grills for Cornwall

jwc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this thread, where several of us have been posting CW dimensions.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60171&sessionID={C3F107E4-E5DD-4286-9737-6CB62A1AC198}

I'll be posting the dimensions for a 1963 Verticals after this weekend. ONe of the above posts is specifically for the dimensions for the grille board. I will be making several of these next spring/summer if anybody wants any. Once I get set up, it should be an easy matter to carve 'em out. SHipping is another matter.. Might have some ready for pickup by the Pilgrimage however.

Michael

Colter,

I have read that thread. Infact, you will see I have posts on it!

Anyway, I'm not sure this thread answers my question. Maybe I missed it.

You quoted:

Grill board measurements for standard (horizontal horns) Cornwall

Height 34"

Width 23 1/2 "

But you would do well to measure your opening, then subtract about 1/8" from each dimension to allow for fabric to wrap around the edges.

Jim stated 34 1/8 X 23 1/2 (Is this where the 1/8th comes into play?)

Maybe I got this screwed up.

I apologize if the answer is in the thread but I can't find it. The question is "does Klipsch still sell the grills"? "Are the CW I and CW II grills the same"?.

thanks 1.gif

Call Klipsch for Grille info, but I doubt it. Those have been out of production for 20 years. Cant' get K57 drivers or replacement for those critical components, I do know that.

My spec sheet for CWII shows abinet at 35 3/4 x 25 5/16 outer BOX dimensions. Grille would be smaller by 1 1/2" (thickness of two sides) and another 1/8 or so (thickness of two x fabric for wrap around)

The specs I posted are for CW circa 1974.

I also have CW 1963 with non-removeable grilles- the fabric wrapped around the motor board, was stapled on, then motor board was permanently installed and components mounted to the back.

Hope this answers your question. If you have Corns just measure em up to be sure.

Michael

----------------

On 2/18/2005 2:10:10 AM ricktate wrote:

I would just measure your own,,make a carboard template minus 1/8 for grill cloth wrap around,,,then get some backer board and make your own,,,,easy to do.Black frabric from duracrest is exact match.Rick

----------------

Rictate,

Interesting. Explain your process a little more. You mean the "backer board" is actually the grill frame? How do you get the grill on there w/o wrinkles? Do you glue it or use small staples/nails?

thanks

jc

Colter, I've never heard of the grill cloth on the moterboard.

I know you are a big Cornwall fan. Let me ask you this. I may inheret a CWI with brown grills and unfinished birch. If there are pieces of veneer chipped off the corners, is this hard to repair? I assume its veneer. Isn't this the "woodgrain" outer layer of 3/4 inch Birch? Also, can't you sand this as well. I have some cheapie furniture from college that is pressed wood with veneer. There is no way I could sand this. Is there a difference. I assume there is.

Thanks

JC

PS Don't you have a 5.1 Cornwall surround? Do you use a sub?

JC asks the questions:

"I know you are a big Cornwall fan. Let me ask you this. I may inheret a CWI with brown grills and unfinished birch. If there are pieces of veneer chipped off the corners, is this hard to repair? I assume its veneer. Isn't this the "woodgrain" outer layer of 3/4 inch Birch? Also, can't you sand this as well. I have some cheapie furniture from college that is pressed wood with veneer. There is no way I could sand this. Is there a difference. I assume there is.Do you use a sub?"

Firstly, I've not done this YET, but I've been gathering info and have carpentry background so I'll be ready to go. Just wanted to clarify that. Any veneer that is to stay on the cabinet MUST be adhered completely before any other veneer or finishing can take place. I have a set of 74's that are in good shape except for edges and some chips and stains. Those will be filled with paste type filler (not plastic wood with all the fibres) and sanded. Then filled, sanded again. possibly again. Got to be flat and secure.

My 63's are different story, From the mitered edges, feels like veneer glue is dry and loose. I'm going to peel off as much as posssible, if more that 10-20% peel off easily, the heat gun will come out to scrape off ALL old veneer and glue. Again, have to have good substrate as I'm reveneering. If you're going to paint, just fill and sand.

Whether it's birch plywood or any other veneer hardwood, its' fairly thin. You could probably sand lightly with 220 and up sandpaper, but I wouldn't put 60 grit on the belt sander, you'd be through it in a hurry. IMHO, better to just start with new veneer material than try to refurbish the old, but depends on condition. My 63's have gashes all the way through the veneer, can't repair that. Klipsch speaker will be either 5 ply or better under the veneer, NO particle board or MDF on Cornwallls ever, I think.

I'm just using 4 corns with KLF-C7 center for now, with KSW12 sub cranked all the way to keep up.

Eventual system will include Vertical-Vertical on side-Vertical and Horizontals for rears. Bigger sub in the planning. RW15 or bigger prob.

Good listening.

Michael

----------------

On 2/18/2005 12:18:26 PM jwcullison wrote:

Colter, I've never heard of the grill cloth on the moterboard.

----------------

Michael has pair of Is, like my Vertical Cornwall (61-62) where you have to access the speaker from the rear. Lets put this in layperson's terms. The cane grill on mine is attached directly to the front panel of the speaker enclosure (permanently), and the crossovers and drivers are screwed or mounted onto the front panel from the rear. Therefore, on mine, there is no easy way to remove the discolored grill and replace it. However, there is a considerable lip between the cane grill and the front outer edge of the speaker. I plan on making another grill with black cloth (and a small frame) and attaching it on top of the original grill (from the outside).

