FS - 1956 Khorn

greg928gts

Well, s/n - 1052, pictured here, occupies a corner of my spare bedroom as of yesterday evening.

Greg - you're correct, I purchased it for quite a bit less than $500.

I already had 4 mid-50's klipschorns (2 - '53's and 2 - factory custom '54's) so I was going to take a pass on this one but the seller made it to where i couldn't pass the deal up. Salinas (where the speaker was) is a 4.5hr (one way) trip from where I live in Grass Valley CA, so the wife and I made a 'costal weekend' of it.

The clincher was the Jensen tweeter. I had a single one of these gems sitting on the shelf for 6 years awaiting a mate, they are far too expensive to just go get one from epay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5760666050&fromMakeTrack=true

So now I have a pair of these tweeters, though I don't know what I'll do with them. I have installed a 'factory correct' University 4401 to replace the Jensen tweeter, so I also have a perfect, mint condition 1956 Khorn (in 'prima-vera' blond) as a spare in case I lose a driver in one of my other mid-50's khorns......all for less than the price the Jensen tweeter ebay seller looks like he will get for his tweeter......

BTW - hooked up the '56 to my ST70 tube amp......the sound is magical. Truly a case where the swhole is greater than the sum of the parts......