Home Made Academy

rockbobmel

I guess I just can't see what is so magical about these CCs. Has anyone tried to make these with the same spec speakers and horn, Xover, and cab dimensions? Didn't they use these polycones and horn/driver ans xOvers in some other floor standing speakers that you could find used? There's got to be another way than $600.+, dont you think??

There is a better way. Like you said, build your own. Many of us here have built cutom centers because we were not satified with the smaller centers or the timbre matching. If you wanted to duplicate an academy it really wouldn't be that difficult. What are your main speakers? This will help determine what would be the best design for you.

I mayself couldn't use a La Scala for the center because of my screen. I decided to build my own and attempted to timber match my La Scala's. I feel I came pretty close and am extremely happy with its sound. I went with dual 10" klipsch drivers klipch K52 midrange and an EVT35 horn tweeter in a 3 way configuration. The cost of the drivers, crossover, and cabinet came to about $450.00 to $500.00. I used 3/4" oak 7 layer ply for the cabinet and it has 2 8"L x 4" flared ports in the rear and the other little things that go into it.

It kicks butt over an Academy, but then again, its just a higher end Klipsch center in the end. I spured no expense building it and I still came in less then what Academy's are going for.

Go for it and ask questions.

scooter

post-8797-13819262003972_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/25/2005 12:49:13 AM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

There is a better way. Like you said, build your own. Many of us here have built cutom centers because we were not satified with the smaller centers or the timbre matching. If you wanted to duplicate an academy it really wouldn't be that difficult. What are your main speakers? This will help determine what would be the best design for you.

I mayself couldn't use a La Scala for the center because of my screen. I decided to build my own and attempted to timber match my La Scala's. I feel I came pretty close and am extremely happy with its sound. I went with dual 10" klipsch drivers klipch K52 midrange and an EVT35 horn tweeter in a 3 way configuration. The cost of the drivers, crossover, and cabinet came to about $450.00 to $500.00. I used 3/4" oak 7 layer ply for the cabinet and it has 2 8"L x 4" flared ports in the rear and the other little things that go into it.

It kicks butt over an Academy, but then again, its just a higher end Klipsch center in the end. I spured no expense building it and I still came in less then what Academy's are going for.

Go for it and ask questions.

scooter

----------------

Or you can just buy my mint academy for $600 and not get your hands dirty.

Chris

The Academy woofers, tweeter, and crossover I believe are all still available from Klipsch parts, all you have to do is build the rectangular cabinet and put an input cup in it. Keep in mind though the parts alone are over $350. The Academy is just that good! I have had a KV-4, KG2.2V, and a KLF-C7 briefly and can tell you for clear consise dialogue the Academy is the clear winner.

Scooter have you ever heard an Academy, while the center you built if nothing short of awesome I think you would really be surprised at what the Academy sounds like. When I got it I certainly did not expect it to be leaps and bounds better that the other Klipsch centers but let me tell you it is. After you hear one on a quality system you will then understand why people are willing to pay what they do for one.

Frz,

Yep I have heard the Academy and almost bought one. Then I after reading HornEds and STL's center build projects I got the buzz on building my own. I think the biggest difference for me was the T35 (aka k77) that sets it apart. It really helps with the timbre match with the La Scala's. Trust me I know why the Academy brings such a high dollar, it is exceptional sounding. Besides not everyone has the tool, time, or knowledge to attempt a speaker build project. But if I can help them I am here to do so. I have sent many board members pics of the construction of mine so that they may formulate their own plans. In the end we are after the same thing. Damn we are just purist.

scooter

The Academy I think utilyzes the K-1011-KV 8" woofer (2 per). The 800 number was closed for the week when I just called, but I tend to doubt that this is still available for purchase, I have never seen one for sale on ebay from those folks who routinely sell Klipsch speaker components. I have been trying for about 6 months to get one, one of mine has a cosmetic (only) problem that I would like to correct. Can't see it with the grille on, but I KNOW it's there!!! (Another 'purist' thing)

