grills for Cornwall

jwc

Again, sorry for the big pictures. The fabric I used was from Parts express. They call this thier "vintage" fabric. It came 36 inches by one yard. I got two yards.

The material isn't SOFT. Not like the original Klipsch. However, I ended up liking it. It is a little tougher to work with. It is more durable and would be easy to clean if needed.

02010001.jpg

post-16499-13819261869544_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut the material to about 3/4 inch over each side. I then covered the openings with paper and tape so that my glue wouldn't spray onto them. I also used a drop cloth to keep glue off every thing else.

02010002.jpg

post-16499-13819261871694_thumb.jpg

This part is a little harder. Your fingers will get tired. You use the 3M 77 glue spray on the edge of the masonite the pull over the material and put on the material. The use clothes pins. I got this idea from this forum. You don't have to do this process quickly. Actually, the glue works better once it gets "tacky". Once all the pins are on, come back and "push" between the pins to make the between material stick. Let dry over night. You need to do this whole process w/o touching the front side. You don't want glue from your fingers on the front.

02010003.jpg

post-16499-13819261873724_thumb.jpg

Here is my grill next to the factory one. The same size. However, again, my masonite is ever so slightly thicker than theirs. Mine 3/16 thick. I thought this was a good move.

02030001.jpg

post-16499-13819261875704_thumb.jpg

You will need a stapler like this cheap one from Home Depot and the 1/4 inch staples. You will also need some velcro to cut into little squares. This size staples will not go through the 3/16 masonite to the front

02040003.jpg

post-16499-13819261877724_thumb.jpg

Now, line the two together and cut you pieces of velcro. Notice I did leave a few out. There are some on the factory that are not stapled but just stuck on. I think this is worthless. The won't stay on well, I I don't think they are needed. Put two staples in each velcro. Push very hard when stapling. If the staple doesn't go all the way in, it is easy to pull out and do again.

02040001.jpg

post-16499-13819261879694_thumb.jpg

BBAAAAMMM!!!

Perfect fit. My wife has a little more love for these.

These speakers don't have a back on them and there are no tweeters. That is why you can see through some parts of the fabric right now. Bob Crites is sending back my tweeters as I type.

The project was fun. Now...time to build some new cabinets from scratch.

By the way, I have no experience doing this kinda stuff. You can do it.

jc

02040002.jpg

post-16499-13819261881854_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. Why should we give you grief over which fabric you got? They are yours to do with as you please.

Makes me want to redo the fabric on my JBLs. THe frames on them are still in great shape. Perhaps I can just reglue a couple of loose spots on the fabric.

Marvel

Well, I guess I could consider them "original". I have grown to like em. They are more durable than the Factory ones. Not sure if I'm gonna put the KLipsch emblem on them. Right now, I'm repairing the corner defects on them and then painting them black. Will have these details up later. Thanks for the support.

jc

JW, I like several things about your grill manufacturing process. First you measured, then created a template which was dry fitted for precision. This meant that you then had two exact matches when you went to cut your boards. I also liked that after you painted the frames black and glued the grille material to the front, that you MASKED OFF THE GRILLE OPENINGS before spraying glue on the back side- to keep overspray off the critical openings area. Good thinking. Did you guys catch this?

Good thread and nice photos. Very well executed JW- you're one of the Cornwall Hall of Fame members...

Michael

Is it just cause I'm starting to really get into this, or is there a WHOLE LOT of rebuilding/modding going on these days?

----------------

On 3/14/2005 7:02:55 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I also liked that after you painted the frames black and glued the grille material to the front, that you MASKED OFF THE GRILLE OPENINGS before spraying glue on the back side

----------------

did you really use glue on the front side or just on the back edges ???

Nice idea with the different velcro placement. I basically mirrored my factory grills with the velcro placement. I'm not too concerned with removing the fabric. Besides...it's glued. This project was very cheap. Not too concerned if I had to start the process over. I still have the left over material to make 2 more grills and the templates. No measuring needed.

I DID NOT put glue on the front.

Gettin ready to DJ for my 12 y/o niece this weekend. I hooked my Carver m1.0t to the CW1's. Tested vs the KG 5.2. CW1's win. Can't believe it; evwen w/o a crossover upgrade (yet!) Those CW's will travel with me for a showdown. So glad I bought these.

Just finished redoing the corners since they were damaged. Filler and sanded. Now will paint black laquer in the upcoming weeks. My wife wants em Black.

Pics later.

jc

• 14 years later...
On 3/1/2005 at 2:27 PM, jwc said:

I whipped out the Rotozip and made the openings. I then spray painted one layer on one side with flat black. They dried overnight and I brought back into the house. They fit perfectly in the cornwall leaving about ~1/16 inch around edges. Now I just need my grill fabric to come in.

01310001.jpg

post-16499-13819261867264_thumb.jpg

I’m in the process of making grills for my 83 Cornwall 1’s and the rotozip seemed to leave a more jagged cut. Is that my inexperience or did you need to do some sanding to get it that nice? Great job buddy!!