Any Marantz 8B Users Out There

KT66

I had a Marantz 8B that I enherited from my father. I traded it on a McIntosh MC250 and never looked back. It was used with Altec Malibu speakers. The 8B is a fine amp but not worth nearly what they go for now. I am a SS amp fan, so I'm biased though! I got tired of all the heat it made. If you look at my person wab site (see below), you will see by fathers cabinet and the compartment it was housed in. Mu MC50 and MC250 are both in the same compartment now. To spite big ventilation holes, it got so hot the pitch inside the transformers melted and started to run out through the bottom! I also would burn my fingers every time I tried to adjust the bias pots.

Al K.

I can't comment on the 250 but i compared it to the 2100 which is a better amplifier. The marantz 8b is in a hole other level in Hi- Fi than the 2100. 2100 a 7 marantz 8B 10. not even close. of coarse this is my opinion..... But i must say some of you guys need your ears checked. LOL Cheers to all the audiophiles at there. keep the music alive. I wanted to add running La Scala bottoms with altec 288C and 805B multicell horns with wood 30162 wood wave guide. sound is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a Marantz 8B that I enherited from my father. I traded it on a McIntosh MC250 and never looked back. It was used with Altec Malibu speakers. The 8B is a fine amp but not worth nearly what they go for now. I am a SS amp fan, so I'm biased though! I got tired of all the heat it made. If you look at my person wab site (see below), you will see by fathers cabinet and the compartment it was housed in. Mu MC50 and MC250 are both in the same compartment now. To spite big ventilation holes, it got so hot the pitch inside the transformers melted and started to run out through the bottom! I also would burn my fingers every time I tried to adjust the bias pots.

Al K.

I can't comment on the 250 but i compared it to the 2100 which is a better amplifier. The marantz 8b is in a hole other level in Hi- Fi than the 2100. 2100 a 7 marantz 8B 10. not even close. of coarse this is my opinion..... But i must say some of you guys need your ears checked. LOL Cheers to all the audiophiles at there. keep the music alive. I wanted to add running La Scala bottoms with altec 288C and 805B multicell horns with wood 30162 wood wave guide. sound is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and was your 8b fully restored bet not. Un- restored they sound like garbage period.

• 2 weeks later...

Al K.

The Marantz 8b when properly restored ( not stock ) is twice the amp as a 250. the 250 is good the Marantz 8b is fantastic 5 stars comared two 2 stars sorry. You just do not have a very refined ear. a MC 240 is much better than a 250. the marantz 8b is on a different level than the 240. this is my opinion of coarse every buddy has a different ear. Cheers to all you listeners out there.