Engineering Jobs in this Industry

atomicskiier01

Guest Anonymous

i don't know why Purdue, but i a lot of my budies went down the path of purdue.... i on the other hand went for the ultra nerd path "BS EE, math minor, technology and design certification, and secondary education certificate", on the road to a masters, i would highly recomend getting your masters as well as down the road, also look heavily at getting your PE , job offers come a lot easier to those with their PE

ohh totally off topic, but one of my high school teachers, great guy, he was a lawyer that had is own firm and he folded it to teach, because he realized that teaching is what he really wanted to do and it made him very happy, but this is the interesting part of this stupid story. His brother dropped out of high school. Did nothing for a pretty long time, and then got a job with a very young company (JBL) and how in gods name he ended up as (lead engineer, not actually and engineer but mangement) now since he got that job he did go back to school and went through the entire motions and got a buisness degree in product mangement.... i always thought that to be a good story just because it shows there is hope if you are willing to work for it

I wanna work for JBL! (or Harman, I know) - first thing I would do is buy ball-gags and whips and beat them for not making better products. So much potential, such a massive company with fantastic resources and talent, but they waste it on lame, boring, under acheiving products (sure Klipsch is happy!).

Shame...

Pyro,

I posted this thread beacause the audio industry is my passion. I have already had a couple of offers from automotive companies (not that hard to come by when your parents live in SE Michigan), but I don't really enjoy cars (except the stereo!). Your post reminded me of some very good advice that I had received before about knowing the people you are going to be working with becuause it will make all the difference. Thanks for all of the great tips! Keep 'em coming.

• Moderators

If you don't have any luck at Klipsch, Harmon does have offices down in Martinsville. I think that's the only other big-name audio company in this area. A couple hours from Purdue, though.

And about the pilgrimage, there's a thread in here about it started by Trey. Please put in your request of where to have it. Hope has the manufacturing plant, and Indy has the engineering facility.

----------------

On 1/19/2005 4:37:33 PM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 1/19/2005 4:33:21 PM atomicskiier01 wrote:

Looks like I started a hot thread here. Anybody else out there work for audio companies besides Klipsch (components, electronics)?----------------

Well, my friend works for Bose. He pulls in $450k a year, has a Lexus LS430 as a company car, gets 12 weeks paid vacation a year, and does not need to work very hard.

9.gif

----------------

$450K a year? And only has a Lexus as a company car? Sheesh, you would think with those kind of wages he'd be offered a Ferrari F430.

JBL/Harman/Infinity hires tons of grads as well as undergrads for interships here in California. I don't think I'd relocate for a JBL job, but they probably have other sites as well.

Regarding the geeks of geeks, EE's take first place. I know this for a fact, being an EE myself. Thats why I have a bunch of architect friends. But people need to realise that getting an EE, ME, CE, or CS degree is time consuming. You spend alot of time between the pages of a book, at your desk, at the lab, at your computer, or doing four-page long homework problems.

Which leaves little time for any social life.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/21/2005 3:28:30 AM white_shadow wrote:

JBL/Harman/Infinity hires tons of grads as well as undergrads for interships here in California. I don't think I'd relocate for a JBL job, but they probably have other sites as well.

Regarding the geeks of geeks, EE's take first place. I know this for a fact, being an EE myself. Thats why I have a bunch of architect friends. But people need to realise that getting an EE, ME, CE, or CS degree is time consuming. You spend alot of time between the pages of a book, at your desk, at the lab, at your computer, or doing four-page long homework problems.

Which leaves little time for any social life.

----------------

amen to that, when i graduated i spent the next year of my life making up for all that lost time in my social life haha, well my buddies that went all through college undeclared liberal arts majors had the best time of thier life, now its the other way around! but the EE's are just brutal when it comes to geeks

I am a dual geek.

I went for my ME (because I was alwyas fabricating and designing) but had to switch to CE because in Las Vegas there is a lot of CE work and the pay is equal or better. I worked as an accident reconstructionist for a while and then went to law school becasue I realized that law was not that difficult. I am now studying for the patent bar (you basically need an engineering degree to get into patent practice).

I can tell you that engineering school was harder than law school, and I was ranked higher in engineering school than I was in law.

Anyway, that makes me a dual geek,

Chris

Being an EE - "Which leaves little time for any social life"...

That's why at the tender age of 18 I went and got a degree in Medical Technology - which was good job security and paid the bills (and let me have some FUN while I was there)...

..and then returned to school at age 30 to get my EET degree - when I CARED about being there, without my main goal being to party....and have been blessedly successful since.

Popbumper