Theater Research HiEnd Towers 1610

D-Rex

Has anyone had any experience with these speakers, any speakers from this company? While the looks of these speakers are certainly "HiEnd" (at least from my perspective), I can't imagine how these sound for $189...

I have been looking for a set of speakers for my dad and was just wondering what these sound like. Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks,

D-Rex

----------------

On 2/20/2005 5:44:37 PM psg wrote:

Theater Research are "white van" speakers. The kind you buy from guys in a white van in a parking lot; they tell you they are excess inventory and some such story. The web site is there to make you believe they are worth lots.

----------------

So, ultimately they are crap speakers they are trying to pass off as "HiEnd" and they have the website to prove it! Well, if the MSRP says they are worth $3K then they must be worth $3K! 2.gif

Thanks for the responses, I will pass on these and look for some reliable used speakers with a reputable name. Maybe those Fortes are still available for $250...

There were a lot of positive reviews from the seller, but look at some of the negative ones. Would love to know similar equipment used on either case. Something does not add up.

· This is a shady seller that tried to shill my bid.Buyers BEWARE DONT GET SCAMMED

· Fast SHIPPING, BUT Right Speaker BASE was DELIVERED BROKEN! Cardboard

· They took the money but never shipped the item!!! SO STAY AWAY!!!

· This is a shady seller that tried to shill my bid.Buyers BEWARE DONT GET SCAMMED

· Speakers arrived in factory boxes (very poor conditions) need better way 2 ship.

· never shipped item,had to get paypal to refund payment,email me for more info

· Buyer beware. Unreliable!!

· 30days no info given on delivery no refund offered xmas was messed up buyer beware

· Speakers are not worth 75.00

· VERY misleading description of TR2900 Speakers. DON'T BE FOOLED ! MSRP way high.

There were many of these.

· Rating Withdrawn: Buyer and seller mutually agreed to withdraw feedback for this item

Just for S&G's, I did a Google search on "White Van Speaker"

Here is a Scam Shield article about this practice.

Also, found an interesting 10-page thread on the LA Audio File message forum.

But as was explained, basically a couple of dudes approach you in a parking lot saying they got "an extra set" of these "hi-end" speakers. They then wallpaper you up with snazzy looking four-color glossies showing just how expensive and hi-end these speakers supposdly are. You think you got a good deal for buying a speaker that lists for $2,500 for $200, when in fact, the thing probably is really worth maybe $100.

But than again, Bose gets away with this all the time, but actually gets the full $4,000 on a set that is maybe $300 in actual worth.

To the original poster - yeah, if you can get those Forte's for $250, you are actually getting a real deal there.

• 15 years later...

I have had my set of TR-1610’s for about 10 years or so, love them! But I can’t find anyone that carries them or anything on the internet for them and they are going out on me. I think I paid around $300 for the pair, they were the floor models, and that store is no longer around neither

Edited by Redneck Randy

2 hours ago, Redneck Randy said:

I have had my set of TR-1610’s for about 10 years or so, love them! But I can’t find anyone that carries them or anything on the internet for them and they are going out on me. I think I paid around $300 for the pair, they were the floor models, and that store is no longer around neither

They are called white van speakers because they are usually sold by individuals in rented vans or SUVs as supposed surplus stock.  I personally would love to run in to such sellers some day.