Cornwall I or II ?

alex336

jeff, that's wild. i wondered how to read those #s specifically 2. it looks like they made the change in between ours, though 489th day of '84 for yours doesn't seem to jive???.

so if the true II started in '84, wonder what the 1st ser# on that was?

so i guess if metal i have the k-55 like u said (funny though klipsch shows k-52 for midrange driver for cornwall on their parts list - something wrong there).

i give up. is there a book for like the history of klipsch? my corn I sound great though!

JCturboT:

Man, you got me on those serial numbers! Klipsch has been famous for changing their serial number system. I bet Trey Cannon at Klipsch can figure it out. He's been working on a system for the different serial number variants for awhile now.

I bought my Cornwall II's used but, you couldn't tell it by looking at them. Not a scratch or dent. Aren't they great?

Tony

Boa12,

I would say the Cornwall model II (newer model II) started life around mid 1986 based on everthing I been digging up lately.My 1984 models,although having the K57K plastic squaker from the IIs, have the drivers all mounted from the INSIDE whereas the Cornwall II were OUTSIDE mounted.Upon further inspection I also have the original crossover (B3) mounted on the left side of the cabinet-viewed from the rear- not the model IIs which have theirs mounted on the back panel and is quite a bit smaller than the Is.

A question to the later(post 85)Cornwall II owners (Marty65-Tony Reed)

With the drivers coming out from the front of the cabinet does the back panel still come off?Mine has 12 screws holding it together with the speaker.It appears from the Belgian audio web page that it doesn't and it appears to be particle board or something other than wood.

I agree with Tony...they do sound great!

Jeff

I bought the black grilles from a helpful lady years ago, mine have horiztenal horns, metal, now wrapped in gray window putty, the yellow paper label says they are CWO type and the serial numbers on the right channel are 32x958, the left is 32x957 and it was inspected by Teri Glass, I think it lies somewhere between the I and the IIs ...

My 1989 Cornwall II's backs do not come off and they are made of 7 ply plywood along with the rest of the cabinet. The crossover is a circuit board which is screwed to the back speaker connections. The rear speaker connections terminal is rectangular in shape and is screwed to the back board with six screws. I have the entire speaker taken apart so if anyone wants any other info let me know. Dan

on the florida cornwall on ebay that black grille cloth looks just like that I got from klipsch last spring, so it definitely looks like a recover job.

i always thought the "official" cornwall II debuted in '86. but read a bobg post somehwere on here that said somewhere around '84. maybe he was just approximating or thinking of when they started using the plastic driver on the I.

My '83 Cornwall I's are in oiled walnut with light tan woven grill cloth. The wood is magnificent! From time to time I've used Scott's Liquid Gold, which they seem to drink up, and then just GLOW for months. I never do any other cleaning other than dusting them. The grill covers are now bowed from age and/or moisture, and I'm having a tough time getting the Velcro to stick along the top edge. Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? BTW, I love these speakers, and have no plans to ever, ever part with them. Hmm...I bet fresh black grill cloths would look pretty good...still, I think I'll stay "stock." God, what awesome speakers...

yea the velcro tabs on the grills would stay stuck to the receptors & pull off when I removed the grills at times (to admire those lovely drivers smile.gif super glue did the trick for awhile, but the cloth started pulling loose & got somewhat raggy. got them recovered in that newer mesh black from klipsch by a local framing shop for $100.

refinished the cabinets in cherry for $150. like the look a lot. like the look of black grilles w/ brown/tan wood too.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Guys,

I took Tony Reeds advice and e-mailed Trey Cannon on the production date of my speakers(Thanks again Trey!)and it seems they were made the 48th week of 1984-ahh,remember it well...senior year of high school...hot girlfriend by my side...thoughts of actually making a difference in this world...but,I digress.In Trey words "thats the time the speaker was going through some changes,it sounds like you have what could be callled a Cornwall 1 1/2" I like that...Cornwall 1 1/2,I gonna use that term when I'm talking about my speakers and really confuse those who didn't read this post!Oh well,gotta go,I think I hear Vh-1 doing an '80s flashback..."those were the days"

so jc, then were yours the 901st & 902nd made that week? biggrin.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

• 4 weeks later...

My Cornwall II is labeled such. I purchased it in late 1971 or early 1972 (I didn't keep good records at age 18.) It has serial# 2K392. I think I read K-DB-15 as the model. It may have been OB, but they are black.

Oh yes. I loved it as a pair when I shared it with a friend. He took his and matched it with another, while I matched mine with a pair of LaScalas (eventually.) Sound heaven in a large room.

pete

• 2 months later...

Hi all you fellow Cornwall lovers ...

I'm trying to drum up some additional business for Al Klappenberger so he can start making his new Cornwall I crossovers ... Reports are that they sound fabulous, and there are a few of us on his list. We just need a few more.

Check the thread in "Updating Older Speakers".

Thanks guys ...

Chris

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub