Building New Heresy Cabinets

tonygeno

I just received a set of Heresy IIs that I purchased on Craig's List. They were professionally packaged by the UPS Store. One speaker arrived with two badly dented corners and the other a dented top edge. I am putting through a claim with UPS and hope to get some money out of the deal. Each speaker was insured for $500. I must say the packing job was terrible. I paid over $50 per speaker for packing and materials and the job was clearly inadequate. The box was only 2" taller than the speaker and they used a light wrap of the small bubble wrap. The rest of the box was filled loosly with styrofoam peanuts.

Has anyone built new cabs for the Heresy II or had them built locally? Is this a crazy idea? I have some woodworking skills, but have never been able to build a box with mitered corners that's been very tight. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I will upload some photos to show the damage.

if you file a claim, a UPS person will come to your home and inspect the damage. keep all the packing and the box it came in. i am 100 percent sure they will take your speakers, the box and all the packing and you will NEVER see those speakers again. hopefully the shipper of the speakers has the receipt. when will people understand that bubble wrap and peanuts will not work. i ship all my speakers with 2 inches of solid pink owens corning insulation. not one complaint.

Good luck Tony.

Insurance covers the shipper, not the recipient. Ask for your money back.

In a similiar situation I had where the packing and shipping were done at a UPS store, NADA!8.gif If the seller ever got anything, he never told me. Likewise FEDEX with another pair of speakers.

I've actually received money on claims from UPS. For this deal, UPS told me that it's between the UPS Store and me, not the shipper. I paid with a CC but I certainly don't think the shipper should be liable for the UPS store's negligence.

Getting back to the original question, has anyone built replacement cabinets for Heresys?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about the damaged speakers. I have been there.....

I bought a pair of AR LSTs on ebay a few years back and the seller basically dropped both of them in a big box and put some packing peanuts in the box and shipped them that way. By the time UPS delivered them the box was all busted up as were several of the corners on the cabinets. Amazingly none of the many drivers on the two cabinets were damaged.

Good luck with the insurance claim. UPS will of course claim that they were not adequately packaged and try to deny the claim. Hopefully the fact that a UPS Store packaged them will work in your favor.

Good luck,

Shawn

----------------

On 2/25/2005 4:27:36 PM sfogg wrote:

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about the damaged speakers. I have been there.....

I bought a pair of AR LSTs on ebay a few years back and the seller basically dropped both of them in a big box and put some packing peanuts in the box and shipped them that way. By the time UPS delivered them the box was all busted up as were several of the corners on the cabinets. Amazingly none of the many drivers on the two cabinets were damaged.

Good luck with the insurance claim. UPS will of course claim that they were not adequately packaged and try to deny the claim. Hopefully the fact that a UPS Store packaged them will work in your favor.

Good luck,

Shawn

----------------

Thanks, Shawn. I assumed that if they were packaged by a UPS Store, they would be adequately packaged. I got a bit agitated when the UPS operator said my deal was with the UPS Store in San Rafael, CA. I live in Mass. How am I going to deal with them from this distance?

UGH.

As to building new heresy cabinets - if you take one apart you will see a pretty simple structure. I is the way I make most my own speaker boxes. Build it as a replication of what you see. I would save and reuse the baffles if at all possibble since they are a pain to cut out. Square the box and then veneer. It is pretty straight forward.

Other than the rear damage you could probably have a cabinet maker repair the existing box and then put on new veneer with little real hard work. That back corner offers a problem and the integrity of the box would need to be part of the repair.

Good luck.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 5:42:48 PM hwatkins wrote:

As to building new heresy cabinets - if you take one apart you will see a pretty simple structure. I is the way I make most my own speaker boxes. Build it as a replication of what you see. I would save and reuse the baffles if at all possibble since they are a pain to cut out. Square the box and then veneer. It is pretty straight forward.

Other than the rear damage you could probably have a cabinet maker repair the existing box and then put on new veneer with little real hard work. That back corner offers a problem and the integrity of the box would need to be part of the repair.

Good luck.

----------------

Hmmmmm.... Repairing and reveneering might be an option. I will look into that. I can see that the front baffle would be rather tough to rout, etc. There doesn't actually seem to be a way remove it without cutting, or am I missing somethng? There are no screws that hold it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There probably isn't an easy way to remove the front - some Heresies are glued together.

Good luck with UPS. I've had several epic battles with them - each of which extended over several months.

Definitely pull the drivers and make sure they still work - I had one cabinet dropped so hard the magnet broke off the frame.

I wouldn't sent the drivers back with UPS unless they are broken. You'll never see them again, and your issues are with the cabinets.

Empty cabinets show up from time to time on ebay. Failing that, a Heresy shouldn't be too hard to make - as long as you have the tools and keep the cabinets airtight.

