing websites don't bother to read anything more than 4 lines long. They're also more likely to read the 4 lines if they're bullet points. I have viewed the product page so many times and I've never bothered to read the stuff on the left. After forcing myself to read it, I realized that it isn't really necessary and it just clutters up the page.

I would recommend making the main products page look more like the page that the "help me choose" link points to. Above the list of lineups, I would have a few search menus. Maybe have a drop down menu where you can select type (bookshelf or floorstanding or subwoofer, etc etc) and then another text bar where you can do just a normal basic search. At the top of the search results when searching by type, it would be nice to have a few links to select different lineups...no need for a drop down menu here. When viewing by lineup, it would be nice to have a few links to select a speaker type (which would then provide links to the other lineups). I hope all this makes sense...if you'd like, I could draw up the backbone as it's much easier to understand that way.

Lastly, I think the current products page would look better with a single column instead of two. It's natural human instinct to want to scroll down and thus the items on the right will tend to be ignored. The sections could easily be spread out a bit to help narrow them down so that the page isn't so deep.

Oh I almost forgot...the navigation buttons are a bit silly when you're finally on the pages showing the actual products. I would stick to the page numbers and get rid of the "first next previous last" buttons. I know everything is stored in a database, but there's no reason to present things that way. Just bump the page number links up to the top and maybe make them a bit bigger for the "blinder" folk out there...well, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to have them on both the top and bottom (so that you don't have to scroll to click for the next page).

It has that cheap website feel and look. The shady sites that sells new gear that is 5 years old. I looked at the bottom, expecting to see "designed by (insert asian name here)"

It looks like some college computer science freshman went at it in a weekend HTML binge.

Thats just my opinion on its asthetics. Functionally, its working.

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/19/2005 3:03:40 AM DrWho wrote:

Though it totally goes against the format you're working on, I think it'd make more sense to sort the products section by type of speaker and not by lineup...lineup can be sorted seperately after speaker type. If I was a consumer researching Klipsch's products, I would very much like to see all the floorstanders together so that I can figure out which lineup best fits my needs versus budget.
If you do a keyword search, such as "floorstand," you can get a list off all the floorstanders in different lines.

I'll pass the rest of your suggestions on to the web team, thank you!

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/19/2005 3:48:51 AM white_shadow wrote:

It has that cheap website feel and look. The shady sites that sells new gear that is 5 years old. I looked at the bottom, expecting to see "designed by (insert asian name here)"

It looks like some college computer science freshman went at it in a weekend HTML binge.

Thats just my opinion on its asthetics. Functionally, its working.
----------------

That seems a little harsh, but we can take the criticism! Can you point us to what you think is a more "professional" looking site as an example?

----------------

On 1/19/2005 9:57:39 AM Amy Unger wrote:

If you do a keyword search, such as "floorstand," you can get a list off all the floorstanders in different lines.

I'll pass the rest of your suggestions on to the web team, thank you!

----------------

My point here though is that it's not clear to the new person browsing the page...there shouldn't be any learning curve for the person using the site. From the standpoint of the creator and those that know how it works it is completely functional, but it's not user friendly. It looks too much like the author is proud of the cool scripting in the background 2.gif

I've done a few quick searches of other websites and couldn't really find any speaker companies that were very easy to use. I've gotta go to class now, but I'll be sure to hunt down some website that could be a good model to follow. I suppose it's a good thing that competition is clumsy too then 2.gif

I've said som eof this before...

1- I agree with the above comment to substitute "Discontinued" with some other word or combination, but it must be clear that they are no longer manufactured ("classics" isn't different enough from "heritage" in that respect).

2- Perhaps the "discontinued" category can have a horizontal divider under the last word ("systems") and then start again with the loudspeaker lines (e.g. CF, KG, KLF, KM, etc)

3- The heritage button has only "All" so it's useless to have to select that followed by "Go". Have a non-fuctional "All" displayed and the "Go" button; or simply put the 4 Heritage speakers in the pulldown menu in addition to "All". There's no point in selecting "All" followed by "Go" to get a list if you know you want to see the Klipschorn. Plus, that menu hides flagships from users: If I tell someone he can find out about my La Scala on your website, where will he click? It would be easier if the name appeared under the pull-down menu.

"Klipschorn" search does not find 50th Ann Khorn...

on the Clearance page, where does the Parts field go? (back to Clearance page)

can't find Khonr misspellings

can't find current drivers: K-77 or K-33 (how to search for replacement parts that Klipsch sells?)

can't find crossovers or networks (how do customers upgrade?)

nice look though...

11.gif

Looking snazzy!!!

Again, ther needs to be some hints towards price. Something like (text in here is my take on it, obviously!):

Synergy: The best value that will fit any room or budget... (you bums can even afford it!)

Reference: Industry leading preformance (hint that is is not the cheapest, but not outrageous)

THX: World class preformance...nothing was spared when developing... (it's expensive, but really cool!!!)

Heritage: Unique speakers that have stood the test of time. No compromose design means you are getting the best sound available (again, it's expensive, but you are getting something special as heck)

Aragon: world class electronics for world class sound (you are getting the best)

Get the idea? Just need to drop some hints 2.gif

I think the layout is a little too cluttered. There is nothing wrong with pulldown menus. For instance the old search page, seems to have search by product or type in a pulldown menu. Rather than having all the products listed up front.

I'm also not digging the multiple "GO" buttons. I think only one is necessary. It looks as though you can select multiple products that would result in a merged search.

I think a simplier layout (like the previous one) with one pulldown (product line), with one "GO", and a search function.

Something that would be nice is a juxtapose type function, that would allow you to pick a sub, and then compare it to other similar products across the line. For example sub, 10", powered.

It is just my opinion, but I think we can all agree that there are some damn ugly and poorly designed websites out there. Not to mention those with bad spelling and without proper ENGRISH.

Guest Brendan Riggs

Thank you everybody for your continued help with this project. We have taken everything into consideration and used a lot of the ideas and feedback we got to further progress with the product search. Someone had mentioned they wanted to be able to view all Zon products as related categories. As of now, everyone main Zon product links to each other, each Zon product with available face plates link to everything as well as their face plates, and each face plate links to all other face plates from that product as well as the product the face plate is for... :out of breath: Check it out and let me know what you think, as well as any suggestions or comments concerning the Zon. -Brendan

Zac-60 Amplified Keypad

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=807

Zim-4 Input Module

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=808

(not sure if this has been mentioned as I skipped over everyones post)

Sorry for not doing my part and adding my 2 bits until now... BUT.. Here is something I noticed right off the bat.

The search page is great. BUT, when choosing something like an aragon product, then pressing the GO button it takes you to the aragon products as I would expect. What does throw me off however is the large graphic to the right of the speaker (not sure which one it is). From a marketing standpoint, it would seem to me as though you would want your flagship product for that catagory in that spot. So, I would have expected to have seen a picture of one of the aragon amps not a speaker.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1261&type=1274

Same with the cinema line.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1277&type=1279... Rather than showing that small home speaker, you show an image of the grand pooba... The KPT-MCM-4-T Grand.

Just a suggestion. Now I'm not suggesting that you have EVERY product that would go there, just as I mentioned the flagship of that category...

The entire thing is very pretty, but that has a built in "gotcha". I, and lots of other poor folks, only have dial-up internet. With this slow connection all the "stuff" takes too long to load. I tend to loose interest before the pretty stuff gets to me and move on. You might conside some sort of way to simplify it to speed it up for the dial-up people.

AL K.