Vehicle for transporting Khorns

triode

A buddy of mine is going to pick up a pair of Khorns that he scored. He has to rent a vehicle to haul them. What is the smallest vehicle type that a pair of Khorns would fit into. No pick-up trucks in case of rain.

Would a Minivan work with the seats down? A larger SUV? I'm sure some of you here have experience with this sort of thing.9.gif

Yes, a minivan will work. I have used a Pontiac Trans Sport SE and a Pontiac Montana Ext mini van to move pairs of Klipschorns. This was with the rear seats removed though.

Someone else on the forum has used a Ford Explorer. The top sections come off and so do the side grills to aid in being able to move them around.

Bring old blankets and some pillows.

I used a Toyota Sienna as did Fini. No problemo. Just take the top bins off as well as the grills (easily done since they use wing nuts) and bring lots of blankets. I went to ABC Rental and rented about 10 heavy-duty moving blankets for about $10. I didn't need them all but it was worth doing. The bass bins actually fit sideways in the van which made things much easier. I had room to spare.

Ditto on the minivan.

I picked up a pair in a rented Aerostar with seats removed, drove from Boston to Rochester (NY) and back in one day. 750 miles for $49.99 plus about as much for fuel.

Should have seen the look on the face of the rental agent when I returned the van and she saw the miles traveled 6.gif

Priceless 9.gif

I know this is WAY off topic and I aplogize if this is indeed "hijacking," but I'd like to share a car rental story. I knew a guy who competed in the annual "one lap of America"-- a car rally that LITERALLY runs the perimeter of the USA and the goal is to average 70 mph 24 hours per day. Anyway, he rented a Lincoln Town car and put over 6000 miles on it in a few days.

Again, sorry for the hijack.

I recently hauled mine home in a U-haul 4x8 trailer and yes, it rained the whole way.

That said, in hindsight I think they have a slightly bigger trailer and I would suggest that (if you go the trailer route). When we disassembled the speakers IN THE DARK, that trailer was darker than a cave at night so take a flashlight.

Anyways, with the speakers in 8 pieces (2 bass bins, 2 tophats and 4 sides) there wasn't enough room in the trailer to comfortably put all the parts so I had one tophat and 2 of the side skirts in the back seat of the 4-door Volvo.

I also rented like 50 of their blankets (yes, like 10 or 12 bundles) so I'd be able to cushion the bottom AND sides so they'd not slide around if I decided to try a couple of 360's in Walmarts parking lot 11.gif3.gif

Bottom line, trailer was $19/day as I recall and the tons of blankets was like $50 total.

I didn't need ANY tie down straps with the blankets on the bottom and sides. There were so many blankets in there I almost didn't have room enough for the speakers themselves.

Good luck with what ever you do

Richard

first thing first. remove the seats. i sold a set to a forum member who rented a suv, a gmc yukon who did not remove the second set of seats and it was a nightmare. after what seemed like hours, both tops and both bottoms and both fold up rear seats barely fit. i think that both seats were riding shotgun

I am in danger of getting a pair this weekend. 1.gif I've got an F250 with a 6 foot bed and a cap. Do you folks think the bass bins would fit in the bed front sides down and the tops and sides in the back seat? Actually, this should be quantitative. What are the dimensions of the bass bins?

----------------

On 1/28/2005 1:00:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I know this is WAY off topic and I aplogize if this is indeed "hijacking," but I'd like to share a car rental story. I knew a guy who competed in the annual "one lap of America"-- a car rally that LITERALLY runs the perimeter of the USA and the goal is to average 70 mph 24 hours per day. Anyway, he rented a Lincoln Town car and put over 6000 miles on it in a few days.

----------------

Wow, Allan, that's a gas ... literally 3.gif

I used to follow that race in Car & Driver, but lately the cops have lost their sense of humor.

It's a bit of a puzzle, but I've moved a pair in a Toyota 4Runner. Didn't think it could be done, but it actually worked and still had enough room for two people. You have to remove the top sections and side grills, but once that is done it's not too hard to fit in. If you need more information on how to do this, just ask.

Picture-171-small.jpg

I moved a pair of Khorns in a 5x8 U-Haul trailer. $20 bucks. Was planning to use the back of my F-150, but got the trailer because rain was a concern.

This trailer is of the height and size that I put the two Khorns in and didn't have to remove the HF or the side panels. The trailer rails are padded, but still covered the Khorns with blankets before securing them to the rails with rope. They can ride upright in this situation. Also, very little lifting is required because the floor of the trailer is close to the ground. Was able to unload them without help.

Only one word of caution, you need to make sure that your vehicle can pull the trailer. It's not a big trailer as trailers go, but many cars would not have a transmission heavy enough to pull a load like this.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 1:00:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

I hope he rented it from a place like Dollar or Thrifty with unlimited miles rather from Enterprise whose norm seems to be 150 miles per day. Otherwise the excess mileage must have eaten him alive.