BIN Academy on ebay

rplace

I gave this one some thought but I'm gonna pass. BIN of 400. My trade off of paying your shipping and sending you my Black one first is still good if anyone out there has a Walnut or Oak. If your looking at this one on ebay be sure and give the pic of the back a long look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5750337878

No interest in the auction on my part, just passing on info.

Look at the back very closely it looks water damaged on the back of the cabinet. Be careful! I know a $400 BIN on an Academy would make most folks tend to jump immediately but be sure what you are going to get.

The seller seems to have not been forthright on the actual condition of it and what may have happened to it. He only mentions a damaged corner, but it looks like the particle board in the back is swelled unless I am hallucinating.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 10:24:29 AM rplace wrote:

...My trade off of paying your shipping and sending you my Black one first is still good if anyone out there has a Walnut or Oak...

----------------

Huh? Are looking to buy an oak Academy? I have an oak one that I am willing to sell (don't have a need for it anymore) that is in excellent condition, but I want a lot more than $400 for it. I have some good pieces of Styrofoam to package it with so that it does not get ruined in the mail.

Chris

----------------

On 2/8/2005 11:59:32 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Look at the back very closely it looks water damaged on the back of the cabinet. Be careful! I know a $400 BIN on an Academy would make most folks tend to jump immediately but be sure what you are going to get.

The seller seems to have not been forthright on the actual condition of it and what may have happened to it. He only mentions a damaged corner, but it looks like the particle board in the back is swelled unless I am hallucinating.

----------------

Good eye, Frzn.

PhotoShop is a wonderful tool. Anyone looking at this one, I suggest buying Frzn's instead.

5750337878.jpg

I gave up on selling mine and put it back in the HT system instead. After not having it connected for about a week and re-connecting it I have come to the conclusion that it makes too much difference to part with right now.

In addition, I was not looking forward to finding the right double walled carton and 2" styrofoam that I need to ensure its safe arrival. It will take more than $500 to talk me out of it now.

tigerwoodKhorns, Yea I am looking for a Walnut one first but would consider an Oak. I don't really need another one and am thinking of trying to put some new veneer on my black one. A while back I had a potential trade working as a guy here had a walnut academy but had black chorus or fortes so the black Academy would have worked for him, but that did not work out.

I have my original box and packing and would send mine out for inspection first so the other guy does not go without a speaker. I would sell my black one if I could come to terms with you...how much you want?

----------------

On 2/8/2005 1:56:17 PM rplace wrote:

I have my original box and packing and would send mine out for inspection first so the other guy does not go without a speaker. I would sell my black one if I could come to terms with you...how much you want?

----------------

I want $650 for mine. I saw a water damaged one go for $650 in December, I figured that mine is not damaged so it is worth the price.

Check out this auction ending today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5748915538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

If you don't win it, we can discuss mine if you like.

Chris

----------------

On 2/8/2005 6:08:23 PM edwardre wrote:

Two Acadamy's currently on ebay, closing in a few hours, both currently in the mid-$200's. Both are not mint, but are not trashed either......sounds like a deal for the refurbisher(s) among us........sounds like an 'esnipe' opportunity........

----------------

One is the one that I posted as an alternative to mine. This will be interesting. An auction just ended a few days ago for a black Academy that was in good condition, but had holes drilled in it for mounting.

Chris

----------------

Q: Is that water damage on the back? Thank you. answered on: Feb-08-05

A: We recently moved to a new house and the speaker has been in storage, but as far as I know it does not have water damage. Thanks.

----------------

----------------

That is MY question posted on the auction. Either the seller does not know what water damage looks like, or he is doing a bad job of letting the potential buyer "see" the speaker's bad side just as a "caveat emptor" or feigned ingnorance.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 7:56:49 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

----------------

Q: Is that water damage on the back? Thank you. answered on: Feb-08-05

A: We recently moved to a new house and the speaker has been in storage, but as far as I know it does not have water damage. Thanks.

----------------

How sleazy can you get? This thing is really water damaged, not just a little. Ebay is based on an honor system. If you have no honor, you should not be doing business there. This seller really pisses me off!!

7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif

Chris

----------------

Two Acadamy's currently on ebay, closing in a few hours, both currently in the mid-$200's. Both are not mint, but are not trashed either......sounds like a deal for the refurbisher(s) among us........sounds like an 'esnipe' opportunity........

----------------

Did someone here pick up these two Academys? (not the water damaged one!) The price was right!

Chris

----------------

----------------

Did someone here pick up these two Academys? (not the water damaged one!) The price was right!

Chris

Did anyone here see this 'sleeper'?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5749170273&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

I was outbid by a dollar, indicating that only the winning bidder and myself were in it to the end. To me it was only worth $75 or so as my Academy has a missing grille and one of the woofers has a small (repaired successfully) crack.

That's definitely water damage. We recently had a water heater leak in our basement while gone on a day trip to the mountains. I had a couple of pieces of similar construction to get wet and they exhibited the exact same damage. Swollen wood and pushed up the black finish. This guy is probably going to lose his 100% rating with this one. Quote from him:

"Q: Is that water damage on the back? Thank you.

A: We recently moved to a new house and the speaker has been in storage, but as far as I know it does not have water damage. Thanks."

With his wording I guess he thinks it keeps him safe. "As far as I know."

Grateful11

I wonder what I could sell my custom center for, if I was so inclined. It outperforms the acadamy, is a 3 way system using 2-10" kv1089 woofers, the midrandge horn is from a klf30 and the tweet is a EV T35. has a nice crossover and is wraped in beautiful 3/4" oak. It cost me about 500 bucks to build. Hmmmm what do you all think it might be worth if I was to sell it?

scooter

----------------

On 2/12/2005 1:45:07 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

I wonder what I could sell my custom center for, if I was so inclined. It outperforms the acadamy, is a 3 way system using 2-10" kv1089 woofers, the midrandge horn is from a klf30 and the tweet is a EV T35. has a nice crossover and is wraped in beautiful 3/4" oak. It cost me about 500 bucks to build. Hmmmm what do you all think it might be worth if I was to sell it?

scooter

----------------

The big question is "is it shielded?"

If not, you need to find someone who needs the exact size. I don't need the Academy because we moved and not have a separate theater room where we are going to install a projector. If it is not shielded, there are many options. But I have to admit that the academt does sound better than the heresy. I imagine some crossover mods can fix that.

Chris

It is way to heavy (approx 80lbs) to put on the top of a big screen, you would want to have a seperate shelf to support it. The woofers are shielded but not the mid and high horns. Before I got a projector I had a seperate shelf below the big screen it sat on, the big screen was raised and tilted down. Worked great that way.

As far as my center vs a heresy, my center outperforms a heresy hands down.

I'm not really looking to sell it though. I thought it would be ineresting to see what it might be worth compared to an acadamy for instance.

scooter

Here was the real sleeper but then again maybe not.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1113095593

I was the first view and emmidiately sent an email that i would buy it. I then waited until next morning and sent a follow up email.His response was that initial email must of got lost or something.

Then i read sold......figures.