Klipsch Cornerhorns

topfueltom

Hello, I just bought a set of Cornerhorns from the original owners they moved them once in 30 years( they bought new carpet that year)They are millioniares from the coast of Ca. upperscale home in guarded neighborhood right on the beach!!They never listened to them very seldom and never loudl!! The handyman has worked for them going on 15 years and had never even heard them!! Anyways I want to know more about them as the woman had limited knowledge of them and her husband was not available, I have the serial#'s and one of the tags is still readable, well allmost! It says KCBK serial #1 9P670 and #2 9P669 can you get me more info on them? She told me they are from 1976, they are in excellent condition a 9-1/2 - 10 easily!! The handyman told me the wood is a heavy ply most likely a Baltic Birch. You don't want to know what I paid for them :') Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome.

They are 1976 model "C" (no "neck") and are probably BR, not BK. KCBR stands for Klipschorn, Model C, Birch Raw.

Welcome to the 1976 Khorn club! Get them in good corners and just listen for a while. After you get your ears accoustomed to the sound, you will want to consider crossover upgrades and getting them sealed tightly into the corners.

Congrats!

Congradulations Tom and welcome!

Yes those are 1976 models with AA networks, K-55V push post squakers and an Alnico K-77 tweeter almost as good as my '77s.2.gif

Read around the forum, there are many posts on simple mods to get the best out of your Khorns without spending a lot of money. I didn't touch mine for twenty five years until I started lurking here reading the posts.

Get to know your their sound before making any adjustments so that you will have a basis for comparison.

Show us some pictures.3.gif

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!9.gif

Rick

Those were the ones in Monarch Beach at the end of Crown Valley Parkway as it T's into PCH right? I talked to her myself, but I am looking for walnut oiled "B's" from 74-80, or I'll buy brand new ones if I don't find any locally by the end of the year.

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! Just remember, like year Khorns will sound the same irregardess of finish or type.

No, they are the same set you saw listed on Ebay however a few days ago (with no pics) but we agreed to a cheaper amount. Not much but alittle :') I will post pics later if I can figure that out, but they are beautiful with black cloth grills, light Birch in excellent condition! These folks that sold them to me are Dr's. in there golden years in a great location overlooking the ocean with neighbors that would not put up with anything louder than the ocean waves and birds chirping!!

Thankx everyone for the warm welcome and I'm happy to be part of the club!!9.gif

Thomas,

How much are you willing to spend? Look around the forum here and you will see there are many choices. As far as tubes are concerned, I have only heard my Scott 222D and another name I can't think of now...help me out guys, it's the one Bruce Edgar uses on his Horns...was it Cyrus Brennan?

Tom (Piranha) has an amp and preamp built by two forum members and everyone who has them has been raving about how good they sound. Those will be a bit more costly than a rebuilt Scott, though the Scotts are going up in price now as well...

For entry level into tubes I don't think you can go wrong with a rebuilt Scott 222, 233, or 299. I really liked my 299D when I had it. It sounded very nice on my Cornwalls. I am actually kind of sad that I ever sold it. At least it's just next door so I can still visit now and then.

A very nice and totally rebuilt Scott integrated can usually be had for less than $600-700 if you look around.

My VRD tube monos and JM-200 Peach Tri-Mode tube preamp cost in the neighborhood of $3500. Money well spent IMO.

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

I have the same vintage Klipschorns (1976). Like many 1976'ers here, we love them. They are special!

Just sent you a private message and email.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 1/27/2005 11:46:49 PM topfueltom wrote:

They never listened to them very seldom and never loud!!

----------------

What a waste! Good thing you've got them now, so that, after close to 30 years, they can be used as they were intended.

Don't get the impression that you have to jump right in and change things. The odds are you'll be happy with them just as they are.

Small world. I got my 1976 KCBRs from a millionare also.9.gif He had his professionaly re-veneered in dark mohogany. I waited about 2 months before making any changes. The most significant improvement (non-gear related) was the crossovers which DeanG on this forum built for me. The originals tend to drift out of spec after almost 30 years. Sometimes it's difficult to tell until you change them. Best to get used to the sound as they are now as everyone has already stated.

Thomas - welcome.

P-Tom - I may have a pair of '76's, oiled walnut, absolutely mint as the day they were made condition available by the end of the year ('05). Two weeks ago my father had a stroke and the outlook is bleak, my mom is not able to maintain their 10 acre spread up on the Olympic penninsula in WA and is urging me to start cleaning out the place for eventual sale. I guess I'm in denial still, hoping and praying for some sort of meaningful recovery. He awoke from a coma the other day with all mental faculties intact, but other than his right arm, nothing else works. He can whisper and speech is not impacted. Essentially a sharp mind trapped in a dead body. Very sad as he was very active (we celebrated his 73rd birthday the day he came out of the coma, yesterday was his and my mother's 50th anniversary). Klipschorns were a special bond for us.

In any event, sometime this year I have to go fetch them up, I have 2 pairs already, I don't need another (actually the wife probably will not stand for it anyway). I will keep you in mind when the time comes. Price will be 'significantly less than you will find anywhere else'.

Tom,

I noticed from the serial number that your horns were manufactured on a Monday morning. That is so serious. No wonder the previous owners didn't listen to them.

Since you are new, I can do you a favor and take them off of your hands. Pay my gas and they are out of there.

Welcome to the forum. I have a few S-detectors left. They cause spurious material to light up on your screen. After a week, you will know if you need one. Let me know.

Anyhow. Get ready for the time of your life!

DR BILL2.gif