need help

ismail

----------------

On 2/17/2005 8:00:04 AM ismail wrote:

any recommendations about excellent

stereo headphone

and ht headphone (supporting dd and dts)

regardless of budget

currently i have denon 230

i want to change it. it is ok hp

but i want more detail and clear sound

thanx

----------------

I don't believe i'm saying this but, try Bose. Now normally I would steer you away from Bose Speakers. But they do make a great sounding pair of Headphones.

Jesus, no....

The Bose Tripath (Tripod, Trisexual, Tri-whatever, damn if I can remember what they're called, I had a pair someone gave me, I left them at a friend's project studio and forgot them), for $200, are about the nastiest high-dollar headphones I've ever heard. Just like their god-forsaken cube systems, too much mid-bass, not enough of anything else....

Forget the "dolby digital" headphones. They're useless. I've auditioned a number of them, and they really don't do anything but crush your 5.1 signal down to 2.(-1) - Headphones don't do sub-bass at all. Simple physics prevents it.

For $100, the Sony MDR-V600's are a very solid headphone with great clarity throughout the frequency range. They lose quite a bit on the bottom, with a serious roll-off (unless you CLUTCH THEM TIGHTLY TO YOUR HEAD CONSTANTLY) at around 120Hz, but most phones aren't any different.

Outside of that, look to the professional grade models from Sennheiser and AKG, among others. Avoid BEHRINGER like the plague - their QC is absolutely pitiful.

The Bose Headphones are called TriPort.

I have the Sony MDV-R700's and I think they're great. Best set of headphones I've owned. Of course that doesn't say much, as I've never really owned anything else worth mentioning.

I've also never really seen any "Dolby Digital" headphones that were any good.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 2:13:54 AM Gramas701 wrote:

grado

end of story

----------------

Dito--I've got a pair of Grado SR125 headphones and I think they're great. Bass response is better than I have any reason to expect from headphones, the highs are sublime, and you'll be able to hear all sorts of detail in your recordings that you've never heard before (at least I did). IIRC, I paid ~$120 or so for them and to me, they're the sweet spot of the Grado line. Sure they make better headphones, but for triple (or more) the cost, they don't offer triple the sound quality. Some people don't care for Grado headphones' aesthetics, but I don't give a rat's arse what they look like as long as they sound good and are comfortable to wear.

wow, i know the bose listeners havent gotten around much, i have heard them, and just like everything else bose sells, well they are bose? alot depends on your budget, but the most important thing to do is audition alot, cans are a very intimate experience, and with good cans music and ht can be very engrossing, but on the other hand bad makes it bad, sennheiser, grado, actually go to headfi, or headroom .com, they have all bases covered there, plus they have an 800# where you can speak to a can geek, they are pretty cool