Tractrix squawker horn for the Belle and Khorn

Tom,

Well.. I am happy to have the CNC machine option behind me. The local outfit I paid to make the top and bottom plates simply couldn't do it! I wound up haveing them make a pile of my "Universal type A" network boards with the money I gave them. Bill Martinelli is taking care of all the details. He was firmiliar with the Bruce Edgar style of horn this one is and was able to make it perfectly on the very first try to spite all the complex angles. The templates I used to build my prototype horn all fit like a glove! I am not sure how he is making the parts and I'm happy to let him do it!

Al K.

Al,

" He's already figured out an easier way to make it compatable with both JBL and Altec drivers without adaptors."

Without giving away too many of Bill's secrets can you give some hints to how he has achieved this. I have a plan (no, make that a dream)to build the Trahorn for the Kdriver but change to a TAD2001 at some later stage. Doable?

I hope ya venture is successful. I am still enjoying the ALK crossover (self build--but thank you) but do swap back and forth with my Type A. best wishes, tim

----------------

On 4/7/2005 12:15:35 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Guys,

Here the Trachorn mounted in the replacement frame for the Belle. Rear view shows my JBL 2426h and Beyma CP25 tweeter.

Al K.

----------------

Al,

What are your thoughts on the following comparisons of drivers:

Tweeter: Beyma CP-25 VS. JBL 2404 Baby Cheek

Midrange: Altec 902B (new version from Great Plains) vs. JBL 2426H

Are the JBL's worth the extra $$?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

The JBL tweeter is a fine tweeter. The question is if it's worth the money! The answer is that I really don't know! I like the CP25. It's a lot better then the K77.

The altec 902 is also very good, but it's a bit of a waste as just a squawker. It's best in a 2-way system. It also shouldn't be used down to 400 Hz in the Khorn. It won't take much power especially that low in frequency. I think it's best used in a 2-way Belle or LaScala crossed over at 600 or 700 Hz.

Al K.

----------------

On 4/8/2005 11:30:50 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

The altec 902 is also very good, but it's a bit of a waste as just a squawker. It's best in a 2-way system. It also shouldn't be used down to 400 Hz in the Khorn. It won't take much power especially that low in frequency. I think it's best used in a 2-way Belle or LaScala crossed over at 600 or 700 Hz.

----------------

How about the TAD 2001? Isn't 400 Hz too low for it as

well?

Steve.

Al,

"It's best in a 2-way system. It also shouldn't be used down to 400 Hz in the Khorn. It won't take much power especially that low in frequency."

I ran my 902s with your type A crossover until I got the ES600Ts and they never complained. Altec used them down to 500hz with second order crossovers.

I'd think a two way on a K'Horn using your ES450 would be fine with the 902.

Shawn

Guys,

Remember that the driver must be a 1 inch throat and have the mounting bolt pattern identical to Altec 902, JBL 242x or the K55 screw-on drivers to fit the "stock" trachorn. I don't think the Altec 288 or 290 will fit. I'm not sure though. The main parameter is the 1 inch throat diameter. Other mounting flanges could be made to fit other bolt patterns so long as the throat is 1 inch diameter.

AL K.

Al,

One clarification on the measurements. Please look at the image below and look at the extention of the height 8 3/16. I added to your red line. Was this your intention that the total height of the cutout would be 8 3/16?

jc

Trachornrealmeasurements1.jpg

post-16499-13819261650394_thumb.jpg

Jordan,

I have had it running for a day or two, but I am not going to make any judgments until I have all three speakers converted and have set up the entire system for the new horns. Right now I have things equalized for the Altecs. To draw any conclusions now would not be fair. I expect to have the other two speakers converted to the Trachorn in less than two weeks. Hang in there!

Al K.