We feel your pain. I had an H-700 dropped so hard the woofer pulled the bolts all the way through the motor board (front) of the cabinet.

7.gif

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:28:18 PM CaptnBob wrote:

There probably isn't an easy way to remove the front - some Heresies are glued together.

Good luck with UPS. I've had several epic battles with them - each of which extended over several months.

Definitely pull the drivers and make sure they still work - I had one cabinet dropped so hard the magnet broke off the frame.

I wouldn't sent the drivers back with UPS unless they are broken. You'll never see them again, and your issues are with the cabinets.

Empty cabinets show up from time to time on ebay. Failing that, a Heresy shouldn't be too hard to make - as long as you have the tools and keep the cabinets airtight.

We feel your pain. I had an H-700 dropped so hard the woofer pulled the bolts all the way through the motor board (front) of the cabinet.

7.gif

----------------

Whenever UPS has taken things from me for inspection, they have always returned them to me the following day. Why is everyone saying I'll never see them again?

Well, because it's happened to us. I had a pair of ADS speakers packed (if that is the word) by a UPS store in Boston. They came crushed and dented. UPS picked them up about two weeks later. About six months after that - after who knows how many phone calls to various stations around the country - one finally returned. The other one had disappeared. This began another round of battles while I tried to prove that one speaker is not much fun when you were looking for stereo. UPS contended that since they only lost one, they only owed me for half the insurance.

Same thing happened with a 35 mm motion picture print. UPS lost reels 1,2 and 3, but delivered reels 4,5 and 6. So they felt they only needed to reimburse us for half the insured value. Naturally enough the distributor, Disney, felt half a movie was not better than none and made us cover the other $300.

I could go on, but it's time to go home.

Rumor has there is a vast warehouse in Colorado somewhere that all UPS damaged material goes to and employees of the company are allowed to go in and help themselves. This is probably an "urban legend," but I thought I'd repeat it anyway.9.gif

I called the UPS Store in San Rafael that did the packing and shipping. The owner was beside himself and contended that anything big and bulkie is a crapshoot. He said he'll go to bat for me. We shall see. The cabinets seem structurally sound, but I'm going to run some sine waves through them to make sure. Strangely enough this pair weighs 5 pounds more per speaker than my '86 Heresy IIs. Not sure why this would be so. Perhaps they used a heavier MDF by '89 compared to what was available in '86. They seem to match well to my other pair sonically. I'm setting up a Heresy 5 or 7 channel home theater and am very excited to get it all going.

the seller made out pretty good on this deal. He got all of his money and zero resonsibility for the damage. He didn't pack them though... so UPS should pony up. I've never had ups pay a damage claim. They seem to weasel out of it if at all possible.

Fed ex always honors claims. I've never had a problem. If an item is insured for $500 and it is damamged they don't quibble over how badly its damaged... they simply pay the insured amount to the shipper and usually return the item to the shipper. The seller then refunds the money to the buyer and it's done.

----------------

On 2/26/2005 10:07:18 AM D0N wrote:

the seller made out pretty good on this deal. He got all of his money and zero resonsibility for the damage. He didn't pack them though... so UPS should pony up. I've never had ups pay a damage claim. They seem to weasel out of it if at all possible.

----------------

The seller brought them to a UPS store for professional packing. Sheesh, if the UPS store doesn't know how to pack to UPS standards, who the heck does? One interesting point is that most of these UPS stores are independently owned and operated: meaning, you not really dealing with UPS at the UPS store. They all have accounts with UPS, so that in essence the "shipper" for my shipment was not the seller, but the UPS store in San Rafael. The owner of the store told me he's never had a problem getting UPS to honor claims. The issue here might be proving value: these are 15 year old Heresys. The seller insured for replacement value, i.e. $500/speaker. We might have to provide a sheet with MSRP to prove value.

They do play and sound good, so until Monday, I'll be enjoying them.

1.gif

The UPS lady showed today to inspect the damage. She took numerous pictures. I told her I'd like to to keep them but get some dough that could go to repair. We shall see. She did say that the UPS store owners are trained on packaging this stuff, so I hope they don't use the excuse that they weren't packaged properly. I'll report back with the resolution of this issue. I'm expecting another set of H IIs tomorrow from UPS via ebay. My fingers are crossed.

The Heresy used a metal mid horn, which probably weighs a tad more than the plastic one in theHII cabinets. Also, the earlier Heresys have the larger K55, same as used in the KHorn and LS . It is a little meatier than the mid driver in the HII. Since it crosses at 700 Hz, they probably figured they didn't need to use the larger driver anymore (among other things of course)

Love my HIIs. My son has Heresys. They are both great speakers.

edit: Just reread your posts and see they are both HIIs. Interesting!

Marvel