How high ?

Jennifer1

Hi!

Here's my question:

in the owner's manual of my receiver they mention that if I turn the volume know above 0db, I damage my equipement and hearing( I didn't try...too loud even at -20db...) but I'm wondering if that 0db correspond at 1/2 of the volume knob...because the HK receiver don't have a standard volume control that stop when you reach the max, you can turn it all the way and you see the number of decibel on the screen...it ranges from -79db at +15db..what do these numbers mean?

;)

Good question. I believe its a totally unrelated uncalibrated rediculous figure that changes depending how strong your input signal is. Sometimes -20 will be a fine volume then upon changing a disc I will have to increase the reading to -14 to get the same output as before. In my opinion it is some kind of really useless reading that means absolutely nothing because it is not calibrated. Rather have the pointer on the volume control.

JJK

These numbers are an indicator only.

Nothing else needs to be read into their use.

I have found that I like the digital volume readouts because some of my sources need to be higher/lower than others. The readout allowes me to easily set the volume and be able to return to it.

There is no technical standard on the actual numbers themselves.

Good observation Jennifer! Notice also how there is no more 4:00 , 12:00 etc, cause the new motor-driven volume knobs just keep spinning. They are gear driven to work with remotes and much less sensitive to the manual twist 'o the wrist so that they will not be so gosh-durn sensitive when you press the remote button. On my Yamaha, it will go like 2 1/2 complete revolutions before coming to max loudness (I did this with speakers OFF).

Use the numbers as a reference for yourself. Mine, I find that -20 is about right starting point for movies, -30 to -40 for music, -50 you can barely hear, etc.

Above all, have FUN!

Michael

Jennifer,

The volume numbers are relative (as are all things rated in dB). However, there is an input level, say 300 millivolts, that will cause the power section to put out full power at the 0 dB setting on the preamp section's volume control. Since music is not a constant voltage tone (except Carlos Santana sometimes), but a rapid series of peaks and dips, a signal that averages our 300 mV will have peaks much higher. The higher peaks drive the amplifier into severe distortion (aka clipping) and possibly speaker damage.

Since the receiver maker cannot predict how loud something is recorded, or how high your CD player's output voltave is, he cautions you not to exceed 0 dB. This is wise. OYOH, if you have a low output DVD player or something recorded quietly, you have 0 to +15 dB to use to bring up the volume to a desireable level.

I used to have this very problem with a low output phono cartridge. The Radio or CD player was unbearable above 12 noon on the volume knob, but I could turn the knob to max on phono without distortion.

The term "volume" control is actually a misnomer. The proper term (rarely used to name the control) is "gain". The gain (or volume) control, controls the INPUT signal. It determines the "ratio" of "gain". For instance, 1 millivolt in, 1 volt out. Turn it up, and 1 millivolt in, 2 volts out, etc. Theoretically, you could actually make the amplifier/receiver produce full output (or more), even at it's lowest setting given enough input signal. And the instructions you were given totally ignore speaker efficiency. The same "volume (gain) level setting" using some speakers may be produce a sound pressure level 10-15dB lower than say, a Klipschorn.

The 0 dB level is a THX certification standard. At 0 dB your system should be at the dB level experienced in a movie theater or what the sound engineers intended when it was mixed.

Your system should be capable of playing at 0 dB. If not something is not up to spec. It is loud, but so is a movie theater.

The 1/2 mark is just a coincidence.

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:00:06 AM white_shadow wrote:

The 0 dB level is a THX certification standard. At 0 dB your system should be at the dB level experienced in a movie theater or what the sound engineers intended when it was mixed.

Your system should be capable of playing at 0 dB. If not something is not up to spec. It is loud, but so is a movie theater.

The 1/2 mark is just a coincidence.

----------------

White_shadow, the 0 db level on a pair of speakerws that are rated at 88db @ 1 watt at 1 meter is not going to be the same as with a speaker capable of 104db @ 1 watt at 1 meter. The difference might cause hearing damage.

Not knowing the speakers that were used to get this (standard) movie experience I'd ignore all of the pretty numbers and set the gain control to a comfortable level and enjoy. Happy listening.

Randy

Edited white_shadows name, I had it wrong.