Building New Heresy Cabinets

tonygeno

----------------

On 2/25/2005 4:17:13 PM Budman wrote:

if you file a claim, a UPS person will come to your home and inspect the damage. keep all the packing and the box it came in. i am 100 percent sure they will take your speakers, the box and all the packing and you will NEVER see those speakers again. hopefully the shipper of the speakers has the receipt. when will people understand that bubble wrap and peanuts will not work. i ship all my speakers with 2 inches of solid pink owens corning insulation. not one complaint.

----------------

Well, they inspected the packing, and the speakers, and didn't take either: so much for your 100%. Maybe you were only 98% sure?

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:48:06 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Well, because it's happened to us. I had a pair of ADS speakers packed (if that is the word) by a UPS store in Boston. They came crushed and dented. UPS picked them up about two weeks later. About six months after that - after who knows how many phone calls to various stations around the country - one finally returned. The other one had disappeared. This began another round of battles while I tried to prove that one speaker is not much fun when you were looking for stereo. UPS contended that since they only lost one, they only owed me for half the insurance.

Same thing happened with a 35 mm motion picture print. UPS lost reels 1,2 and 3, but delivered reels 4,5 and 6. So they felt they only needed to reimburse us for half the insured value. Naturally enough the distributor, Disney, felt half a movie was not better than none and made us cover the other $300.

I could go on, but it's time to go home.

Rumor has there is a vast warehouse in Colorado somewhere that all UPS damaged material goes to and employees of the company are allowed to go in and help themselves. This is probably an "urban legend," but I thought I'd repeat it anyway.
9.gif

----------------

Hey Captain,

Just got off the phone with the UPS store in San Rafael and UPS is paying the claim. He's already got one check (for one speaker) and is expecting the other this week. He said he'd be mailing me the check by the end of the week. So far, so good.

----------------

On 3/22/2005 4:31:49 PM tonygeno wrote:

----------------

if you file a claim, a UPS person will come to your home and inspect the damage. keep all the packing and the box it came in. i am 100 percent sure they will take your speakers, the box and all the packing and you will NEVER see those speakers again. hopefully the shipper of the speakers has the receipt. when will people understand that bubble wrap and peanuts will not work. i ship all my speakers with 2 inches of solid pink owens corning insulation. not one complaint.

----------------

Well, they inspected the packing, and the speakers, and didn't take either: so much for your 100%. Maybe you were only 98% sure?

----------------

Tony, i just tried to tell you what UPS did to me when i had some damage to my shippment. glad you got to keep them. Russ

----------------

On 3/22/2005 5:02:30 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 3/22/2005 4:31:49 PM tonygeno wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

Tony, i just tried to tell you what UPS did to me when i had some damage to my shippment. glad you got to keep them. Russ

----------------

Yeah, I know. You guys got me so spooked out, when the results were a bit different, I wanted to share. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I've ordered some oak veneer for the box that's salvageable, and will keep the other box for parts, unless I get adventurous over the spring and build a new box for that one. I ordered 5 new grills from Klipsch (only $35 a piece) so I'll have 5 matching oak heresy IIs when all is said and done! I've begun refinishing them (they're oiled oak) and the first one came out great! This has turned into more fun than I imagined.1.gif

OUCH!

I had a similar when sending a Hersey to my brother in Canada via UPS. The box was well-wrapped and protected with a piece of luan (thin plywood) on the inside/front and lots of bubble wrap and spacers. However it did arrive with a serious gouge, not unike what I saw in your pictures. It was frustrating since I had just cleaned up and repainted the cabinet (the black plywood)and it was part of a Christmas present. Fortunately, my brother so blown away by the sound that he is not terribly bothered by the gouge. I guess when packages are so heavy, even the best of bubble-wrapping is not sufficient and probably does require the pink/rigid foam.

Good luck,

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

The End of the Story...

I just received a check for $785 from the UPS store.

I am amazed at how this has turned out and I still have the speakers, which I have begun reapairing. So to all you UPS naysayers: it does turn out OK on occasion.