Unless anyone has a better idea for the old Cornwalls.

Carl.

i read a thread on here where you just cut away the old grill cloth and make a frame out of masonite, put new grill cloth on and your all set. i plan on doing the same thing in the next couple of weeks. the other way to do it is remove all the componets inside and then remove the motor board. i have heard from forum member Good2BHome that the motor board is sealed in some way and you have to remove the 40 year old insulation which might not be a good thing. we will see

Ah!

My plan is to paint only. Possibly Black Lacquer or Piano Black.

So this would be the steps:

Sand, fill the defects, sand some more, sand some more, paint, then coating.

Would this be good?

Could these steps fix this:

sp4.jpg

Thanks again

jc16.gif

post-16499-13819261859304_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/18/2005 5:44:58 PM Budman54 wrote:

i read a thread on here where you just cut away the old grill cloth and make a frame out of masonite, put new grill cloth on and your all set. i plan on doing the same thing in the next couple of weeks. the other way to do it is remove all the componets inside and then remove the motor board. i have heard from forum member Good2BHome that the motor board is sealed in some way and you have to remove the 40 year old insulation which might not be a good thing. we will see

----------------

Russ - remind me - I take it you have a pair of Cornwall Is? Let me know how that goes. We are redoing our basement now so I probably will not redo the grill of my Vert. Cornwall for another couple of months - and I would value your experience before cutting out my old cane grill.

I have no plans on removing all of the components. Dean's new crossover and my rebuilt tweet is in place - the inside's staying as is.

Carl.

I'll be doing the same thing to my 63's, although I will be removing everything because of reveneering. Cane grill is actually wrapped around the motor board, then stapled on back side. Unless motor board is glued in place as well as wood screws, I figure I can make a better seal between motor board and cabinet structure by removing all remnants of cane grill. If it was a solid fabric, it would act as a gasket, but it's not. I do not believe this will disturb any of the tissue dampening material (someone make up a name for this stuff- looks like giganto maxi-pad, but that's not pc)

Will construct new 1/8 masonite frames for new grille material. WOuld like to do cane again, but looks like diff vendors are using different materials? Plastic, woven 'paper', haven't found real cane, probably too hard to work with. You'd have to wet it to bend it around corners . AHA that's it! the cane is so INFLEXIBLE that maybe wrapping around the 3/4" motor board was the only way they could find to stretch and attach it. Has anyone tried this material with the 1/8 masonite- MIGHT NOT BE POSSIBLE unless you use the newer synthetic cane.

Also looking into rabbeting out the front of motor board to front mount at least mid and high drivers. I've long been disturbed by the enormous edge diffractions that must surely be taking place.

Michael

----------------

On 2/19/2005 6:48:23 AM cjgeraci wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2005 5:44:58 PM Budman54 wrote:

Russ - remind me - I take it you have a pair of Cornwall Is? Let me know how that goes. We are redoing our basement now so I probably will not redo the grill of my Vert. Cornwall for another couple of months - and I would value your experience before cutting out my old cane grill.

Carl, I have 74 verticals in walnut with the cloth wrapped around the motor board. my plan is to make a set of removable grills in black and cane and xtras for future use. i will let you know.

i just removed all the innards to my newly aquired 74 vertical cornwalls in walnut with white grill cloth from forum member Phil_999. grill cloth was stained so i cut out the grill cloth to see if the motor board was stapled from the outside ( had a pair of heresys that were stapled this way ) and they were not. there is 14 screws holding the motorboard in from the inside and what looked like some liquid nails. with the front face laying down i tapped on all 4 corners and the motor board fellout. yeha!! all of this in less than an hour. you do not have to remove any insulation, again yeha!! i am taking pictures along the way for everyone to see. my plan is to make some removable grills in black cloth and cane cloth and whatever else i can come up with. gotta go look for a nice router.

Thanks budman. That's exactly what I was hoping to do . THe liquid nails must have dried with time. That could not have been a real airtight seal. So now are you going to securely glue the MB down? Is cane fabric or imitation in the cards? Have you gotten a supplier for Cane and if you have it already, can it bend around the 1/8" board? Should we prime/paint the grille board first? If so what color- maybe brown? or black?

Remember to put some plente of velcro tabs between MB and grille board, so they don't vibrate against each other. My 74's have 4 squares on each side, with several in the voids between drivers. Probably about 1 1/2 feet of 1" velcro per cabinet.

Thanks- have fun with the project. what year are your Corns, interested to know what year they changed over the construction technique, or maybe it's just all cane model were done this way?

Michael

Michael, we are only 90 miles from each other and when i cut some i will cut some xtras for you and whoever might want some. i might do some in 1/8 and 1/4 thick. i have a sample of cane from wendell and it is fairly close. greg up in maine told me its a little tricky to get it on straight.

One other option is to do what Greg did with my '72 heresys. He converted them into decorator models by cutting off the front lip to make them flush and veneered them all the way around. I'm sure most of you have seen pics of my zebrawood heresys after Greg finished them. They're beautiful! Corns would also be stunning this way. Just look at Chris King's!