JBL vs. Klipsch!!

tommyboy

----------------

On 2/2/2005 12:20:50 AM Scp53 wrote:

and can anyone tell me what jbl pro is like compared to klipsch pro, ev pro and other pro speaker brands. are jbl better for the money? worse?? the speakers these guys were using cost 1500 per pa cab(asked the tech person). so theres 4 and that be 6g's in speakers plus the subs. there must be a lot of markup

scp53

----------------

jbl, klipsch, and ev pro are all very similar in terms of cost vs performance....

IMHO....ev offers better models in the lower price ranges compared to jbl... (like portable stage speakers)... i didn't sell klipsch pro when i was selling pro audio so i can't comment on the klipsch pro line...

once you get into the the high end pro stuff... all the brands you listed are great...

I bought a used pair of JBL L 46's from a friend in 1982 that were with me until 1995. At that time I retired the JBL's for Klipsch KG's which I still have in one room of my home. I can tell you that the JBL's of that era were so warm and had such a wonderful sound that you could not convince me to try any other speakers. Eventually a friend let me listen to his Klipsch system and the addiction began. I do understand that the JBL's are not quite what they used to be, I guess I will always have a soft spot for the old JBL's. Now, I have moved on to the RF 7's and I can only hope they last me as long as the JBL's did and bring me the same level of enjoyment.

My JBL 4311s (pro brother of the L100) are still amazingly good, even though I bought them in the early '70s. I haven't heard any of hteir newer stuff. As Griffinator mentioned, the Heresys pretty much only beat them in efficiency. The JBLs go lower as well, but that is a little different story.

It's hard to hear any of these things in a BB and know what they sound like. I bought mine from a studio owner (new), and he borrowed them back once because a band was not familiar with the giant EV monitors he had. I don't even recall renting them, just loaning them to him. It was Styx. I don't even like Styx.

I've made mixes on the JBLs that have sounded good on almost anything else I've played them back on.

Marvel

My buddy and I years ago took our La scala's and stacked them on top of each other. We had a stack on each side of the stage at a party we were haveing because the dude that had the PA for the band broke down. We ended up using 4 100 watt marshall amps to drive them. I will say I have never heard my scalas sound so amazing. I can tell you the kick drum and bass were awesome. when the guy with the PA finally showed up he said he had never heard of klipsch but loved the sound. When I told him they are my stereo speakers he looked at me as if I were nuts. I told him no truely they sit right in those corners all the time. He couldn't believe that my home speakers were outperforming his system, and with 4 marshall amps driving them. If you have never listened to a pair of stacked La Scala's then if you have truely missed some hair raising excitement.

scooter

• Like 1

----------------

On 2/5/2005 12:54:29 AM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

My buddy and I years ago took our La scala's and stacked them on top of each other. We had a stack on each side of the stage at a party we were haveing because the dude that had the PA for the band broke down. We ended up using 4 100 watt marshall amps to drive them. I will say I have never heard my scalas sound so amazing. I can tell you the kick drum and bass were awesome. when the guy with the PA finally showed up he said he had never heard of klipsch but loved the sound. When I told him they are my stereo speakers he looked at me as if I were nuts. I told him no truely they sit right in those corners all the time. He couldn't believe that my home speakers were outperforming his system, and with 4 marshall amps driving them. If you have never listened to a pair of stacked La Scala's then if you have truely missed some hair raising excitement.

scooter
----------------

LOL.

When I listen to my Chorus II's, I have no doubt they would be very comforatable in a, shall we say, 'larger venue' 2.gif

This is why I am always interested in using pro parts for DIY home speakers. Expensive, yes, but use the good stuff and it could get interesting.

• 16 years later...
On 2/4/2005 at 12:20 PM, Northshore said:

I bought a used pair of JBL L 46's from a friend in 1982 that were with me until 1995. At that time I retired the JBL's for Klipsch KG's which I still have in one room of my home. I can tell you that the JBL's of that era were so warm and had such a wonderful sound that you could not convince me to try any other speakers. Eventually a friend let me listen to his Klipsch system and the addiction began. I do understand that the JBL's are not quite what they used to be, I guess I will always have a soft spot for the old JBL's. Now, I have moved on to the RF 7's and I can only hope they last me as long as the JBL's did and bring me the same level of enjoyment.

Agreed....Klipsch KG4 series hard to beat if you have the room...but for smaller applications, the JBL.  46.  work well

LOL,  zombie thread alert .........I gotta admit, I enjoyed seeing some of those old names from some great members of yesteryear! Were they banned or just left as the forum was becoming something less than it was previously, great that is...JBL, yeah...they made a few great speakers. Their HT offerings comparing to KLIPSCH offerings of that era were way off. I actually bought a pair if Northridge (or something) dual 10's and they were not even in the same league as my rf5's of that time. I requested my money back, which he did oblige and that was the end of my JBL adventure.

• Like 2

JBL Pro vs Klipsch Pro ... YES; either one, but much better than "home" speakers.

Have KPT-904's ( dual 15" woofers) with K-510 horns and they are awesome.  My neighbor has JBL 4722N speakers (also dual 15", but slightly larger horn; almost K-402 size). If I were blindfolded, I could NOT tell them apart :)  Difference with "home" speakers is the large woofers, bur REAL difference is the 3 to 4 inch horn drivers - much much better than the 1 inch drivers used on "home" stuff. :) 

Just now, Emile said:

Yes ... pretty much identical :) 

One Horn is 5 times the size of the other (1.5" exit though) .   I'm surprised the results are identical to your ears.  I have the JBL's about 15 feet apart tweeter to tweeter and the Soundstage is enormous.   If I had more room, I'm sure they would do fine pulled a good bit further apart as well.  Bass is very satisfying without subs and the balance is just right with no eq.   Highs are crisp and detailed, but quite smooth and perhaps a little laid back even at times unless the volume is spun to the right a bit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm surprised the results are identical to your ears

Haha; just a little biased to "my" Klipsch system. In all honesty; yes, the larger JBL horns are better :) 

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha; just a little biased to "my" Klipsch system. In all honesty; yes, the larger JBL horns are better :) 

I should have kept a pair of those Quad 15" klipsch with 402 horns. That would blow away what I have now. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  I also didn't know I'd be moving into a larger house that could accommodate such a setup. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I should have kept a pair of those Quad 15" klipsch with 402 horns. That would blow away what I have now. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  I also didn't know I'd be moving into a larger house that could accommodate such a setup. 

Talk to DaveA and you can have it all again.