Piano Black La Scala's

76scalas

Pics of one of the La Scala's I've been working on since Oct. All grain has been removed and raw edges are smooth. Wish I could take a pic that show how they really look. They are smooth as glass.I have thirty years paint experiance and this was not easy! The reflection on top is from the wall behind. They are 1984 LSBB.

post-12301-13819261461144_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those look sweet....I did think of an idea when i saw them,,,you could pull the mid and tweet horn out and put fabric over the mouth of the horn then re-install and try different colors of cloth maybe in contrast of the black would make them look cool...just a idea. But if you decide to go with stock grills you can make the trim using baseshoe moulding and order the grills from Klipsch they come with backer board and emblems ready to put on. Rick

Excellent I did an electric guitar body once in piano black. That isn't even close to what you did and that was one heck of a task. Filler and buff at the end and wet sanding and repeating was the killer. I thought I was done after the paint job. Man was I wrong. My uncle paints cars, and pretty much told me what to do.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 2:40:07 AM michael hurd wrote:

Sweet! Two gallons of primer? I hope that that was after catalyzation and reduction! What did you apply the surfacer with, a high pressure gun? With an hvlp, I can put out a lot of material with a lot less waste overspray.

----------------

That's two gallons before reduction and catalazation! Keep in mind 90% was sanded off. There is actually a lot of surface area on La Scala's. Wood is not level this means lots of block sanding. High gloss coatings require the surface to be perfectly level or you'll see every high/low spot. Sanding the surfacer inside the bass bin was a real challenge! Gun used was a Binks Mach 1 HVLP. 1.gif

A true work of art! My hat's off to you for your patience and skill.16.gif

Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship with us poor slobs who have no mechanical skills (referring only to myself and a few others here who wouldn't know which end of a sander to hold onto).6.gif