Which receiver would you choose???

soulman

I'm think hard about getting the HK 635 with the room EQ for my RF7, RC7, RS7. Sounds like power will be OK, and HK seems to match well with Klipsch. My other thinking is the Pioneer Elite 54TXI? Any of the Pioneer models around $1000 would be an option. I've pretty much ruled dout Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha.

I can drive to onecall.com, within 10 miles from my home, so the HK would be easy to get. I may spend more to get the HK 7300, but I'm not sure if this is necessary, as Klipsch speakers are so efficient. BTW- Im upgrading a Integra 6.2 receiver. All opinions are very welcome, thanks!

You're in a similar position as me. I also have an Integra 6.2 w/Klipsch References all around. I'm also going to upgrade soon. But unlike you I'm going to buy a separate amp. I'm looking for a multi-channel amp. I'll use the 6.2 as a front end.

I'm looking at Parasound. Maybe Aragon or B&K. I decided to upgrade today.

I have thought about the B&K 507, but it retails for $3000. I could get a 505 for around $2500 at the local Magnolia. Is B&K recievers "worth" this much, as compared to reasonably priced HK? Also, Onecall sells Adcom separates, I have given this some consideration too, so I would be willing to "overspend" on these. Thanks!

Scott

1.gif

Get an Arcam avr300. I know I've said this in another thread now, but it sounds fantastic, it'll challenge a lot of seperates for stereo music, and it's surround sound is excellent. $2,000. Or get the AVR250 for a bit less (like $1,600), since Klipsch speakers don't need so much power.

Scott

Guest Anonymous

seprates! but otherwise I would go with the 630 and buy a nice 2 ch amp for your fronts to go with it instead of the 7300, but anyways good luck

Guest Anonymous

jandr.com is an authorized dealer of hk and sells for super cheap that is a great buy right there! and i personally do not like the marantz ht recievers, although they are 3rd generation now and my expierence is only with the first, they had a ton of problems with dacs burning out and optical inputs having problems and what not.

The more you think about this, but more confusing it gets. There are a lot of fine choices out there and chances are 1 will sound best to you. If you can it's always best to demo units before you make the buy.

There's a lot of debate about high-end receivers vs. separates. I will only say what I personally found. I went from the Yamaha DSP-A1 (which was Yamaha's flagship integrated amp a few years back) to the Rotel separates. The difference was extreme - much more than I had hoped for. The Yami didn't sound bad at all - the Rotel separates are just much better. Limited experience no question, but that's what most of us on the forum can offer. I hope you can listen to several options before you buy. Nothing is worse than buyers remorse when you've spent big money.

i think Gramas701 has a good idea, buy the HK 635 for now to try out, then maybe use it to run the center RC7 and RS7, and buy a high quality 2 channel music amp using the main "preouts" on the HK635 to run the RF7's. Thanks, its rather obvious too, but I missed this idea.

Flip side is that the HK7300 is $13xx form onecall.com, only about $500 more for the HK flagship. This idea makes sense too.

I like to be able to physically pick up my electronics form a local store, and try them out, returning them if they "dont sound good". Therefore, I'm probably stuck with Magnolia and Onecall.com. Onecall.com does sell Marantz BTW.

Are there any online audi dealers, that are reputable, and have a good return policy? Jandr.com was mentioned. Might have to find a dealer that sells NAD.

Thanks everyone!!!3.gif

Scott

Guest Anonymous

adcom's pre-amps have been rated pretty dismal for the price but their amps were rated huge, adn that 500 bucks you would spend on hk's flagship will sound good but a 2 ch amp will sound better with a 630, i really would check out janr.com you will find the ebst deal and i think magnolia charges restocking fees and wht not but good luck

Guest Anonymous

i just thought about this but NAD has a really nice processor that would go well with their seprate amp and i would reccomend that over the adcom processor, but the adcom amps may be a tad nicer

"adcom's pre-amps have been rated pretty dismal for the price but their amps were rated huge, adn that 500 bucks you would spend on hk's flagship will sound good but a 2 ch amp will sound better with a 630, i really would check out janr.com you will find the ebst deal and i think magnolia charges restocking fees and wht not but good luck"

6.gif You may want to edit this post, lol...seeing how I just went to the mentioned site and well.....let's just say it ain't audio stuff there, lol....6.gif I think I figured it out, there is a "d" missing in your site reference....should have been www.jandr.com or that takes you on to www.jr.com9.gif

I didn't follow anyones advice and went and purchased a Pioneer Elite 56TXI for $999 at Magnolia (demo unit, but fully warranteed). I know I probably should have went separates, ( they had B&K for $3500 for demos), but I'm pretty happy with the Elite right now. It's much more powerful than the Integra 6.2,and has all the tech goodies on it like accoustic EQ, which in my room works wonders. It has some flaws, like setting all of the 7's on Large, Subs volume too low, etc., but overall works really gtood. The Motorola DSP's sound very good to me. I haven't had any clipping problems yet, or shut off protection problems at high volumes, but I have set my crossover at 50 Hz, and set all speakers to small, so maybe this is why. Might set it to 80 later. The Elite doesn't do a good job of powering the Rf7 at full range, causing sloppy bass and a general "edginess" on the horns, but use the crossover, and the sound is hugely improved. Bass on the Rf7 stiffens, and the horns sound less "strained" Might use the 56TXI as a pre/pro in the future, sound like this would be a good idea? Another question: Should I biamp the RF7's with the Elite, as I'm running only a 5.1 setup? Any advantage to this, or would I just strain my amp/power supply even further? ALL this info is just my opinion of course and relative to my "tin ears".

Thanks to everyone who replied! I sure enjoy reading most of the posts on this board.1.gif

Scott