Piece-mail update from -35 to -5 series?

ottscay

Hey all. I just got my new reciever, and I'm trying to plan my next steps. I currently have an rf-35 5.1 surround system, but with Neo:6 and Dolby PLIIX DSP 7.1 surround is finally getting somewhere I'm interested in. So I plan to sell my two rs-35s and get four rb-35s for the rears.

I'm cool with that decision, and it'll let me enjoy surround music much more since the rb's are fuller range speakers than the rs, and I won't be scarificing movie surround with four of the bad boys and Dolby PLIIX. What I am concerned about is when I upgrade to an rf-5 or rf-7 based system. I figure I need to get an rc-7 first and foremost, and then probably upgrade the floorstanders (probably to rf-5s; the 7s are still a bit out of my price range). Will the rb-35's still sound ok with the bigger floorstanders? It'll be some time before I could afford to replace them with rb-75s.

That's it, I just want to know if it'll throw off my system timbre if I mix and match -35, -5, and -7 speakers? Thanks!

Scott

IMHO timbre difference between 35 and 5 would be minimal. 5's have a few differences you should know about. First of all, you'd be buying used, so might get a deal, they were made in REAL WOOD VENEERS (a plus), had the cheesy 'pin' type grilles that hang out (possibly a minus), and the port is on the rear (possibly a minus). I believe I've heard more than a couple of members prefer the 5's over the 35's but can't articulate why.

The RC7 absolutely rocks, don't think there was ever a RC5 exact match to RB5 ever made. WIth a 6.1 or 7.1 my vote would be definitely to use RB, not RS. Others will disagree of course.

Michael

I have just upgraded to the RF-7's and RC-7. What a difference in sound. I listened to the RF-35, 5 & 7 before I decided. I thought that the difference between RF-35 and RF-5 was minimal compared to the difference between the RF-5 and RF-7. So if I were you, I would buy the RC-7 now and wait until you can afford the RF-7.

Hey guys, I really appreciate that! I've heard the rf-7s, and love them, but my local UE doesn't stock the rf-5s, they have to special order them. I'd assumed that the rf-5's split the difference in terms of sound quality between the -35s and the -7s, but it appears that isn't the case, so I will save up for the 7s. Back to my original question; will a bunch of rb-35s for surround keep up ok with the rf-7s and rc-7, or am I going to be dissapointed if I can't afford to upgrade the whole thing at once (e.g. get rb-75s at the same time)?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Scott

I've actually contributed a few times to Bchild's thread. It does perturb me, but I go to Soundtrack, which is part of the UE corporation, but from which I've recieved nothing but excellent customer service and good prices. I also have a good relationship with a few of the sales people at that store. Finally, it's the only Klipsch authorized dealer within 2 hours of me. So for the time being I'm sticking with that particular store, although I'd certainly be hesitant to recommend other UEs to people.

Scott

When I got my RF7s I also got a pair of RB35s for surround duty. My reasoning was that surround wasn't as important to me as getting the best 2-channel system I could afford at the time. After I finally found an appropriate place to put the RB35s, I was pleasently surprised to hear how well they performed with movies. I use set them up as small speakers and cut the low frequencies to the sub. I don't feel like I'm mising out on anything at all when I watch movies.

Keep in mind that balancing the system will mean that you have to either bump up the RB35s or lower the RF7s, but once you do that - and find the right spot for the surrounds - you should be good to go.

Again, though, surrounds weren't my priority and I figured the RB35s would do just fine for reproducing bullets or other effects. I was happy with the match, I saved a little money and I was thrilled with the RF7s.1.gif

One thought here. As I am sure you are aware the 7's are markedly more efficient than the 35's. RF7 ~ 102db, RC& ~ 98db and RB 35 ~ 96 db. This will present you with a requirement to adjust your channel levels to balance your system. I would recommend you adjust your 35 to equal each other and adjust your 7s down to match/balance. It introduces less distortion into your preamp section. Just a thought you may want to consider getting RC7s for your surrounds as well.

I'm sure I would LIKE to get rf-7s for a surround system, but it will be some time in 2037 when I can afford to get 6 of them (for a 7.1 system). Perhaps I can get four rb-75s by 2007. In the mean time I'll probably have to go with the rb-35s and just make the appropriate adjustments. It'll be next year before I can upgrade my rf-35s to rf-7s...hey, maybe I could use the rf-35s are surrounds?

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback!

Scott