Clear, distinct bass ?

Jennifer1

What do they mean by that? It's the first time I got a sub, I didn't even listen to the RW-12, I was sure to like it. But when I put my ear near the sub, the sound is muffled. I thought that low frequencies do that..

I should have listened to one before buying so I would know if there is a problem....

Clear distinct bass is what you should hear through your sub on musical passages,if its properly set up.Keep in mind you do not listen to your sub w/your ear near the sub.You "hear" the benefits of the sub as part of your overall sound,check at listening position for proper bass response.There are many different ways to set up your sub,then placement is another big issue.For movies you may hear a wide variety of sounds from your sub,anything below the x-over point.

If on music you're not getting accurate bass response you should read your avr,dvd,sub manual and make sure its properly set up.

Jennifer,

What music are you playing when it sounds this way to you?

I have a jazz album recorded by a friend of mine, and the bass sounds very clean (clear and distinct). Some Bela FLeck and the Flecktones will give you some clean low bass.

It could depend on the specific piece you are playing, your source equipment (CD player, turntable, receiver). SInce the sub has its own amp, it could be how you are feeding it.

Marvel

Probably nothing is wrong.

If you listen to only the sub, you are hearing only the bass below about 70 Hz. On any music it will sound muffled including some with bass guitar or the like.

One time I hooked up only the bass bins of my home make K-Horns expecting to hear, as you expected, some marvelous stuff. Nope, it was very disappointing. These go up to 300 or 400 Hz and you're in more limited situation.

The magic does appear when the bass is added to the rest of the set-up. It is difficult to believe that accurate bass can make the contribution it does when it sounds muffled alone. But it is true.

Naturally you have to set the level of the sub correctly, etc.

Gil

Jennifer:

I am listening to a sub for the first time too...Last night I was leaning over the sub and I thought (I have mine where 2 walls meet) wow, this sounds "muddy" but when I backed up and sat in my chair...it was just fine...I think I was experiencing the "learning curve" perhaps you were too?

Just my .02

Bill

1st your sub should be set up with an SPL meter. Once you do that you will be surprised at truly how much bass you are getting. I find that I like much much more bass for my movies than music. With my music I set the sub by ear. What I mean is that good tight bass should not be boomy or overly loud but it should blend with the music. If I can tell that the sub is there I turn it down a little more then I know it is correct.

(thanks a lot....I can't believe how you are patient with me, ...I'm.always getting a fast response...I'm always surprised! ;)))

well I guess it's what you described...When I'm in the listening position it's correct, it's just I was curious and stuck my ear right on the sub..ehehe When I listen movies, I set it more loud..and music I do it by ear too.

I will get an SPL meter soon though.