Some discussion of Heresys over at.....

dhsettim

I followed the Pi Forum thread with interest. I've had a pair of Heresy's for a couple of years now and loved what they did right but had issuses with the very lean balance and sometimes harsh (bright?) mids and highs (this with a classic tube amp.) I tried putting them right into the corners (pointed into the corner) sitting on plastic milk crates.LET THERE BE BASS! Amazing how big the bass became. However, the mids and highs now sounded mellow (can you picture a mellow Heresy?) To fix this, I moved the mid and treble wires to the next higher autoformer setting on the crossover. This balanced things out pretty good. The Heresy's now sound like they've been put on steroids! You won't need a subwoofer with this set up except for movie rumble.

It's interesting and educational to try this. I might even leave things this way. Certainly simple and reversable.

Dave1.gif

Ok, continuing the saga. Even though corner loading the bass seems to do great things, I just can't coax enough levels from the mid-horn and tweeter this way. A whole re-design of the crossover would be in order, which I'm not in the mood for right now. I wired the horns back to normal (I actually hooked the mid-horn up a step lower then normal) and turned the speakers back facing into the room. I have them sitting on the floor right in the corner with a thin block of wood under the bottom to tilt them back a bit. This is much better balanced. I suspect this is optimal for Heresy's, as they are pretty lean and forward sounding anywhere else in the room. Mid and treble horns actually work pretty good in corners compared to cones because of a horn's narrow radiating pattern.

Perhaps in the spring I'll experiment with building new boxes and rear mounting the woofer with the mid and treble horns front mounted. The horns levels will need to be raised to match the increase in bass that will result, but I suspect all the effort may be worth it. In the meantime, I'm getting some pretty realistic music pumped into my living room.

Dave 1.gif

Dave, How about cutting out a piece of 1/2" MDF or plywood for the back, making cutouts for the K-700 and K-77 facing rearwards. Or conversely mount the woofer facing rearwards. Of course you'd need another piece to seal off the holes in the front but that's easy. Hmmm.....5.gif

Rick

----------------

On 1/31/2005 11:41:50 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Dave, How about cutting out a piece of 1/2" MDF or plywood for the back, making cutouts for the K-700 and K-77 facing rearwards. Or conversely mount the woofer facing rearwards. Of course you'd need another piece to seal off the holes in the front but that's easy. Hmmm.....
5.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick,

Have you been reading my mind? I was thinking just that very thing. It has to wait for a weather warm up, though, as my Michigan shop is frozen right now. I may even build a new baltic birch box and make the whole thing look nice and professional. The Heresy boxes I have are the plywood ones and have veener peeling off. They look like they were official frat room speakers for the last 20 years or so.3.gif

Dave9.gif