Mixing Heresey II's and originals

RossVTaylor

Hi gang,

I just bought three Heresy II's for the front channels in my HT room. I've got four RS-3's for the side and back surrounds.

I just got the opportunity to buy two original Heresy speakers and I'm considering using them as the second set of surrounds for music (my receiver permits me to switch from the RS-3's to another set of speakers). I haven't owned Heresys since college and I seem to remember that they were two-way speakers. Is that correct, or did they have a mid horn and a tweeter horn? What's the dif between the originals and the II's? And, lastly, do they sound close enough that I can mix them like this for music?

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to five Heresy's in one room... smile.gif

Ross

Ross, The Heresy's are a three way speaker. The main difference between the Heresy and Heresy II is in the tweeter and midrange. These two drivers have changed from the original Heresy. I believe that they sound very similar to one another. Although some have said that the Heresy II has a little better bass response. Good luck with all those Heresy's. Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the verification. I couldn't remember exactly what my first Heresy's looked like... maybe it was all that frat beer? And BTW, I know when I write "Heresy's" it's incorrect. It's not possessive or a contraction, so there's really no apostrophe - but, "Heresies" can't be right and "Heresys" looks just plain stupid. Anyway, Ive strayed from the topic...

Ross

Funny you should mention Heresys. I purchased a pair back in 1980, and recently dragged them out of the closet to play in the surround back position on my Denon 5800. The Heresy's are flanked by KSF5 surrounds. Up front are RF-3's, a C3 (replaced my C6 which now decorates a basement corner), and a ksw300 sub, which may be replaced by one of the klipsch new subs later this year. Anyway, the Heresy's are beautiful in the rear position. The only problem, they are so efficent, I had to increase the output to the KSF5's and lower the output to the Heresy's, so the surrounds could be heard. Set it up and play the dts-es version of The Haunting, Pretty Woman live performance from the dts #4 demo disk, or for that matter, damn near anything. And you will be blown away. Glad I kept those speakers...now what do I do with that c6?

we are the borg...

I think you'll like 5 Heresys for surround. That's what I have, along with a Decware WO32 subwoofer.

As already stated, Heresy II has different tweeter and squawker than Heresy. If you do a search of the archives, you will find all you want to know. They have maybe a bit better high end and low end response. They definitely sound different to me. Whether they sound enough different to make a difference to you, I don't know. You'll have to listen and decide for yourself. My guess is that you will find them a good match as rear channels, probably better than what you have now.

BTW. The late (1984 or so) Heresys also sound different from the earlier ones because they have a different squawker.