The Academy works terrific with my small theatre's forte II mains, but it cannot compete with Khorn (or even Lascala) mains, not in the same 'timbre' league. For this task, I use a single Belle because the match is phenomonal, and the Belle is low-slung enough that is doesn't interfere with my 10-foot screen. I think you'd be better off using a Heresy between (true) Heritage mains than an Academy, but I can certainly attest that the Heresy cannot compete with the Academy as a center between Forte II mains.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 11:55:59 AM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Frz,

Yep I have heard the Academy and almost bought one. Then I after reading HornEds and STL's center build projects I got the buzz on building my own. I think the biggest difference for me was the T35 (aka k77) that sets it apart.
It really helps with the timbre match with the La Scala's.
Trust me I know why the Academy brings such a high dollar, it is exceptional sounding. Besides not everyone has the tool, time, or knowledge to attempt a speaker build project. But if I can help them I am here to do so. I have sent many board members pics of the construction of mine so that they may formulate their own plans. In the end we are after the same thing. Damn we are just purist.

scooter

----------------

Scooter:

Which center helped the Timber match with you La Scala's? The Academy or the Home Built Center in Oak? What veneer does your La Scala have?

Just get KLF-C7, Ok, I've never heard the Academy, but KLF is next genre, same 'type' of cone materials, same crossover points, nearly identical horn section. Between the Heritage 'pulp' woofers and Reference 'cerametallic whatever' there is the carbon fibre/poly coned series's, of which Academy and KLF are a part. If you're after timbre match to Heritage at a lower price point, this is it.

Don't let the perfectionists get to you. Academy might be 'better' but at what cost? I got 4 yes FOUR RB5's in pristine condition AND a KLF-C7 all in oak for $850. That's $170 per box!

Heck you can get a brand new latest and greatest technology RC7 for $650, why pay that for an 'old' speaker? (okay, a little tongue in cheek here- don't kill me)

Michael- who will be getting very dirty indeed building a custom center cornwall!

Gilbert,

My custom center is better timbre matched to my La Scala's, this is the one in the photo I posted, It is oak. My La Scala's are finished in walnut. I have thought about refinishing them in a lighter color since the decor has changed over the years. The walnut finish is actualy the second finish I did on them. When I bought them new they were raw birch and I finished them in mahogony. They stayed like that for about 10 years befor I re-did them in the walnut finish. I like the walnut but it is dark. Since I have done them twice now I hesitate to do them a third time only because the birch veneer is not very thick and I would hate to sand into the ply. I have also concidered doing a complete re-veneer but then by the time I buy enough and the amount of time to do I would prefer to by some Khorns, they are my ultimate goal. 16.gif

All you guys out there with Academys who love them - as I did - the speaker CAN be better than it is with an improved crossover network. I did NOT think it was possible, but after installing my DIY crossover boards with improved components this afternoon, this speaker is KILLER. The detail, clarity, and articulation are so far improved, I cannot believe it is the same speaker. It was one thing for me to hear it (I actually had to TURN IT DOWN)...but when the wife made a comment, it was "money in the bank". If anyone wants more details, please send me a note, I'll be happy to share.

Chris (still PUMPED about this)!!!

Glad to help BOb, and thanks to the others for not coming round here and beating me to a pulp for suggesting it. I think it's a great speaker, melds well timbre-wise (lets get the spelling and pronunciation right fellas) and is cost efficient, and readily available used in good shape. Try it, you'll like it.

Michael

Chris, your comments are very intriguing indeed. I personally don't think that the Academy is the best center speaker speaker out there available but rather think that it is the best I've heard so far that blends well with Forte (II's in my case). More info please, more info please......:)

ColterP, I totally agree regarding the $650 price tag these very often command. I personally wouldn't pay that much - nor would I suggest to others to pay that much. Got mine for $107, and I see deals for these in the 'under $300' (my limit for one of these) on occasion. Right place, right time. Patience has its rewards.

Does anyone here know of another Klipsch speaker that uses the same 8" woofer (K-1011-KV)? If so, perhaps I should be looking for one of these 'on the cheap' rather than searching endlessly (and patiently) for the driver by itself.......