Componet Video Connections

JoeTav

I have a Toshiba 2200 DVD, Pioneer VSX36 A/V

Reciever and Toshiba AV40 TV. My question, in setting up Home theater concerning the componet vidoe connections, assuming I want everything running thru my receiver, do I connect the componet video connections from my DVD player to my TV or From my DVD player to my A/V Receiver. I am a little confused.

Joe, I also have the 2200. The only reason you would send the component video signal through a receiver would be for switching. For example, you have two sorces with component video and your monitor only has one component video input. What you should do is connect the component video cables directly from the 2200 to your monitor. The picture is rather impressive. I have a 36" Toshiba with component video and it is fantastic. I did find that it was a better decision to buy two pairs of audio connects rather than the "component video cables". I was able to get four Monster 400 mkII interconects for the same price as their Video 2 component cables. It was $39.99 a pair for the mkII 400's and $79.99 for the component. The mkII are better cables, plus the component cables are attached to each other. That was a year ago and it was hard to find component cables at that time. Prices may be different now. While these are not the most expensive cables they seem to work just fine for my tastes. They almost seem expensive if you compare them to the $260 I paid for the 2200. Through in a Monster optical cable at $80.00 and I have $160 in cable for a $260 component. That is scary.

Happy listening (and viewing)!!

JT

One thing I forgot to mention was, if you plan on running the component video through your receiver keep in mind that ONLY component signals that come into the receiver can go out through the component signal to the monitor. In other word if you send a s-video signal to your receiver from your satalite you then need a s-video or composite (not component) cable to be connected to the monitor as well. Again, ONLY incoming component signals can be sent out of the receiver's component outs. I am sorry for over stating this if you already knew this. There maybe some high end pre-amps out there that can upgrade s-video to component, but I have yet to see any.

JT

Jt,

Thanks for the input, I am rather green at this HT thing. So I understand what you are saying, pick up two pair of MK II interconnects and connect them from the DVD componet video to the TV Componet video. what about the extra plug? I will run the DVD to the TV as far as Componet video connections go. I also could use some help on the subwoofer connection, although I know this could be very subjective. I have the Velo CT-120 connected to the receiver sub out. Sub set to on on receiver. My speakers, the RCW-5 as fronts and the RCR-5 ceiling mounts as rears, SC-1 are all connected to the receiver, the pioneer receiver apparently filters the bass out. I have my receiver bass magmt setting at 25. Should I try to wire the fronts to the sub? in your opinion.... Appreciate it..

Joe

Joe, I used the extra wire from the interconnects for my on-screen display from receiver to the TV. The great thing about these interconnects is, they are not in attached pairs, each channel is a seperate wire.

Does the receiver have a size setting for the speakers or maybe a crossover point for the bass? If it does set the speaker sizes all around to "small". You may want to test wiring through the sub to see what it sounds like. I have never messed around with in-wall speakers. The best advice when it comes to the age old sub wiring question is to go with what sounds better to you. Obviously if there is no difference then you should use the sub out as you are now. This BB is full of wiring questions, answers, and debates. Another lengthy debate is the decision to use coax or optical for the audio. I am using optical, but it is only because I think the concept is really cool. It is much more delicate than coax, if an optical cable gets a little kink it could be shot.

Good luck!! Let us know how it comes out.

JT

JT

Thanks for the reply, The interconnects are a good idea, I picked some up yesterday and hooked everything up. Everything seems to work ok, we will start with that, I am happy,

I had my front speakers set to large and the rest to small, sounded good but I want to experience some more movies and recordings to actually say I can hear the differnce. You were a big help I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I don't know if you have a VCR hooked up to your system, but if you do is it hooked up to the TV or to the Receiver, right now I have it hooked up to the TV, when I put a tape in it starts to play automatically, which is fine , I was just wondering about putting it thru the Receiver, because the Receiver has a VCR setting on it, would it matter, I would guess not in video but maybe in audio ??

What do you think.

Joe

Joe, I have my receiver hooked up different than I normally would because of my wife. Although I have a remote with a one touch set up, my wife still can not opperate the system to replay VHS videos. She is a teacher in group study off campus Master's program. She needs to watch about 3 to 4 hours of video per week. What I have done is hooked my VCR up through the conventional cable coax connection and also through my receiver. She can turn the TV to channel 3 and push play or she can set the TV to Video 2 and use the receiver along with the VCR. She always chooses the channnel 3 option. Back to your point, I would choose to run the VHS movies I watch, through my receiver. In fact, the set up I had before I was married did not ever use the TV's speakers. I had them permanently turned off. I would only suggest this option if you currently use an on screen display from your receiver. I do not know if your receiver has an on screen display.

In summary, I would run the video directly to the TV if I did not have an on screen display from the receiver. I would run the audio cables from the VCR to the receiver for audio. If you are into watching VHS tapes in normal playback mode I would also attach the cable or coax to the VCR.

I know this is a bit confusing, so if you have further questions on this let me know and I will try to explain in further detail. I apologize for the lack of clear direction, but this is a debatable topic. Feel free to contact me.

Good luck and happy listening!!

JT

Joe, I think I need to be a little bit more clear as to why the on-screen display is an issure for me. My new tv has six video options (tv or coax, video 1 through 4 and color stream component video). My old tv had just normal and auxilary video. I had to use my receiver for video switching or I would only be able to use one sorce. I think it is easier to use the receiver for video switching rather than the tv. Also, I can use my on-screen display to tweak the surround settings while I am watching a VHS tape without having to change the tv setting. I cannot do this with a DVD because of the component video.

I hope this gives you an idea of how to set your system up. It seems like I have spent a little too much of your time on a rather insignificant subject.

Happy listening and enjoy!!

JT

Jt

Thanks, nothing is insignificant, sometimes we communicate to each other and in explaining our point it leads us to other reasons or issues of how we arrive there, which is fine I am the same way and it also gives the bb a little color or creativity. My Tv has two inputs plus the color stream and one output. my reciever has a bunch of both and also has on-screen display. Your most recent addition to your explanation about the on-screen display, which you might use for adjustments, makes more sense to me as to why you use the on-screen display, and I will give this a try. The more time I spend on these bb the more educated I become thanks to guys like you. It sure beats the hell out of some of the guys at the hifi shops espcially since I purchased all my equipment by mail order. I pick up some DVD's for the weekend and anxious to give the system a work out. Keep you posted.

Thanks,

Joe