movies in commercial theaters?

ismail

does every movie in commercial theaters is released

with dts sound?

or some are released only in dolby digital?

becuase in dvd's some movies having only dolby digital

and some both dts + dolby

and how much the picture quality of dvd is equal to

the theateratical release of the movie.? equal or less?

any sample movies with best picture?

mine is autin power gold member

i think the picture quality is less in theaters. those dust specs annoy me.

and the sound, not sure about format but i sometimes question the quality. the last time i was at my local theater(its in a big mall and is not a bargain theater or similar so i thought they have decent equipment) there was a fuzzy/distorted sound that came at higher frequencys in the movie. from the left and right channel. the center ch was fine though. i was thinking maybe the mid range or hf driver were damaged or blown. something was definetly wrong though. and i bet not one other person noticed it. thats the way people are today, they could care less about quality or so it seems. sorry for my running post. not sure if its very relevant

scp53

The image quality in movie theaters is usually sub-par due to the projectors. My friend's $13k DLP projector in his dedicated home theater produces images that are noticeably better using 480p DVDs. On the other hand, some theaters have very good projectors and the image quality of DVDs obviously doesn't hold a candle to film.

Guest Anonymous

no they are not all dts, they are whatever that movie theater can capictate, all the theaters in my home town ca do dts, but in michigan where i often go for buisness i have taken my nephews you there and in the same movie theater there will be one cinema with dts and the other dd.... just my observations

I think all movies are produced in all three sound formats.

(Dolby Digital ,DTS, and Sony Dynamic Digital Sound)

It's up to the individual theaters as to which one they use.

Why then are digital sound choices not on the DVD's? Some due to

space limitations on the DVD and some due to the format not available

for encoding on DVD's (i.e. SDDS) and finally who knows why DTS is

not available on all DVD's.

Sound at my local theater is great (EAW's for the surrounds, and I am sure everything else), picture quality is usually good, but I am sure they could get it a little better focused sometimes. Overall, a 9/10 for this place. I will keep going back.

Nice thing is it is kinda far from my house (~8 miles) so I feel like I am 'getting out', but it isn't a long trip to get there.

Hey guys, the "quality" of all film releaes is far in excess of dvd (film has a higher than HDTV effective resolution, and a much larger dynamic range for better color reproduction). That being said, smaller markets tend to have poor projectors, and any film strip that is used (especially in second run markets) will degrade far from its original quality. So the subjective viewing experience of well worn film, or a smaller film format (e.g. 35mm) shown on a cruddy projetor with bad optics will not look as pleasing as a spotless dvd transfer. On the other hand, remember that even the largest home screens and projectors rarely get much bigger than 6 feet, while commercial theaters usually have a minimum 25' screen size, and many have screens much bigger than that. If you tried to stretch the puny 720 horizontal pixels (per line) of dvd across 25 feet, I assure you it would look like she-ite.

But in real life it usually only has to cover 2-4 feet of screen with, so when HD resolution DVDs become available, commercial theaters are going ot have to upgrade their projection and sound systems if they are gong to want to keep on providing an experience we can't get at home.

Scott

I would agree that the picture quality of the theaters near me beat DVD hands down, and its a much larger screen. When the "Hi Def" DVD technology finally comes out in wide release is when I would be willing to go with front projection system.

I believe that DTS and SDDS tracks (for SDDS only available from the studios owned by Sony) are on selected films only. Basically when the producers paid for the extra sound production work, which is why I think most DTS soundtracks sound better then DD. DD or D pro logic is actually stored on the film itself so its always the back up for theaters that don't support the other technologies. I believe with DTS, its actually a seperate CD like disc that provides the sound that is synced up to the projector, this from my days of reading Wide Screen review so I could be wrong. Not sure how the SDDS track is stored would assume the same way. Check out www.DTS.com to see the commercial equipment. They also have the catalog of DTS music only CDs.

----------------

On 1/31/2005 7:23:22 PM jacksonbart wrote:

I believe with DTS, its actually a seperate CD like disc that provides the sound that is synced up to the projector, this from my days of reading Wide Screen review so I could be wrong. Not sure how the SDDS track is stored would assume the same way.

----------------

From what I saw on our tour of that movie theater in Indy this past summer during the "Klipsch Pilgrimage", yes, the DTS is stored on a seperate CD-ROM type disk. I don't remember how SDDS was done, though.

As to comparisons between the quality of the home systems vs commercial movies. The movie theater that is maybe three blocks from my house (a 15-screen multi-plex) is pretty decent, although I've had friends tell me watching movies on my system was a better experience. However, the movie theater in Harrisonburg, over near the ski area where I ski patrol at, is actually quite nice. They even have Klipsch equipment there (whereas the one near my house has JBL gear)!

I agree, in a good theater with good equipment, the quality should be better than that of even high-end home theater systems. Unfortunatly, not all movie theaters are created equal (but than again, not all home theater systems are created equal either).

Back to the people not noticing good sound thing. My wife and I went to see the Grudge (the last movie we saw at my local theater), and the whole right side wall of speakers sounded totally blown. I bet some young teens working there wanted to see how loud it would play, and blew them. But she didn't notice until I pointed it out to her. I didn't say anything to the manager or anything; they probably wouldn't have notice anyway.

My brother-in-law is redoing an old Theater in his hometown. i've been helping out and have learned some things. I found out that a lot of the time if you go to the newest theater or most recently remodeled or upgraded equipment, you'll have the best experience, because the projectors are new, the optics are clean, speakers calibrated, a staff that usually has some expience running the shows, clean seats and floors.

Also Films are supposed to be the better quality, but do to age, and mostly the help and management trying to save money, quality goes down at theaters. And then you get that dust specks. It's sad when you go to see a new release and it's only the second running that day and it is at a 7 year old theater that you see the specks and dots. So, go only to the newest theater in your area to get the best.

I did manage to snag some seats from him though and I got the platform built to put them on. Can't wait to set my room up.

Reminds me to ask what choice of Video I should use, better start a new thread.