Best HT reciever for music?

ottscay

Hey everyone. I found out too late that my Yahmaha reciever isn't the best match for my Klipsch reference speakers (a tad birght). Also, the subwoofer-in port on the multi-channel input isn't working, which is a pain in the rear. So I want to upgrade in a month or so when I can afford to. I can spend maybe $800-$1200, so I want to know what you think is the best reciever. Priorities: I want at least 5.1 surround, since I have a home theater set up. I don't care about multi-zone capabiity too much, but I really want to get a reciever that's good for muscic (CDs and SACDs mostly).

What do you guys say; what midrange surround reciever does the best job with music?

Thanks for you opinions!

Scott

If music is priority the HK's are ok(other than the 7200).I own a 3802 had an 03/05,just decent for music.For real music in a avr you need to look at the Rotel 1056,or a Marantz of similar price(about $1200).Just my opinion after auditioning a pile of em'in my house.

There is a used Marantz SR9200 on ebay right now in my price range...but I won't be able to get it right now. Would this be a good choice, or am I better off getting a new but less expensive model? And yes, I'll sell the Yahmaha when I upgrade. It's a HTR-5760. And I have to admit it does HT really well, and the music is the best I've owned...I just want more ;)

In general I'm hearing that the Marantz' models are the most "musical." And I assume they do HT ok, since that's usually less demanding acoustically?

Thanks, and keep those opinons coming!

Scott

Very hard to find a NAD dealer compared to Marantz. Ok, let me see if I have this straight; a decent Marantz, (like the SR7400) would provide a better music experience then a Denon 3805? And how about between Marantz and the NAD 773? Unfortunately the only physical dealer which carries klisch reference (and that's an hour drive) doesn't carry any of these brands except Denon, so it will be hard to hear them with my speakers prior to purchase. That's what I get for living in Wyoming...

If going with Marantz, I'd stick with the newer SRx500 series. Actually, for that matter, I'd stick with a new series for everything. I am picky, I guess... Older receivers don't appeal to me.

An HK would sound warmer than your Yammy, no doubt... but may not be exactly where you want to go. I actually kind of felt that the HK I had for a while was a tad too dark and laid back (not much, but just a bit).

I'd say go with a Marantz (7500) or the Rotel mentioned above (1056). I've heard the Rotel and it really is great for music.

Perhaps you might think to go separates?

Music from SACDs and CDs sound VERY good from Pioneer Elite models with i.link. The i.link models do not need the six analog cables. An IEEE 1394 Firewire cable caries the digital signal from an i.link equiped universal player to the receiver. This means that you get a jitter-free signal with digital time alignment and bass management from the receiver.

The model to look at is the Pioneer VSX-56TXi. The street is within the budget specified.

Bill

Ya know that is the quandary of recommending any amp or upstream device to mate with your speakers. I find my Yamaha a pleasant sounding receiver. Not as good as a separate rig but I am fairly pleased with it for 2 channel music. However having said that its your ears you have to please. Rather than take a recommendation and buying a new unit, try to demo them at your local dealer. Insist on comparing equals but see what flexibility they offer and test for your self. Also it will likely not sound the same as it would in your home. Good luck.

"Do you think you might go seperates?"

K, please help a neophyte audiophile. I have a decent understanding of the phsics of sound, and how electrical and magnetic forces work to produce it. I have a decent understanding of recievers. What ARE seperates? I know they are a well regarded high end deviece, but do they substitute for a reciever? How do they work? Is there a 5.1 surround version available in the $800-1,200 range? And would they be better than a similarly priced reciever? Thanks for taking pitty on my ignorance.

Scott

You prolly ain't gonna get seperates(5.1/7.1) for 1200.The seperates route gives you a pre/pro in one unit that does everything an avr does except amplify.You then need a seperate amp/s,the benefit is better parts,power,sound,options etc.Another benefit is you can update your pre/pro and keep your amps(if you like em)cause they generally last long and sound as good or better than new.

If you got plenty of bread go seperates,if not you should listen to Rotels 1056/67,very musical,you can add amps later or use built in and the sound competes w/seperates(of modest price)very well.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 4:25:49 PM schouse13 wrote:

I too have the Marantz SR7500. I have it matched with the RB25 system. So far it's been great. Music and movies both sound really good. Mine gets warm as most receivers do, but I would not say it gets hot.

----------------

Hey schouse 13, how are you enjoying your SR7500, I am really enjoying mine but have not found many reviews on it other than the one I wrote a couple of months ago. I'm always interested in hearing whether or not someone else has the same views on the sr7500 as I do.

I still like it very much. I continue to play around with the settings in that I could not get the MRAC to set it automatically. The sound though with the Klipsch speakers is incredible. I auditioned several receiver and speaker brands, but I think this is a great match. The only other review I found for the SR7500 was at:

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2004/11/marantz_sr7500.html

Also, Audioholics.com is supposed to review some of the new Marantz receivers at some point.

----------------

On 1/24/2005 3:00:41 PM schouse13 wrote:

I still like it very much. I continue to play around with the settings in that I could not get the MRAC to set it automatically. The sound though with the Klipsch speakers is incredible. I auditioned several receiver and speaker brands, but I think this is a great match. The only other review I found for the SR7500 was at:

Also, Audioholics.com is supposed to review some of the new Marantz receivers at some point.

----------------

Read the review at hometheaterblog and really enjoyed everything that was written. Thanks for the info.