RSW-12 VS. RW-12

bkcleve

I read all the specs and can see the difference between the two. What are the performance differences between the two and roughly how much more will I expect to pay for the RSW-12? Will be using it more for music than theater but don't want to be dissapointed when I throw in a DVD. Thanks for all of your opinions!

i think the hugest diff from my demoing of them is more spl and a little more depth with the rsw12. musically i think there very similar. the rw12(msrp 650) can probably be had for 500-600 from a authorized dealer and the rsw12(msrp 1400) 1100-1200 or so from an authorized dealer. id get the rsw if you have the cash.

scp53

Well, of COURSE.

You can apply this logic to practically anything... Why be a loser and own a Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet when for only twice as much you can have a Ferrari F360 Spyder??

At some point the performance for the dollar equation has to be considered, and in this context the RW12 beats the RSW12 hands down. Yes, the RSW12 has a nicer finish, more power, and overall is a better sub... But what is the opportunity cost of that additional $500-$600?

Not all of us can afford over a grand for a sub... Somwhere a line has to be drawn. That is why (for instance) I own a Mazda6 S instead of a BMW 540i.

Thanks all for the input and advice. I am on a buget of sorts and want to get the biggest bang for the buck. My listening area is approx. 14 x 14 and it is within a room that is approx. 32 x 24. I also forgot to mention that I want to put it into a cabinet that I am currently building and have read the front firing sub is what a person wants in that application. Have not bought any of the equipment yet since I am in the process of finishing my basement. Will be dropping a lot of cash for everything and have already spent a lot on the construction costs. I am doing most of the work myself to save a bunch of $$ as I am in the construction biz. If anybody has opinions on equip. pass it on. DLP vs. LCD. Going A/V receiver vs. separates because of the money and will probably get the RF-35 system thats when I noticed the sub difference RSW-12 vs. RW-12. I was going to buy some used Klipsches for a bargain but like the idea of having a warrantee. Got a price of $2250 for the system, does that seem like a good price or should I try to get it lower? Thinking about a Denon receiver since most of you seem to like that with Klipsch. Any and all advice and opinions are apprciated.

I've got the RW-12, because I didn't have 1 000 $ either to spend it on a sub, and I like it a lot, it's truly a nice sub. It does sing if you want or really rumble the room...

If I was you ,I would get an Harman Kardon receiver, they are almost the only ones to have true specs about wattage. Clean and wonderful power. ;)

They are also the nicest looking...eheh

i agree. klipsch does not offer the biggest bang for the buck in this area(especially compared to svs or hsu). if i were you, id get the titanic mk3 15" sub kit from partsexpress.com. very well built and beats ANY commercial unit for the money. i have the 10" kit and it rocks. tight and musical and not boomy. the titanic 15" is comparable to the klipsch rsw15 from what ive been told. the titanic also has a 5yr warrenty on driver and 1 or 2year on the amp. the kit cost 688 and has free shipping. it takes about an hour to make. hopefully other owners of titanics will chip in

the next best thing would be an svs sub if you dont want to build a kit(since you contruct houses already i dont think that be a problem).

scp53

Well... here's the deal. If you can swing an RSW-12, I'd say go for it - I hear nothing but good things about it. I've listened to it on a couple of occasions and it's a very clean sounding sub.

On the other hand, if you just don't have the money for an RSW, consider the Dayton Titanic 15" Kit. For $700 it's an amazing subwoofer. You can find my very detailed review of this kit in the subwoofer section of this forum, but in the meantime, take a look at this pic of the Titanic next to my RF-3II.

subandrf3.jpg

Review:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59175

----------------

On 2/4/2005 5:27:58 PM Scp53 wrote:

meuge, that looks VERY NICE!!! wow. i have to ask, have you gotten into any trouble with that sub? what do your friends, family, etc think of it?

----------------

Actually I've managed to stay out of trouble somehow. I think it's because I live in student housing and our walls are concrete, not paper. Actually, there is 35+dB attenuation across the walls (measured). The door, however, is not nearly that good, so if my music is turned up loud, I can usually hear my bass (quietly thumping) from the end of the hall, which is around 50 feet away.

Last time my parents came over they thought I was crazy, but my mom, who's a classically trained musician, really liked the sound. My friends all love it. Currently, one of my friends, who's almost finished putting together a $$$ HT system consisting of top-of-the like $13k projector, top Arcam electronics, etc... is using System Audio speakers as loaners until his custom speakers arrive sometime this month. And I have to say for music, his system doesn't hold a candle to mine, at least thus far. He's also using a 15" sealed sub, don't remember which company, and I've compared them -> that one has a little more extension by the virtue of being larger, but the Titanic has more impact and is just as articulate with detail (and that's in my nasty room).